Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Mircea, my questions were a bit rhetorical, but I appreciate your response, it clarified what I had a vague understanding of.

I was referring to the US, not a globalized view.
Why aren't we lowering the heat in our homes; moving into smaller, more efficient homes, getting rid of gas guzzler cars; tinting windows and using solar power in the southwest; using more energy efficient hot water, etc.
My parents, having been depression era, were very conscious of energy needs and costs. We lost that somewhere along the line.

I agree with the public transportation problems, they occur in every major city for the same reasons you listed.

Mircea:
So, yes, they could increase production, at least slightly, but you'd be asking them to fall on the sword and lose money hand over fist, lose the shirts off of their backs, just to pump oil so that it's cheaper for Americans.

There's no logical reason for them to do that. Maybe if the US had treated them as equals, with respect and dignity, they might be inclined to help the US out a little.

I couldn't agree more with your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, it isn't. Gas is very cheap in China and South America. Let's see...the dollar has fallen as we are now considered a rogue nation by the rest of the world (due to the war Bush got us into). This doesn't inspire confidence and so the dollar plunges and nations start to move away from the dollar. This makes everything (including oil) more expensive and guess who the costs are passed onto? And the record deficits are due to a war we were lied into by the Bush administration. I hope this makes things clear.
While gas is cheap in China, its because China is producing 4,000,000/barrels of oil per day, or about 65-70% of their own oil demands, and South America, I believe is running a surplus (couldnt find the statistic quickly enough)

United states is producing about 30% of our own oil demands having to import 70% of our needs (even though we can produce more).

How about the UK, which is paying $5.64 or Hong Kong, where oil is $5.62 per gallon. It has NOTHING to do with the war...

Also, the dollar is not falling because of Iraq... its falling due to excessive spending, and more and more demand for more and more programs. The federal government feels that it can continue to give out money that it does not have, and Bush does not control the money... Its Congress...

Spending money we didnt have was wrong when the Republicans controlled congress, its still wrong now that the Democrats are spending.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:54 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
While gas is cheap in China, its because China is producing 4,000,000/barrels of oil per day, or about 65-70% of their own oil demands, and South America, I believe is running a surplus (couldnt find the statistic quickly enough)

United states is producing about 30% of our own oil demands having to import 70% of our needs (even though we can produce more).

How about the UK, which is paying $5.64 or Hong Kong, where oil is $5.62 per gallon. It has NOTHING to do with the war...

Also, the dollar is not falling because of Iraq... its falling due to excessive spending, and more and more demand for more and more programs. The federal government feels that it can continue to give out money that it does not have, and Bush does not control the money... Its Congress...

Spending money we didnt have was wrong when the Republicans controlled congress, its still wrong now that the Democrats are spending.
Linky for why the dollar is falling?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Linky for why the dollar is falling?
I know google can be difficult to use at times..

Old 05-17-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I know google can be difficult to use at times..
It's because you are wrong. That's why I asked for a link.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
It's because you are wrong. That's why I asked for a link.
For gods sake, how lazy can one be.. The very first link..

Spiraling US Federal Debt Triggers Decline of Dollar

Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:

Oh so true..... Pork is pork regardless of who authors the waste. We have the ability to produce more oil, we have the ability to build more refineries, and we have the ability to develope alternte fuels. Instead we waste time and money on useless non-binding resolutions and corn based ethonol.
Diesel fuel is more efficient than gas and yet the big 3 are not producing vehicles able to run on diesel. Why? Diesel is cheaper to refine than gasoline.
Our woes are self inflicted and thats the bottom line.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
And don't you think for a MINUTE that his buddies in the "erl bidness" didn't get richer for that statement? It's so hard not to be a conspiracy theorist, but as soon as the saudis said "no", oil prices shot up ... to that I say ... CHA-CHING! Cheney just made some more deferred income!!!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
And don't you think for a MINUTE that his buddies in the "erl bidness" didn't get richer for that statement? It's so hard not to be a conspiracy theorist, but as soon as the saudis said "no", oil prices shot up ... to that I say ... CHA-CHING! Cheney just made some more deferred income!!!
Please list a source for the accusation that Cheney just made more income...

Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
For gods sake, how lazy can one be.. The very first link..

Spiraling US Federal Debt Triggers Decline of Dollar
You do realize that you are citing a source that claims 911 was an inside job, right? Perhaps you want to find another link.

BTW, that Federal Debt is due to spending on the war. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies