Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 06:53 AM

30,268 posts, read 18,825,757 times

Advertisements

I know that "driving while black" certainly happens, but I only experience this peripherally when black friends/associates are subjected to such BS.

My young partner, a very talented, kind physician (black- grew up in Queens, but no accent- son of immigrants with other brother a doc as well) decided to hit some golf balls during a lunch break, which we rarely have. He was driving six miles an hour over the speed limit in a 35 mph zone. I drive that street to work every day (at 35mph) and have cars routinely pass me like I am standing still.

He pulled into the hospital parking lot (in his mercedes) and was given a speeding ticket. During the processing of the ticket, a second officer was approaching the car from the passenger side with has hand on his weapon! This guy has a youthful, kind face and no one would ever mistake him for a thug.

I know that cops profile, but this is an outrage. This guy is no gang banger, speaks with far better diction than me, and is extremely polite and controlled. In a similar circumstance, I probably would have been shot, as I would have let the cops have it for being a-holes. This is not the first time this has happened to this kid, but is a little taste of what blacks feel when being pulled over by cops. He said this has happened to him in NYC as well, so it is not just a mid-south issue. I think that most cops are honest, good people, but the exceptions gain one's attention, like this situation.

One could argue that he was, in fact, violating the law by going 6 mph over the speed limit. As I had stated earlier, I think I am the only person in town who actually drives the speed limit on that road and I NEVER see anyone else pulled over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 07:03 AM

2,011 posts, read 872,708 times
A black co-worker sitting in the passenger seat of his friends Nissan Skyline was pulled over. Cop thought he was driving.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:09 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,284,494 times
That’s a consequence of blacks committing more crime than proportional to their population. The police don’t know your polite, youthful face friend from the next guy.

If blacks committing a lot of crimes went away, you will see this too will go away. The problem here isn’t the cops, it is crime in the black community. Take care of that and the driving while black phenomenon goes away too.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:10 AM

1,952 posts, read 839,877 times
The guy probably had his hand on his sidearm because black activists, leftists and the media have painted all cops in such a bad light and there have been many unprovoked attacks on cops recently. Can you blame him for being careful?

Like the black man driving...cops too now have targets on their backs thanks to the media and certain activists.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:17 AM

73,129 posts, read 62,974,069 times
Anyone who would justify pulling over a Black person because other Black people have committed crimes, said person isn't worth having a dialogue with on this subject. What said person is saying is "I am okay with you being presumed guilty until proven innocent". Anyone who thinks that way is as much a threat to me as a criminal is.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:18 AM

4,703 posts, read 1,992,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That’s a consequence of blacks committing more crime than proportional to their population. The police don’t know your polite, youthful face friend from the next guy.

If blacks committing a lot of crimes went away, you will see this too will go away. The problem here isn’t the cops, it is crime in the black community. Take care of that and the driving while black phenomenon goes away too.
Unfortunately this is ignored in cries of "racism". People are people and when a group of people commit crimes way out of proportion to their numbers it makes everybody else suspicious of that group. Black people do the same thing to Police. Since some police do bad actions it is assumed that all Police are bad and "racist". It's human nature and isn't changing anytime soon. Anyone else remember Jesse Jackson talking about walking at night and hearing a group of kids walking behind him and then looking and being relieved because they were white and not black. Then ashamed at himself for doing so.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:36 AM

2,431 posts, read 1,563,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What said person is saying is "I am okay with you being presumed guilty until proven innocent". Anyone who thinks that way is as much a threat to me as a criminal is.
An argument can be made that anyone engaging in mind reading people's posts aren't worthy of having a dialogue on this subject.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:01 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,906,300 times
OP, this is exactly what BLM is all about. Your colleague's experience is not unusual, in fact it's the norm for blacks in this country.

Like a lot of things, many people can't see an issue until it affects them personally.

Now you understand what blacks have been saying for decades about how they are routinely mistreated, or worse, by LE. Now you understand why BLM was formed. Good for you.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:05 AM

20,323 posts, read 21,116,243 times
The Lowe the speed limit, the less leniency.
When I was a youngin’ I got bagged for 23 in a 20. School zone. No mercy.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:07 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,906,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The Lowe the speed limit, the less leniency.
When I was a youngin’ I got bagged for 23 in a 20. School zone. No mercy.
You are ignoring the bulk of the OP's post. He sees drivers going over the speed limit there every day but only the black guy gets pulled over. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies