Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 07:59 AM

1,702 posts, read 782,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That does not absolve doctors of the RESPONSIBILITY to render proper care to their patients.
Right?

Many “Doctors” don’t even give the same amount of attention and proper care to their patients if they are women of color. They only care about helping Becky Sue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 08:01 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Does anyone have any explanation as to why black women have less access to healthcare? I hear this all the time. I heard some woman on doctor radio going on and on about how they help black women get access to healthcare and all their programs. Is this like how blacks can't get ID? Or how blacks can't get decent educations, even with preferential treatment via affirmative action?

I was listening to an Illinois state school board call at the beginning of the pandemic and they were going on and on and ON about POC and helping them through the pandemic when it was clear that everyone was going to suffer in their education due to the pandemic. At some point, when the CPS teachers refused to go back to school, I realized all their talk about helping POC with education was just a smokescreen because they did everything in their power NOT go back to the classroom with the help of the teacher's unions. I realized that all these programs to help POC were just a ruse to funnel more taxpayer money into programs that they support but they had no real interest in helping the kids.

So is all this talk about POC not having access to healthcare just another way to funnel taxpayer money to those organizations that give lucrative taxpayer paid contracts to their friends and colleagues?

Why can't black women get mammograms? Do they not know they are supposed to? Can they not find the mammogram centers? Is this just another money grab? There is Medicaid, the ACA with generous subsidies...so what is the issue?

I also hear that outcomes are worse for POC who have cancer, diabetes, etc. Is this because they don't do any preventative care or they don't monitor what they eat, etc?

The lady was actually saying they remind them about appointments. They can't remember when they have a doctor's appointment?

When does personal responsibility become important?

I am a breast cancer survivor. I didn't want to go get a mammogram. Who does? But I did. I took care of myself. No one showed me how to do it. I also try to watch what I eat. I love sugar but I have to not eat it because I gain weight.

Are we treating black women like children?
Many are too busy raising a family on their own and don't have the time.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:39 AM

24,626 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Many “Doctors” don’t even give the same amount of attention and proper care to their patients if they are women of color. They only care about helping Becky Sue.
When 80% of the demographic is overweight or obese, what exactly is the doctor supposed to do?

Quote:
About 4 out of 5 African American women are overweight or obese.
https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/b...lvl=4&lvlid=25

A doctors visit is no substitute for a healthy lifestyle.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:19 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
When 80% of the demographic is overweight or obese, what exactly is the doctor supposed to do?

https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/b...lvl=4&lvlid=25

A doctors visit is no substitute for a healthy lifestyle.
71% percent of Americans are overweight or obese. So doctors do not treat overweight or obese patients? If doctors are not supposed to do anything for those people, then most doctors would be unemployed.

Quote:

The National Center for Health Statistics estimates that, for 2015–2016 in the U.S., 39.8% of adults aged 20 and over were obese (including 7.6% with severe obesity) and that another 31.8% were overweight.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat...dult_15_16.pdf

Old 10-26-2021, 09:23 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Right?

That is the argument. However, if you look at the survey taken in the pain medication study, it’s not really willful. Seems more like some highly inaccurate assumptions due to American history and current culture that affect doctors’ decisions. It’s not that they only care about Whites at all but that they subconsciously think Black people can handle more pain.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:53 AM

6,661 posts, read 2,966,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s not that they only care about Whites at all but that they subconsciously think Black people can handle more pain.
Need more Black doctors.

Study hard, Kids!

Old 10-26-2021, 09:56 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Right?

That's not true. Now, I do believe a doctor will treat their patients differently depending on what kind of insurance they have.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM

21,928 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Need more Black doctors.

Study hard, Kids!

Not really. My understanding from doctor friends is that they are dumbing down medical school and lowering requirements to include POC for the sake of 'equity'. This is why many colleges are no longer requiring standardized tests. These tests limit the ability to use subjective measures to allow entrance by unqualified applicants.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:56 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've heard similar stories from white women. It's not that she was a black woman, it's that she was a woman.

Many doctors have huge egos and they're notorious for patting women on the head (so to speak) and sending them away.
Sure, but you're missing the point. Being a woman AND black only worsens the problem. Black women have higher incidence of pre-eclempsia but doctors are less likely to pay attention to their symptoms and ignore the issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...black-mothers/

Old 10-26-2021, 11:00 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As an Appalachian American (with almost all my teeth) who lives 30 miles from a doctor, there are multiple modes of transportation (government funded) that will drive to third world rural country and take you to a doctor appointment, most are free or a small fee of $2 each way.
Why do you assume that because such a service exists in your area that EVERYONE else must have it too? Lucky you! ...now, just spit on everyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies