Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 11:36 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times

Advertisements

Was the raping and murdering of hookers taken out of the game too... or.. nahh?

Old 10-25-2021, 11:37 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
^Do you have anything better to offer besides childish snark?

That depends, do you have anything better to do aside from being emotionally triggered by a flag on a video game character's t-shirt?

Old 10-25-2021, 11:38 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
That depends, do you have anything better to do aside from being emotionally triggered by a flag on a video game character's t-shirt?
Answering my question with another question is a sign of evasion. That tells me you were triggered by what I had to say.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:42 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,536 times
Quote:
Answering my question with another question is a sign of evasion. That tells me you were triggered by what I had to say.

LOL whatever you need to tell yourself. I couldn't care less about the confederate flag, but it's apart of our history. Acknowledge it for what it is, what it was, and how we as a society have evolved from it. Having said that, it's time to grow up and acknowledge that not every person who displays the confederate flag is or was a racist person.

Emotionally demanding to remove it in TV shows and video games (especially one that allows you to kill, rob, run people over with your car, and bang hookers) in hopes to rewrite history does nothing either. Because people like you are barely done drying your eyes before you're already crying about the next thing that offends you.

Instead of erasing history, we should be learning from it. Stop using the race card for everything and grow up.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

- George Santayana

Old 10-25-2021, 11:43 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Wild guess, I'm guessing this is your opportunity to vent racial resentment. I can't think of any other reason to say that.
Actually, you couldn't be more incorrect. You chose to ignore all the other "evils" of the game to focus purely on a symbol that was specifically intended to highlight the negative aspects of said symbol. From an objective standpoint, this focusing on narrow symbolism while ignoring the broader themes does provide some interesting insight.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:44 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
The right isn't racist. I'm mixed/half white and my party members have never treated me in a racist kind of way ever. As always, your emotions supersede your logic. Imagine being triggered by historical statues so much that you feel the need to tear every single one of them down, thinking that "rewriting history" is going to magically fix all of our problems.

Said it before and I'll say it again, please seek help.
LOL.

We support the slave-holding Confederacy. We love our Confederate flags. We love our Confederate heroes who fought for the right to be able to continue chattel slavery of black people and want to continue to honor them for their racists views.

But why, oh, why, would you all think we're racists?

LOL.

You seek help. Your cognitive dissonance is off the charts.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:51 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
LOL whatever you need to tell yourself. I couldn't care less about the confederate flag, but it's apart of our history. Acknowledge it for what it is, what it was, and how we as a society have evolved from it. Having said that, it's time to grow up and acknowledge that not every person who displays the confederate flag is or was a racist person.

Emotionally demanding to remove it in TV shows and video games (especially one that allows you to kill, rob, run people over with your car, and bang hookers) in hopes to rewrite history does nothing either. Because people like you are barely done drying your eyes before you're already crying about the next thing that offends you.

Instead of erasing history, we should be learning from it. Stop using the race card for everything and grow up.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

- George Santayana
I'm Black and I find paying homage to Confederates or representing with the Confederate flag to be disgusting. The Confederates wanted secession and were willing to go to war for it because they wanted to make sure they could keep Black people enslaved perpetually. Articles of Secession, Confederate Constitution, the Cornerstone Speech. Those are original documents that show what it was all about. There is a reason the majority of Black Americans find the Confederate flag to be a racist symbol. And do not show me photos of one of those few Black people flying a Confederate flag. No. For those few that do, most don't have any respect for the Confederate flag.

Removing Confederate flags is a recognition that some causes and some people don't deserve accolades and honor. When one flies a Confederate flag, one is representing the Confederate cause, period. It doesn't matter what reason they give. What matters is what the Confederate cause is about. Same goes for the Nazi flag. And yes, I compared the Confederate flag to the Nazi flag. That is how I see things.

By the way, I've never played the video game in question. I just hate the Confederate flag, and Confederate statues. And I have no reason to have any respect for such symbols. To me, a community that openly pays homage to Confederates in big ways, that is a community I don't want to live in.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:57 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
No, I'm arguing that the focus on representation ignores the, supposedly, broader goal of creating an ever improving environment for the constituents. Racial representation is a means, folks insist on making it the ends and then moving on.
Ahh, so you are saying that Blacks who really want a Black representative who actually understands their issues and has lived their experience, don't really know what they want, and should settle for some rich White guy who has never been poor and thinks most minorities are just whining. Because the rich white guy "knows what's best"? That's pretty condescending

Old 10-25-2021, 12:04 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Welp, no more GTA versions for me until they get a grip.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:04 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Ahh, so you are saying that Blacks who really want a Black representative who actually understands their issues and has lived their experience, don't really know what they want, and should settle for some rich White guy who has never been poor and thinks most minorities are just whining. Because the rich white guy "knows what's best"? That's pretty condescending
Your analysis seems a stretch, at best. I was pointing out that there are many examples of blacks having the ability and have exercised that ability to have racial representation. To then stop there and not move on to the efficacy of that representation is the broader problem.

Unless of course what you're implying is that since blacks voted those blacks in, that they somehow "deserve" the ever worsening conditions they are experiencing. That's pretty condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies