Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 08:45 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Are we the only country this stupid? Forgoing our own nationalism and soventry to placate foreigners who likely don't even care
It's all because of this radical liberal, so-called progressive movement in our country that seeks to eradicate our borders, our national sovereignty and our identity as a nation. We are supposed to be the flophouse to the whole world and thereby giving up our nationalism and our rights as citizens of this country. They are loving this balkinized, so-called multi-culturism which is dividing us. Serves their globalistic mindset. They make me sick to my stomach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 09:17 AM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
If this is true its unbelievable. However I don't automatically believe people pushing politics on the left or right. Too many outright lies. Perusing the link story I do not see the actual document in question.

So I did some research. Turns out its not a national parks guideline as the title of this thread implies.

Equity Language Guide

Its not the federal government or the National Parks Service but a group called the NRPA. National Parks and Recreation Association. Private group not part of the government. They claim to have 60K members. There are over 1 million state and local people working in parks and recreations and 600k more on a federal level. So this is just some fringe leftist group that does not have the last say on any of this and represents at best 4% of recreation workers.

So we can all back off the ledge. The sky is not falling. Its amazing how easy many of you can be beat into a frenzy. I like what Reagan used to say. Trust but verify. I just faollow the verify advice.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 10-25-2021 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-25-2021, 09:24 AM

1,926 posts, read 817,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
This is not the America of 10 years ago, and not in a good way.
“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” Barak Obama Oct. 30, 2008

Not enjoying the transformation?

Old 10-25-2021, 09:32 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And the tourists who pay to visit them. Yellowstone, as an example, has a $35 fee for a passenger car. There were over a million visitors this summer.

National Parks are good business, and NOT just for Americans.
I think this is sadly why we need to read the actual guide.

Undoubtedly, a measurable % of visitors to any National Park are tourists from other countries. We certainly want them to feel welcome, just as we would want to be welcomed to parks in their country. So, I'm having a hard time understanding what the purpose of any comment on "American" serves, especially when this was also included:

Quote:
It was here that they further revealed a distinction between “white supremacy” and extremist groups like the Ku Klux Klan and the neo-Nazis. They wrote that white supremacy is ever-present in our institutional and cultural assumptions and that they often assign value, morality, goodness, and humanity to the white group. The document went further, saying that often they cast people and communities of color as worthless, immoral, bad, inhuman, and undeserving.
that's straight-up "White Fragility" nonsense.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
from the article:
"The guide also said that “alien” is offensive when used to refer to people, and it should not be used, even in reference to plants."

https://www.nrpa.org/siteassets/nrpa...10-21-2021.pdf

defending invasive species.
I can see removing "alien" when talking about plants (I mean, who doesn't use native vs invasive), but the rest of that was so woke-tard as to be laughable.

while we're at it, find me where they stopped alerting people to the destruction caused by some invasive plants and species.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
If this is true its unbelievable. However I don't automatically believe people pushing politics on the left or right. Too many outright lies. Perusing the link story I do not see the actual document in question.

So I did some research. Turns out its not a national parks guideline as the title of this thread implies.

Equity Language Guide

Its not the federal government or the National Parks Service but a group called the NRPA. National Parks and Recreation Association. Private group not part of the government. They claim to have 60K members. There are over 1 million state and local people working in parks and recreations and 600k more on a federal level. So this is just some fringe leftist group that does not have the last say on any of this and represents at best 4% of recreation workers.

So we can all back off the ledge. The sky is not falling. Its amazing how easy many of you can be beat into a frenzy. I like what Reagan used to say. Trust but verify. I just faollow the verify advice.
thanks for the link. the big hullabaloo

Quote:
citizens/Americans: When we talk about parks and recreation serving communities, we are usually
talking about how they serve all people whether or not they are a U.S. citizen. Referring to “residents”
or “members” of a community can be a more inclusive approach, especially in communities with a high
percentage of immigrants or refugees. Likewise, avoid using the term “Americans” generically for a
group as it can imply the group you are speaking about is limited to those who have American
citizenship. Using “American” for other uses is fine, such as, “American Indians,” or “American
infrastructure.” (Sierra Club) Updated October 21, 2021

Old 10-25-2021, 09:39 AM

382 posts, read 124,179 times
I just downloaded and am now reading the 17 page document. From the document:

"The words we use matter — language has the power to uplift as well as marginalize. From the time we start learning how to communicate, we unconsciously take in the implicit biases in our language. We may not realize certain words, and how we use them, can be damaging to others. With so many ways to convey a single thought, finding the “right” word can be difficult."

I am going to say some things here that are not politically correct and may be hurtful to some, but I am not going to apologize, and I am not sorry. The document is correct that language has power and does contain implicit bias, and even that it can be damaging. This is right.

"With the constant evolution of language, personal preferences and changing contexts, the “right” word rarely exists. However, understanding which words may be more appropriate than others in certain situations can reinforce our values of diversity, equity and inclusion while inviting others into our work."

Dear Equity Team,

Diversity, equity, inclusion, fairness and words like this are dog whistles to me and many others that signal "this is not a place where patriotism, conservatism, Christianity, and traditional beliefs or opinions will be tolerated, included, respected or recognized as an inherent part of diversity in the United States and as deeply rooted in culture. We seek with this 17 page document to marginalize and erase these elements, as they are not welcome."

"Most importantly, when we make thoughtful word choices, we can be part of creating a more inclusive environment. As the creators of community"

Dear Equity Team,

National parks are not creators of community. I have been to many national parks; they are places for rest, relaxation, recuperation, enjoying and learning about the outdoors, etc. It is not the role of national parks to be "creators of community." Creators of community would be families, neighborhoods, churches, schools, work places, etc.

"park and recreation professionals can especially benefit from using language that is inclusive and welcoming for all people. This guide can help those in the field of parks and recreation use consistent and appropriate terms related to diversity, equity, inclusion, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, ability and more."

Dear Equity Team,

Not your job.

"NRPA hopes this guide will inspire more inclusive communication throughout the park and recreation profession — helping create communities where everyone feels welcome to participate fully as their true selves."

Dear Equity Team,

By using these dog whistle terms, I feel unwelcome now at national parks.

"Black, African American: The capitalized term Black is..."

The word "black" should not be capitalized; capitalization indicates supremacy. When "white" is capitalized, we know what that means. Therefore, if any race is capitalized, to me it has the same implications. When "black" is capitalized, to me this indicates that black people will receive special treatment, special regard, and other social privileges that are conveyed to groups deemed worthy (previously-marginalized groups).

But would my thoughts, feelings, and opinions be treated with equality (equal regard), fairness (receiving the same consideration and respect), and inclusivity (be included in such documents going forward)? No, no, and no. This is why these terms are dog whistles signaling things that are the opposite of what they claim to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You believe this group has no influence and is not training employees? You believe that this group's influence will not continue to grow and its trainings at some point become mandatory? Looks to me like they are affiliated with government:

https://www.nrpa.org/About-National-...al-affiliates/ -- NPS.gov is an affiliate

Perhaps this group has more influence than is known about.

Last edited by ResistTheReset; 10-25-2021 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-25-2021, 09:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
When we were in Yellowstone in July, there were as many German and Japanese tourists as there were American natives. Nobody seemed to be upset about it in the least.
This summer was the first time in years when it seemed like the (scant) majority of national park visitors we saw were actually Americans. In non-covid times, places like Zion or the Grand Canyon or Yosemite will seem to have a few Americans and the rest are folks doing their gosh darned best to live up to every possible global stereotype of their people whether it's the Japanese so caught up in getting the perfect picture they nearly get hit by a park shuttle bus, the Chinese trying to push their way everywhere, the Germans in funny hats walking past the signs that say 'Danger!!!Do not go beyond this point, 1000 foot drop off!!! Danger!!!', the Aussies trying to be everyones' friends, the very thin chain smoking French women with no muscle tone, the Canadians with little flags on their day packs....

Old 10-25-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The next Republican President needs to purge the federal bureaucracy of the Marxists behind these policies. They are identifying themselves and we need to remember who they are.
note in this case it's not actually "government".

Unlike Biden's declaration they're no longer "illegal immigrants" or "illegal aliens"

Old 10-25-2021, 09:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
So National Parks are a tourist destination for not just Americans.

So you are offended that this is noted that not all park visitors might be Americans?

REally -- that's what is triggering you today?

What next --- identifying sites that only Americans can visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies