Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 09:52 AM

6,071 posts, read 2,862,277 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZvee3-PEzo

I'm glad to see there are other people who finally see these downsides, rather than just the upsides... I am in total agreement with what the author of this video says!

I think social media is the direct cause of our "division". The world would be a much better place without it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 10:00 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,302,396 times
Humans like novelty. Eventually all novelty wears off and we seek something new. I see people taking selfies on the bike trail I've ridden 100 times...I see people addicted to clash of clans, I see myself posting here when I intend to quit... They know how to suck us in and take advantage to our biological cravings. Even Reddit echo Chambers are variations on this theme...people want to hang around people who share their views and social media helps push this....so we become less tolerant of others. Lots of little echo Chambers..... And people who show the best parts of their lives makes others want to chase these experiences also... The hamster wheel of consumption, of seeking to fill that dopamine craving, thrills.... A lot of people have become burnt out from overstimulation. We also have hedonic adaptation, which he mentions. We take all this stuff for granted.

Great video.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Humans like novelty. Eventually all novelty wears off and we seek something new. I see people taking selfies on the bike trail I've ridden 100 times...I see people addicted to clash of clans, I see myself posting here when I intend to quit... They know how to suck us in and take advantage to our biological cravings. Even Reddit echo Chambers are variations on this theme...people want to hang around people who share their views and social media helps push this....so we become less tolerant of others. Lots of little echo Chambers..... And people who show the best parts of their lives makes others want to chase these experiences also... The hamster wheel of consumption, of seeking to fill that dopamine craving, thrills.... A lot of people have become burnt out from overstimulation. We also have hedonic adaptation, which he mentions. We take all this stuff for granted.

Great video.
Yep!

I hope more people take note of the contents of this video!

Old 10-23-2021, 11:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
A lot to unpack here, I'll get into some of it.

Yes he is accurate on many points. However self control and critical thinking is needed in all aspects of life but especially with internet and the constant bombardment of info, opinions and propaganda.

But it is not just internet cultivating echo chambers, in fact it is the internet that exposed us to many teachers recently caught on video trying to indoctrinate kids in classrooms, who may have gotten away with it if not for internet sharing and exposing.

Look how mainstream media ridiculed Rand Paul for grilling Fauci over supposed weaponizing of COVID and declared MAGA heads and Rand Paul as morons, only to find out in the last few days yes it seems COVID was weaponized in a lab.

If not for the internet those that indoctrinate like school systems and mainstream media would be free to do so even more. No wonder why then that now there are those seeking to censor the internet because.

Facebook, I get on there and only check on family and friends, I never get involved in rants about politics or religion, even when I'm tempted to. It has been valuable for me to keep informed on friends and family when there isn't always time to do a 30 min phone conversation or because they are on the other side of the country. It is all how you use it and allow yourself not to be controlled.

City data, I actually look more forward to disagreeing view points from me , I don't want a echo chamber, I'd rather engage and debate. Sometimes my mind has been changed. Some people would rather surround themselves with agreement, but I don't want that. Look at Biden's latest town hall, all cherry picked people who agree with him, shielded from hard questions.

Yesterday school bus stopped in front of me, out came several kids and the moment their feet hit the ground they were staring in smart phones. You see friends and family having dinner and everybody is staring down into the smart phone. Now that needs a little self regulation, everybody is staring down at a screen at who knows what on it, when people need to look up and around a little more. He is correct about the disconnection among people in that regard.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:53 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,298,793 times
Do not agree. The problem isn't social media - which if used correctly keep the population informed and the government on its toes.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:55 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Interesting video, OP. There's a lot to think about here. Thanks for posting it.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,445,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Do not agree. The problem isn't social media - which if used correctly keep the population informed and the government on its toes.
So what are you arguing, that social media should not be monetized? Monetization is a part of the problem because they build the algorithms and give you preferences such that you create your own bubble, many times without even knowing you did that. Is it possible to build and distribute social media in a way that is not manipulating the masses? I don’t think so.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Is it possible to build and distribute social media in a way that is not manipulating the masses?
The only way I could think of is to make users pay a monthly fee, instead of having advertisers. It would help, but I do not believe that would wholly solve the problem, nor would it be popular. People would rather have their data mined than pay a monthly subscription.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Facebook, I get on there and only check on family and friends, I never get involved in rants about politics or religion, even when I'm tempted to. It has been valuable for me to keep informed on friends and family when there isn't always time to do a 30 min phone conversation or because they are on the other side of the country. It is all how you use it and allow yourself not to be controlled.
Facebook really isn't the issue. I'm more concerned about SnapChat, TikTok, and to a lesser extent, Instagram. That's where all the Marxism is being spread through the young people.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,766,178 times
Social networks are also a huge waste of time. I have managed to stay away from social networks, despite people at times asking me if they can reach me on FB. Those looks when I tell them I am not on any social network and don't even have a smartphone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies