Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 10:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, the jobs of police officers in cities need to be elected positions, and maybe every citizen is required to serve a 2 yr term as a cop in their city, but no one could hold the position for longer than 2 yrs.

Something different needs to be done, that much is clear, we cannot reach a point where we have police states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 10:30 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
In my opinion, the jobs of police officers in cities need to be elected positions, and maybe every citizen is required to serve a 2 yr term as a cop in their city, but no one could hold the position for longer than 2 yrs.
Right now every police agency in the country has a hard time hiring people.

Now you are proposing some wacky idea that police officer should be an “elected” position?

In addition, how do you gain any police experience after 2 years? You want 1 year rookie to work as homicide detective or SWAT or patrol sergeant?

Old 10-27-2021, 12:15 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You need to move the hell out of there!!
Many people are leaving. The very ones who voted for this mess are leaving it behind and going else where where they will vote for the same crap and ruin another place

Old 10-27-2021, 12:40 PM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times
I'm not worried. I'm sure there's an army of clip-board wielding social workers standing by, chomping at the bit to jump into the fray. A few kind words from them is all it will take to calm these out-of-control hooligans. Of course, when said social workers start getting offed in record numbers it will somehow be Trump's fault.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:10 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
You mean slashing police’s budget to pay for other social programs?

That’s actually defunding police
People in my community call the cops to find thei lost dogs. There are times I am stunned at the stupid reasons people call the cops. What’s it cost to send 1 or 2 LEO in and the car. Then arrest. Get the DAs office involved. Then the judge lets them out on a pr bail with a monitor. That’s a lot of man hours for shop lifting a 20 $ item.

And my county and the state had a lawsuit filed about bail. Just part of the national movement for bail reform. All our county judges were elected by straight party voting. So there are a lot of career criminals being released. The bail bondsmen are losing business so they are doing way less than 10% , and letting criminals pay it off on time. So the career criminals are robbing to make their bail payments.

The city and county LE got budget increase. Some say it was for higher insurance cost. The deputies hired are in the courts and jail not on the street. The jail usually has 9000 inmates.Some say it is the largest mental health facility in the state.

Crazy times. SMH.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
People in my community call the cops to find thei lost dogs. There are times I am stunned at the stupid reasons people call the cops. What’s it cost to send 1 or 2 LEO in and the car. Then arrest. Get the DAs office involved. Then the judge lets them out on a pr bail with a monitor. That’s a lot of man hours for shop lifting a 20 $ item.

And my county and the state had a lawsuit filed about bail. Just part of the national movement for bail reform. All our county judges were elected by straight party voting. So there are a lot of career criminals being released. The bail bondsmen are losing business so they are doing way less than 10% , and letting criminals pay it off on time. So the career criminals are robbing to make their bail payments.

The city and county LE got budget increase. Some say it was for higher insurance cost. The deputies hired are in the courts and jail not on the street. The jail usually has 9000 inmates.Some say it is the largest mental health facility in the state.

Crazy times. SMH.
as a veteran street cop for the largest sheriff department in the country, if your city sends cops to look for lost dogs, then your city is most likely not on the list of “**** the police” or “ACAB” or “defund the police” cities

Old 10-27-2021, 01:35 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
The people in Austin. TX are now seeing the huge price to pay by getting all "woke" and supporting the de-funding of their police in the emotional wake of the George Floyd incident. Austin has crazy high violent crime rates right now.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:49 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/Noahpinio...73954906640390

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...mpression=true

Crime skyrockets and the non criminals don’t like it….imagine that
There are more sane people than democrats.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'm not worried. I'm sure there's an army of clip-board wielding social workers standing by, chomping at the bit to jump into the fray. A few kind words from them is all it will take to calm these out-of-control hooligans. Of course, when said social workers start getting offed in record numbers it will somehow be Trump's fault.
Ah, yes, those burned-out, underpaid social workers will handle the problem.

https://news.tulane.edu/pr/burnout-a...esearchers-say

https://www.payscale.com/research/US..._Worker/Salary

Old 10-27-2021, 02:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Defunding vs cops can do no wrong are dumb options. Most people want bad cops and bad practices stopped but understand police are vital for society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies