Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 08:21 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times

Advertisements

I believe they should vote all of them out, the school board serves the students best interest and community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 08:32 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I see, so you believe people without children in the district should not be able to voice their concerns about the curriculum taught to the next generation.

Of course that also means you believe similar people without kids should not be allowed to sit on the school board, or is that too consistent for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And by outside agitators, you mean people who don't live in the district so aren't paying taxes toward the school?
I believe that people who live outside of the school district should not be agitating for curriculum changes. Let them go to their own local school board meetings.

Childless people who live in the district and pay school taxes have every right to speak up at their local school board meetings. We all benefit as a society from having an educated populace. Many have grown children and so understand children's needs. Some haven't started a family yet but probably chose the town or district for the schools. I wouldn't want to stop people who actually live there from giving their opinions.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I believe that people who live outside of the school district should not be agitating for curriculum changes. Let them go to their own local school board meetings.

Childless people who live in the district and pay school taxes have every right to speak up at their local school board meetings. We all benefit as a society from having an educated populace. Many have grown children and so understand children's needs. Some haven't started a family yet but probably chose the town or district for the schools. I wouldn't want to stop people who actually live there from giving their opinions.
I agree with you.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Sounds good to me

Old 10-28-2021, 08:54 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
First amendment applies to school boards.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What does the the First Amendment have to do with a school board telling parents they cannot speak at a school board meeting without giving out their address?

Old 10-28-2021, 09:11 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What does the the First Amendment have to do with a school board telling parents they cannot speak at a school board meeting without giving out their address?
Citizens have a right to state their opinions of board members. The board may not limit such speech.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:14 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Citizens have a right to state their opinions of board members. The board may not limit such speech.
True. But they can sure as heck limit it during a board meeting. That's governed by the bylaws of the board and local statutes. In general, public comment is very often limited to the public comment periods to a limited number of people for 2-3 minutes. Hooing and hawing and generally being disruptive at any time and you get the boot. After 2-3 minutes, you get the boot. I've been in some really lively board meetings. They all, nonetheless, have been orderly.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:16 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how do they get away with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2xP7kt0Hi4
This is probably the only way to have a civilized discussion. You can't just have a free for all because nothing would get accomplished. I do think parents should be allowed to request a different meeting with them to discuss the issues they have though.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
True, but that has nothing to do with your statement, which was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader
So again, I ask, what does the First Amendment have to do with school boards (not citizens)?

ETA: Wait, did you mean to write, 'school board meetings' instead of school boards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies