Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 01:34 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That was great if you were a white male.

The 70s was even better, because those things were still true, but blacks and women could enjoy them as well.
Any good that came from the 1950s, is outweighed by the bad, especially if you were Black. So far, no one has been able to refute that. No one has been able to refute that Blacks have more freedom today than in the 1950s. No one.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:34 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Probably the late 1990s. The economy was great, we weren’t fighting any big wars, and the biggest thing we had to fight about was who gave the President a BJ. Music was good, inflation was low and we had the internet but it wasn’t ubiquitous.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:35 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I don't know that I'd want to be born more than 10 years before when I was. Us homos had a rough time right up to the 2000s. There's a sweet spot of being born in the early 80s where I could have gotten a full ride to college, gotten established in my industry, then bought a house before the mortgage bubble inflated and popped, all while still living relatively freely (with no ubiquitous social media either). It would also have been nice to have more time to enjoy life, settle down, and prepare for the neverending sh*tshow that will start this decade even if we manage to recover from covid.

Otherwise, this timeline suits me just fine.
Aww...it wasn't that bad. I came out in '91. Plus, I didn't miss any of that fabulous club life in the latter 80s and early 90's.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:38 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
The period between 1890 and 1910. Probably on the west coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Critical race theory is teaching honestly what happened in the US.
Not at all. It teaches that white people suck. And if you are a white person and don't feel that you suck, you're even worse--you're evil, along with sucking. It teaches that white people living today should feel "shame" (for God knows what) and be held responsible for **** that happened two hundred years ago. Long before they were born.

It essentially promotes bringing back whatever racism existed two hundred years ago, but with the skin colors reversed. Two hundred years ago there were those who thought black people sucked. Now we have those (typically wokes) who think white people suck. Tell me why that is any different or any better in the whole grand scheme of things? Same ol' same ol'.

I'll tell you who sucks. It's the morons that keep this racial tension going on and on--i.e. the CRT crowd, the white supremacists, the black supremacists, etc. Why don't you all just disappear?

Old 10-28-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The period between 1890 and 1910. Probably on the west coast.
How?

Old 10-28-2021, 01:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
50's is better than now, but still ****. I'm with DeanGuitarist. Would rather early colonial America, and to go hang out with the natives. I read a lot about the first colony, Roanoke. Although it failed(because of the Anglo-Spanish War), when the colonists came over, it would have been like stepping foot on Mars.
If you like early colonial america, turn off your ac and heater and electric lights and don't use your bathrooms.

Or your car or your fridge or your stove. Or grocery stores. Or antibiotics.

How's it now?

Old 10-28-2021, 01:43 PM

The time period I was born in (1980s), when I grew up (1990s-early 2000s), I wouldn't change it. It's the best time for me. Given what I had growing up, I can't think of any other time period before that which would have been better. What could I get out of earlier times that I wouldn't have gotten in the 1990s-early 2000s?

Old 10-28-2021, 01:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I've been around since the 40's and would definitely say the 50's. After WWII there was a pride and patriotism in this country. Yes, racism existed and I remember vividly the riots of the 60's but IMO today (since Obama and Michelle pushed racism every chance they had) racism added to the division in this country along with white privilege, cancel culture, CRT, dependency on the government, censorship and social media.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I've been around since the 40's and would definitely say the 50's. After WWII there was a pride and patriotism in this country. Yes, racism existed and I remember vividly the riots of the 60's but IMO today (since Obama and Michelle pushed racism every chance they had) racism added to the division in this country along with white privilege, cancel culture, CRT, dependency on the government, censorship and social media.
I've only been around since the 1980s. I think about the things that are normal to me. I can vote. It was easy for me. I just went to the library, filled out a registration form, and got my voter card in the mail two weeks later. My father bought a house where HE wanted to buy it. There weren't any "no Blacks allowed" laws when he bought a house in the 1990s. No Jim Crow in the 1990s. In the 1950s, I could have been killed just for being "too friendly" with a White woman. Growing up, having friends who happened to be White females was normal for me in the 1990s and 2000s. In 1950, that could have gotten me killed, especially in the South.

And the USA has always been divided. The Obama administration just revealed how divided we had always been. Actually, there have been race riots in literally every decade. Government dependency was going on long before the 21st century. And there was a level of censorship going on in the 1950s and 60s.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_c..._United_States

Old 10-28-2021, 02:28 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you like early colonial america, turn off your ac and heater and electric lights and don't use your bathrooms.

Or your car or your fridge or your stove. Or grocery stores. Or antibiotics.

How's it now?
I would be fine. But most of those things would be impossible while living in a modern society(especially a city).

One time I got mad at my roommates because they weren't working and were annoying me, so I cut off the main breaker to my house and locked the breaker box. For like three weeks we lived without electricity. Was probably the best time I've had in the last ten years.

We ended up doing a lot more stuff outside, played cards, and talked. In the end I was already getting in much better shape, and I had almost forgotten about politics because I didn't have access to the news.

I had running water though, and a small ice chest. Cooked a lot of food on my grill and on a little campfire in my backyard with a cast iron skillet.

PS: There is a big difference between going camping alone and going camping with your family/friends. Trying to live like that today is tantamount to going camping alone. If everyone lived like that, it would be like going permanent camping with all of family/friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies