Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 02:33 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you like early colonial america, turn off your ac and heater and electric lights and don't use your bathrooms.

Or your car or your fridge or your stove. Or grocery stores. Or antibiotics.

How's it now?
I wouldn't want to live in those days. I like having electricity. I like what I have now.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Critical race theory is teaching honestly what happened in the US. If teaching history never makes you uncomfortable about your country in some way, you're being fed propaganda. I'd much rather my children live now and learn CRT than live through the hardships of the 50s. Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Not at all. It teaches that white people suck. And if you are a white person and don't feel that you suck, you're even worse--you're evil, along with sucking. It teaches that white people living today should feel "shame" (for God knows what) and be held responsible for **** that happened two hundred years ago. Long before they were born.
It's not worth responding to Lekrii, this is a far left wing activist who has no moral objection to lying in persuit of "the revolution". CRT is one of many Critical theories coming out of academia which substitutes the failed angry working class to 'seize the means of production' (now deplorable for their sins) with any and all marginalized groups as the new vanguards to instead 'seize the cultural hegemony' in order to overthrow the free market / enlightened system and install an authoritarian system of elites.

You can call them communists but of course it was never really about communism, it was always about resentment of life and god and the urge to control everyone's lives in a totalitarian, authoritarian system where they force you to do what they say, OR ELSE. These people are exactly the same as Nazis except they don't mind working you to death over years instead of wasting a bullet or can of poison gas on you

Old 10-28-2021, 07:10 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Improved? Yes. Were those times better than today? No. We're still living in the safest, most tolerant time in history. I wouldn't choose to live in any time in the past.

You can't be serious. In my 60 years on this earth, I've never seen the level of intolerance we're now experiencing. It's actually become institutionalized, with Dems weaponizing the criminal justice system and corporations forcing employees to be lectured on the evils of being white. We live in dark times.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Probably some time in the future

Old 10-28-2021, 08:34 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
50's is better than now, but still ****. I'm with DeanGuitarist. Would rather early colonial America, and to go hang out with the natives. I read a lot about the first colony, Roanoke. Although it failed(because of the Anglo-Spanish War), when the colonists came over, it would have been like stepping foot on Mars.
Hang with the natives? I guess in your mind they were all holding hands and singing? You’d be lucky not to end up with an ax or arrowhead in your skull. If not that some disease would take you out.

As for me it might have been cool to have been born in the 40s so I would be long retired by now and give less of a crap that the world is going down hill.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:39 PM

293 posts, read 191,641 times
Quote:
It's hard to go back in time in the US without walking into more racism, discrimination, hate, or hardship. I'd stay where we are. We are living in the safest, most prosperous time in American history. As an example, in 1940, 30% of American households still didn't even have running water.

This.

Like some talk about the 60's and 70s being so great, but it really wasn't that great those years if you were not white or straight.

In the 60's, there was still prejudice against People of color, like African American people had to drink from a different drinking fountain and such.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:53 PM

270 posts, read 193,811 times
I have to agree, living in the 1950s and old enough to know what was going on, it was only great for white males and conformist traditional white women. Gays were oppressed, people of color were oppressed and in some states could not marry white people. Life was very conformist; people were excluded for not attending church, or having an affiliation.

I think this era is best for greatest equality.

Now putting that aside and going out into fantasy, being a Roman in the age of Augustus might have been exciting provided one had money.

In all cases, being wealthy and a member of the dominate class would be livable and interesting.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:05 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
So glad I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s when California was truly a California dreaming, riding my bike in my neighborhood, playing kickball in the streets, roller skating, hide in seek boys against the girls at dusk, riding bikes to the beach, orange groves, affordable, great weather, Reagan was governor, then brown but that time he did nothing but governed on Reagan’s policies, affordable cost of living, it was a perfect time to live in such a beautiful state.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:07 PM

293 posts, read 191,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzarkLady View Post
I have to agree, living in the 1950s and old enough to know what was going on, it was only great for white males and conformist traditional white women. Gays were oppressed, people of color were oppressed and in some states could not marry white people. Life was very conformist; people were excluded for not attending church, or having an affiliation.

I think this era is best for greatest equality.

Now putting that aside and going out into fantasy, being a Roman in the age of Augustus might have been exciting provided one had money.

In all cases, being wealthy and a member of the dominate class would be livable and interesting.

I have noticed among more younger people, like millennials are leaving churches and most of them are saying one of the reasons is because the church is being bigoted against LGBTQI+ people.

Which in the past, most people would have been afraid to leave churches,despite the church being bigoted.

But seems many people's grandparents or parents are afraid to leave the church, even though the churches teach bigotry.

At things like anime or comic con i have to make sure i am not wearing a cross,or someone might think i am gonna judge them.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:10 PM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I'm actually pretty happy having lived through the current era. The rate of scientific discovery, technological progress, and artistic and cultural development has been astounding, and we are the beneficiaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies