Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 05:08 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times

Advertisements

Personally the 50’s. was everything perfect “NO’ but IMHO it was better time in American history

* you never had to lock the front door and could leave the front windows open.
* There was no swearing on TV, people in general were more respectful
* A father, by himself, could support a family - and still have money left over to go on vacations
* Neighbors knew each other.
* If you wanted to talk with someone, you generally had to meet them in person. (Phone calls were OK, but not the same.)
* Chewing gum was a nickle.
* Hostess Cupcakes were 13cents.
* You could walk around the neighborhood at age 6 after dark, no cell phone, no neighborhood watch, no nothin' - and my parents didn't worry, and you always came home safe and sound.
* World War III didn't happen.
* Baseball was actually interesting.
* You could play in the middle of the street and drivers would patiently wait for you to get out of the way...
* Very few people were in a rush.
* As a child you were allowed to be a door-to-door salesman, selling crafts that You made and was never harassed by anyone. Always you made it home safely.
* you could ride your bicycle without a helmet
* You never had to deal with political correctness, the nanny state, or new math, or any of the other "experiments" from governments and activists who "only want to help."
* Phone numbers had only 7 digits, the first two being letters.
* Everyone kept up their front yards.
* In general you could afford home if you wanted to own a home.
* Movies - almost always double-features - with a cartoon short - were 35cents.
* men were men and women were women none of this perverted lifestyle we have now.

So people ask what happened “Society Threw God out of the Picture”

Old 10-28-2021, 05:14 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
I probably would like the 1950s in terms of how it was our prime, but I don’t like the cars of the 50s so I would choose the late 70s/early 80s.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:17 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
It's hard to go back in time in the US without walking into more racism, discrimination, hate, or hardship. I'd stay where we are. We are living in the safest, most prosperous time in American history. As an example, in 1940, 30% of American households still didn't even have running water.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:20 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times
Quote:

It's hard to go back in time in the US without walking into more racism, discrimination, hate, or hardship.
Really...what about today children being taught Critical Race Theory...doesn’t that fits the above description!

Old 10-28-2021, 05:22 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Up until covid I would have said right now, but the future under progressive rule looks distopian to me....I would say born in 1950. I used to think this interonnected tech was a good thing now I see the downsides of screens as well.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:24 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Really...what about today children being taught Critical Race Theory...doesn’t that fits the above description!
Critical race theory is teaching honestly what happened in the US. If teaching history never makes you uncomfortable about your country in some way, you're being fed propaganda. I'd much rather my children live now and learn CRT than live through the hardships of the 50s. Just my opinion.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:33 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
I would pick the time of my grandfather, although it wasn't all rosy, of early 20th century into the 80's. He got to see advancements in transportation where people moved from horses to automobiles and the first flight all the way to man going into outer space. Conveniences of electricity and indoor plumbing became the new norm during his lifetime. Communication advancements included television and all houses having their own telephone. Numerous medical advancements helped humanity live longer.

Of course, that time was also offset with two World Wars and the Great Depression.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:37 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
The beginning of the colonies. Where the land was unknown, you actually relied on yourself for survival. You didn't have to worry about government playing you in politics, your neighbors didn't act like they belong in a nanny state. I would stay away from Salem lol...

It seems things were much simpler back then. Don't lecture me on medication, because herbs were used as a reliable source.

I was always an explorer at heart.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:40 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
most of us have a mythological place in our minds about some other time or place..i have settled into this time and place

and make the best of it...the mind has a way to deal with pain and hard times..it forgets it.....

Old 10-28-2021, 06:01 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
The beginning of the colonies. Where the land was unknown, you actually relied on yourself for survival. You didn't have to worry about government playing you in politics, your neighbors didn't act like they belong in a nanny state. I would stay away from Salem lol...

It seems things were much simpler back then. Don't lecture me on medication, because herbs were used as a reliable source.

I was always an explorer at heart.

Modern times were great until our leaders decided to embrace cancel culture, equity, wokeness, and force vaccine mandates and take us down a path towards censorship and authoritarian style governance. Too many people in society want their hands held cradle to grave...it doesn't mesh with what I think makes for a strong species and society going forward, where now the science that is not approved by them can now be so called "fact-checked" out of existence. This big tech censorship state is/was the beginning of the end for modern cultures, they just don't realize it yet. They haven't learned from the mistakes of the past. Progressives think they are so intelligent....they are not as intelligent as they think. If some of them turn on each other and stand up for what's right (freedom of expression IE classical liberalism, not this new illiberal movement) maybe we can reverse course.

The olden days were not perfect...few people here think that. Modern times have so many positives going for them...all that is being put in jeopardy by what I like to dub the "illiberal progressive movement."

#anti authoritarian

#illiberal progressive movement

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illiberal_democracy

"He argues that democracy without constitutional liberalism is producing centralized regimes, the erosion of liberty, ethnic competition, conflict, and war. ". This guy said this in 1997... He was spot on. It's funny in the above wiki they thought Donald Trump was an example of an illiberal all the while it's obvious to this moderate it's the progressives. Another Wikipedia article that has a left bias. More projection by the left.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-28-2021 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies