Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 10:12 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
My friend was in the class lawsuit against the company that Haliburton bought and had asbestos liability for. When the case was settled he got a check for 38 cents! He chose to frame it rather than cash it.

Cheney also had stock options on more than 400,000 shares of Haliburton stock as of 2003. I don't know if he cashed them in, but in 2014 the company stock hit an all time high more than twice the value before or since. I don't know if he exercised those options or when, but they were worth millions when the company stock price rose.

https://money.cnn.com/2003/09/25/new...heney/?cnn=yes
I'd bet the rent money he had friends in high places who would see to it that he had the necessary funds to exercise those options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 10:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Again, I thank each of you that contributed in a positive way to help sort this out. I don't know that I feel better about what's ahead if we stay on this trajectory, but reading the well considered responses leads me to believe that after it gets worse, we still have level heads among us that will prevail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The day the media and some people started saying that intelligence is bad and people should be proud of their dumb ideas.
Like you, I have been concerned about how our compasses as a people seem to be pointing south in that regard. It's one of the reasons I am particularly concerned. We cannot progress in our character development unless we have positive role models to guide us along our paths, and if our role models are ignorant, vicious people our youth see those as their model to follow. Most of us that are older, raised to respect discipline, diligence in pursuit of knowledge, and concern for others know that vicious ignorance only destroys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
When we stopped making kids and teenagers have jobs and allowed them to be addicted to video games. Couple that with single parent families, in which the parent does not have or they do not care to devote time to the kids and you have a cultural disaster. I paid for my clothes, food, transportation, and incidentals from age 12. I had a paper route at age 9. Kids need some structure and responsibilities outside of school and the home to help them mature.

You mature and grow via enduring conflict, loss, despair, and deprivation. Experiencing such situations and having the strength to continue pursuing one's goals is what makes people adults who are responsible, dedicated, and have empathy for others. In short, getting your butt kicked many times when you are younger is very instructional and prepares one for future challenges.

Liberalism is essentially a reversion to childhood and vacating individual responsibility. When we have adults embracing such lunacy, they will certainly transfers those maladaptive traits to their children.

We need a good old fashioned economic depression to force a few generations to grow up and appreciate the benefits of work and faith. This may be one of the few positives attributes of Biden, who appears to be guiding the nation to rocks and economic catastrophe.
I agree with your first two paragraphs, but do not share your definition of liberalism, and I tend to think that our broadened gap between the haves and the have nots is contributing to the situation.

I don't recall that its been mentioned it in this post, but do think that our failing school system and the subsequent disenfranchisement of the poor has caused them to lose respect for the systems in place. Because poor neighborhoods do not get properly funded school budgets, and the rich have gutted the tax revenues to retain their wealth, there are fewer opportunities available for the poor to improve their situations. To further that, some states have pushed the poor, usually people of color, off the voting roles by reducing the number of polling place in poor communities.

Sharing in the nation's amassed wealth and restoring rights to everyone, not just those blessed with economic wealth is a better solution (IMO) than pushing everyone into penury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Keep in mind that with the mass expansion of the media and harsh competition for ratings that you're no longer dealing with professional news coverage but rather a free-for-all of sensationalism and showing the worst behaviors.

In many regards, you have to ask yourself how much has anything changed as opposed to how much the worst behaviors are being thrust upon you to observe?
Yes, I do know that, and am constantly warning others that to even click on a "news" source headline is a vote of approval. It's all click bait anymore. One wise person here recommended returning to printed newspapers. I think that is a good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
To add to what Mathguy has said, and I'm directing this to the OP, every time you turn on a cable news network, you support incivility. If you don't watch cable news, that's great!
Not just cable news, either. It's one reason I left facebook months ago: one day I realized that just being curious about what is being said and clicking was telling facebook I wanted to see more of that. I deleted my account, even though it meant that I reduced my ability to see what friends and family far from me are up to doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteblonde View Post
I did say that first we needed to overcome the relationship between major corporations and our government, thus making ourselves relevant as voters again. It's easier for politicians to finance their campaigns and win elections through corporate contributions than it is to appeal to millions of voters. So the system never really changes and our quality of life suffers for it adding to our antagonism towards what we see as "the other side" while the political elite treat their constituents with something akin to contempt. As long as we behave hateful towards each other this will become the status quo. It's unnecessary. But it does seem that many actually thrive on their hatred for anyone who opposes their views.

Currently we are in a crisis which may help us to build bridges towards betterment as we find more common ground in our relationships as human beings. In short, we need to be farsighted and see ourselves as the same again. We ARE all Americans. That's a large plus to have in common.
From what I've read of the responses here, I know that you and the other contributors have given this a lot of thought, and mostly I agree what has been said.

In my mid-60s, and having always been intellectually interested in interactions between people, groups, and organizations, it's been my conclusion that amassed wealth in this country has contributed to the digression of our society. Frankly, some people have personality that enables them to amass wealth that others do not. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't money that is the root of evil, but greed and ego. I am beginning to think that one cannot have a capitalist democracy, because there is too big of an opportunity to cut the poor out of their political rights.

What I DO know, is that suppressed people may acquiesce for a time -- even a long time, but once they start getting angry, all sense of safety and stability goes out the window.

We only have to look at the history of our nation, and others that followed us, particularly France, and then Russia. I personally fear that because of our inequality of access to opportunities here, and the rising public anger we see, we could very well reach a dangerous tipping point. Sadly, the leadership of both political parties are so confident in themselves (EGO) and getting their portions off the top (GREED), they could be thought of much like monarchies vying for supremacy, ignoring the plight of their constituents. Aren't most of us being taxed without representation?

Old 11-01-2021, 11:32 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
There is a line from a movie -- I think one of the Marigold Hotel movies -- where a story is related about a priest who retires after fifty years. He is asked if there was any lasting message or lesson that comes from hearing confessions for so long. His answer: "There are no adults."

I think that priest is on to something. Today it appears that the children and adolescents seem to be driving what few adults there are out of the public arena. When the final history of America is written it will have several themes. One of the most prominent will be the rise of anti-intellectualism and that the nation reveled in a form of intentional ignorance and unfounded conspiracy theories. The citizenry was too attracted to shiny things and attention-grabbing falsehoods where there was no substance. This is not too far off from primitive society superstitions. In fact, evolution is a thing, the world is not flat, wind turbines do not cause cancer, communists or fascists are not taking over the country, corporations are actually not persons, the 1950s were not the "good ol' days", and trickle down does not work. We will have to wait to see if the dumb-down adolescents triumph over reason and knowledge. It seems that way but the struggle goes on as it has all through our history.

Old 11-01-2021, 11:43 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There is a line from a movie -- I think one of the Marigold Hotel movies -- where a story is related about a priest who retires after fifty years. He is asked if there was any lasting message or lesson that comes from hearing confessions for so long. His answer: "There are no adults."

I think that priest is on to something. Today it appears that the children and adolescents seem to be driving what few adults there are out of the public arena. When the final history of America is written it will have several themes. One of the most prominent will be the rise of anti-intellectualism and that the nation reveled in a form of intentional ignorance and unfounded conspiracy theories. The citizenry was too attracted to shiny things and attention-grabbing falsehoods where there was no substance. This is not too far off from primitive society superstitions. In fact, evolution is a thing, the world is not flat, wind turbines do not cause cancer, communists or fascists are not taking over the country, corporations are actually not persons, the 1950s were not the "good ol' days", and trickle down does not work. We will have to wait to see if the dumb-down adolescents triumph over reason and knowledge. It seems that way but the struggle goes on as it has all through our history.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

What crone said.

Thank you.

PS: I was so taken with this post that I had to peek at your profile. You photo album is exquisite.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:01 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,149 times
The media has a ton of blame in this scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies