Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 03:10 PM

930 posts, read 334,032 times

Advertisements

NFL star player Henry Ruggs is likely headed to min. 2 years time after he killed a woman in a DUI accident. He struck her in his Corvette at 156 MPH (in a 45 MPH zone). Her gas tank ruptured; she and her pet dog were probably burned alive. His BAC was twice the legal limit.

I recall when several Seattle Seahawks players wrecked in an SUV in Kirkland, WA, taking out a power pole, causing a blackout, and leaving one of the players in a wheelchair for life. It was DUI. A Seahawks head coach was arrested for DUI with a .23 BAC. Seahawks superstar Marshawn Lynch was also popped for DUI. fortunately w/ no injuries.

There was a recent case of ex-Seahawks star Richard Sherman, a Stanford U grad, with a reputation for thoughtfulness and devotion to charity work. He drank two bottles of booze, threatened suicide, and went on an escapade that ended with him crashing his Mercedes in a construction zone. He was 33 with, as far as I know, no priors. I don't know how to explain that other than probable CTE.

This is not an exhaustive list. If you just google 'Seahawks DUI' you'll find plenty of others.

If you compare the NBA or MLB, it seems like there is nowhere near the level of DUI arrests. I don't know what difference there is except that the NFL players are subjected to repeated head trauma.

If the NFL is a burgeoning DUI factory, what should be done about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 03:20 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
No, it is something called "personal responsibility", lack of.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No, it is something called "personal responsibility", lack of.
The brain is a funny thing. When it becomes damaged, impulse control, i.e. 'personal responsibility' can take twists and turns. How do you explain the disparity between NFL DUIs and NBA DUIs?

Old 11-04-2021, 03:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
The brain is a funny thing. When it becomes damaged, impulse control, i.e. 'personal responsibility' can take twists and turns. How do you explain the disparity between NFL DUIs and NBA DUIs?
There are over three times the number of NFL players than NBA players, so, you have actual per capita or actual numbers to back your claim?

Plus, how is the rate compared to the general population?

Old 11-04-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
There are over three times the number of NFL players than NBA players, so, you have actual per capita or actual numbers to back your claim?

Plus, how is the rate compared to the general population?
No, I don't have those numbers, and those may be fair points. I searched around some before posting the thread, but could not find useful numbers.

This site cites 232 NFL DUI incidents from 2000-2021:
NFL Arrest | Crime Details

Old 11-04-2021, 04:41 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
No, I don't have those numbers, and those may be fair points. I searched around some before posting the thread, but could not find useful numbers.

This site cites 232 NFL DUI incidents from 2000-2021:
NFL Arrest | Crime Details
There are roughly 1700 NFL players x 21 years in your example which gets about 0.65% or about 1 in 150.

I found on-line that about 2.27% of drivers have had a DUI, but that would cover people as old at 70 or 80 so not exactly a perfect comparison.

If someone wants to google what % of men in their 20's have a DUI, knock yourself out but the rate for NFL players doesn't seem out of line with the overall population nor my own personal experience as I know several people that have had a DUI either thru work or friends etc.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are roughly 1700 NFL players x 21 years in your example which gets about 0.65% or about 1 in 150.....
Many NFL players have multi-year careers, so you would have to adjust for that. If there are 1700 players, and you multiply by 21, it would seem to assume that there is a brand new group of 1700 each year, which of course is not true.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:55 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Many NFL players have multi-year careers, so you would have to adjust for that. If there are 1700 players, and you multiply by 21, it would seem to assume that there is a brand new group of 1700 each year, which of course is not true.
The exposure each year is 1700 guys. (Actually 1698 but with guys cycling in and out of the league with call-ups it may be more like 1800+ but I digress)

If the list just named guys that got DUI's then the appropriate basis would be unique player years. Even then the NFL churn is pretty quick at like 2-3 years and most of the roster if they got a DUI would be cut anyway. Thus the difference between unique incidents and just listing players that got DUI's is going to be very very very small.

Happy to discuss further, I do this kinda stuff for a living...for decades.

If you really want to poke a hole in the numbers then the obvious leak point would be how many NFL players get off from a DUI where Joe Six Pack would get arrested, considering it's mostly going to happen in their hometown.

The old, "park your car and call an Uber and we won't arrest you".

Old 11-04-2021, 07:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Ruggs doesn't have CTE at his age. I don't know what's going on with Richard Sherman, but something is.

Ruggs has driven at very high speeds before, apparently when he hadn't been drinking. Too much money + immaturity can lead to less than optimum outcomes. This was a case of that, not CTE.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:20 AM

6,127 posts, read 3,351,401 times
Here we go again, blaming the game of football for the behavior of degenerates.

This dude has been entitled basically his whole life. He was a star playing in grade school, high school, and college. He was treated differently because of his athletic skill, and I’m sure in his mind, driving drunk and going 156 mph were rules that didn’t apply to him because he is special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies