Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 12:27 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
If you want to be happy do the following:

1. Get off social media
2. Turn off the television
3. Pursue your interests
You don't necessarily need to turn the TV off, you can also turn the TV dial back a couple of decades and watch some classic TV programming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 12:28 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
"Therapy" and psychotropic medication are just two more products of the modern day dystopia...
I just skimmed your post and it sounds like you should start with talk therapy. Oh, and modern medicine is not dystopian. I really think you sound depressed. It is a sickness. If you had cancer, you'd presumably treat it with chemotherapy or whatever your doctor prescribed. Depression can be treated too. Good luck and take care of yourself.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:31 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
"Therapy" and psychotropic medication are just two more products of the modern day dystopia...
Sounds like you are some sort of "victim" to this cold cruel world. Or at least of your cell phone.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:35 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
I'm sure many out there can relate to the OP.
There are so many things going downhill it's hard to pinpoint two or three. People have been assaulted psychologically and emotionally because of Covid. They've been lied to and controlled.
Corporations are running the world, small businesses are being killed purposefully, crime is rampant and perps are not prosecuted.
The beautiful city I grew up in is no longer safe to visit.
The list goes on and on.

Yeah, it's pretty sad.

It's bound to affect those who paid attention. Just have to get in touch with the part of yourself that can rise above, because this world is temporary for everyone. Exercise, meditation, yoga, hobbies, being in nature all help.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:41 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DibDobDub View Post
Last year felt way more dystopian. Lockdowns and civil unrest. A president that wanted to 'dominate the streets', and it felt like collapse was imminent.

This year I'm going to bars again, and even vegas in a couple of weeks. Granted we're dealing with the aftermath of last year. Gonna take some time to heal.

Especially for those of us that lost someone to covid.
Other than my Dad's illness, last year was pretty good. We bought a house larger home on two acres in a rural type area, moving away from the city. I lost over 30 lbs, got to work from home full time. It was all good. There was plenty of entertainment on the tv, watching twits having melt down after melt down over a POTUS they didn't like. Not even sure what you mean about dominating the streets though...

Old 11-01-2021, 12:51 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:

Everything is broken. How much longer can we pretend everything is fine?

I agree with you. Since March of 2020, I have had the perpetual "waiting for the other shoe to drop" dread. I think that maybe people that got the vaccines are not really worried about anything else. They just go about their business, seemingly unaware, of the rights slowly but surely being taken away from Americans. It's still the "it's just a" syndrome. Add to that the millions of illegals flowing into our country, that we will eventually all be supporting, the rising costs of everyday things, the inability to move around the world at will and it's a pressure cooker. I'm waiting for it to blow.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:12 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times
Quote:
Whenever I go out, I can’t help but feel the heavy, almost crushing weight of despondency in the air. It feels like the entire world is moving towards an increasingly grim and joyless dystopian future of atomized units with no meaningful relationships, no meaningful social connections or interactions, where fear rules and no one trusts anyone or anything. 8 billion people in the world, and yet the average person is more isolated than ever. All the "connectivity" with the internet, social media, etc, effectively means nothing.

It seems that with every year that goes by, the level of societal paranoia, distrust, and hysteria intensifies, whilst the level of societal cohesion and solidarity continues to plummet. Money is the one and only thing left holding us together...

There has not been a Great War for several decades, yet the psychological profile of the masses is that of one who have just emerged from a Great War- trauma, stress, anxiety, depression, despair, feelings of great loss, etc. At least in the aftermath of the two Great Wars, there was a sense that it could all be rebuilt. What can be rebuilt in the present day techno-industrial dystopia? There has been no Great War, but the devastation is very much akin to a wartorn landscape.

"Progress" is a lie, a myth. We live in times of unprecedented material abundance, with technology that may as well be magic. What has been the result of all this "progress?" Man is less content than ever. Social relations are more thin and threadbare than ever. Not only is the massive amount of technology not preventing the descent into a grim and joyless dystopia, it's accelerating it. One thing I've noticed in the youngest generation is that they don't even have friends anymore. Not close friends.

Everything is broken. How much longer can we pretend everything is fine?

Our lives have become unspeakably empty and purposeless, as reflected by the record high drug deaths every year. The pandemic has really only accelerated this movement into an increasingly grim and joyless future.

The world will only become more grim, more joyless, more dystopian, more nihilistic, more distrustful, more masturbatory, more virtual reality escapist, more divided, more isolated, more atomized, more inauthentic, more unaffordable, more controlled, regulated and hypermanaged, and more censurious- until everything finally collapses. Despite the jubilations of the “utopian-progressives” ie Steven Pinker and his ilk, it seems that people today are as depressed, anxious, and fearful as they’ve ever been.
I think this may be a regional phenomenon. I don't notice the same hopelessness in my community, and I'm sorry you're experiencing it.

Last edited by kj1065; 11-01-2021 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-01-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DibDobDub View Post
"You have to dominate, if you don't dominate you're wasting your time," Trump said, according to a recording of the call obtained by ABC News. "They're gonna run over you, you're gonna look like a bunch of jerks. You have to dominate."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=70994362
Lol...okay. Other than the asshats on Jan. 6th, there were almost 5 years of the other side rioting and acting like children. Not to mention, some of the Democratic politicians call for violence...you seemed to have forgotten that.

Either way. Life is good if you want it to be. If not, enjoy your dystopia.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:15 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
We went out with friends on Sat afternoon and watch Michigan State beat UofM and the whole restaurant was cheering, clapping, high-fiving each other, smiling/laughing. Didn't feel at all heavy or grim, even with the new colder weather. It certainly didn't feel joyless.

Sounds like you need to find better friends/places to go when you leave the house. <shrug>

Old 11-01-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
We went out with friends on Sat afternoon and watch Michigan State beat UofM and the whole restaurant was cheering, clapping, high-fiving each other, smiling/laughing. Didn't feel at all heavy or grim, even with the new colder weather. It certainly didn't feel joyless.

Sounds like you need to find better friends/places to go when you leave the house. <shrug>
Hopefully you weren't one of the morons jumping up and down on the flipped over Jeep. Lol, what the hell was up with that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies