Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 03:09 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So does this work both ways? Should non-white teachers be shut out from working in school districts where pretty much all of the students are white?

I doubt teaching in the Richmond or Norfolk city schools are very desirable jobs. Anyone who's willing to do it should be thanked, not told by their governor that they shouldn't be there because of their race.
Exactly.

I don't think McAuliffe thought that ignorant statement all the way through before he said it.

He's admitting to in-group preference.

Last edited by RogueMom; 11-04-2021 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 03:54 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In some ways I disagree but in a PRACTICAL way I agree. Moderate Democrat here.

I taught for one year in a black school and as a white person I was not as effective as a black teacher would have been. I just "didn't get it" and I knew it. They have a different culture of their own that was unknown to me. One book that I read to the little kids did get an excellent response--it was about some kids wanting their dad to give up smoking.

Smoking is not usually a white person's issue anymore. Where I live I haven't seen anyone smoking in years. But for these black kids it was a scary problem because they hated their dads' smoking and they were afraid their dads were going to die.

When I tried to teach about maple syrup making, a New England tradition, these kids--in New England--did NOT know what maple syrup was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought in a small bottle for them to try but they were afraid to try any.

Different foods, different problems, different vocabularies--I never knew there were so many differences. So, for now, I can see where black teachers would do a better job. But hopefully all of us in America can become more alike in time instead of being sorted into "tribes."
Do you support reducing academic standards for teachers in the name of diversity?

Do you support the inverse of not hiring non-whites at white schools for cultural reasons?

Old 11-04-2021, 04:03 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
He's admitting to in-group preference.
Liberals always admit to ingroup preference. It is only moron conservatives who deny it. Not because they don't believe it, but because they think it helps them politically.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:10 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
99% of teacher are already liberal, regardless of race, but that's just not good enough for liberals. They need that 100%.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:22 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In some ways I disagree but in a PRACTICAL way I agree. Moderate Democrat here.

I taught for one year in a black school and as a white person I was not as effective as a black teacher would have been. I just "didn't get it" and I knew it. They have a different culture of their own that was unknown to me. One book that I read to the little kids did get an excellent response--it was about some kids wanting their dad to give up smoking.

Smoking is not usually a white person's issue anymore. Where I live I haven't seen anyone smoking in years. But for these black kids it was a scary problem because they hated their dads' smoking and they were afraid their dads were going to die.

When I tried to teach about maple syrup making, a New England tradition, these kids--in New England--did NOT know what maple syrup was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought in a small bottle for them to try but they were afraid to try any.

Different foods, different problems, different vocabularies--I never knew there were so many differences. So, for now, I can see where black teachers would do a better job. But hopefully all of us in America can become more alike in time instead of being sorted into "tribes."
In New England, Black people come from various cultures. Lots of people of Caribbean descent - Jamaicans, Haitians etc.

You might have less of an issue getting African-Americans to try maple syrup and feel more connection, as you likely have more in common with them.

Despite what American culture tends to teach, Black people don’t all come from the same culture, evidenced by the diversity in Africa alone but also the Caribbean and Latin America.

Whites still smoke cigarettes more than black people.
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...king/index.htm

Old 11-04-2021, 07:39 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I believe it is self-evident that children would rather teachers who look like them. Why wouldn't they?
I don't know what you're into, but starting in the sixth grade or so I would have much preferred a good-looking young woman over someone who looks like me.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:41 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Maybe the governor should not be white either.
Finally, the LG is not white. And not male.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:46 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Do you support reducing academic standards for teachers in the name of diversity?
Liberals initially ignore this question or they respond to it by saying “Of course not!”

Then they proceed to dumb down hiring standards in the name of diversity, when nobody is paying attention.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I don't know what you're into, but starting in the sixth grade or so I would have much preferred a good-looking young woman over someone who looks like me.
If so, you're a weirdo.

t. Science

https://www.wired.com/2010/07/incest-taboo/

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ev5y...e-attracted-to

https://www.scarymommy.com/attracted...-like-parents/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a6897006.html

https://medium.com/hello-love/why-we...s-dd76931fc7e0

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-our-parents/

Well, a feminized version of you anyway.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Finally, the LG is not white. And not male.
I can't wait until everyone is not white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies