Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 05:02 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

I remember a particular poster (I'm sure others here do as well) that was an obvious hack troll. Don't know if he was paid or not but he was certainly a wannabe $h!t disturber. He loved to post on the gun rights topic and was blatantly (almost to much so) ignorant of everything to do with the subject .A few other posters and myself had a lot of fun with him in the end posting fantastical firearms concepts straight out of Star Wars or The Terminator which he went along with in a most amusing way.

He popped up again very briefly with his original username from before slightly modified but still quite recognizable. Same favorite subject same know nothing persona. He disappeared again. We had some more fun with him before he lit the afterburners (or was banned maybe...again). But the appearance of these Dec join dates accompanied by obvious troll stir the pot posts on hotbed topics has been a bit extreme of late.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:01 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I mostly read posts by regular politics forum participants or long-time CD posters.

posters with a hidden profile, short posting history, pattern of ad hominem attacks on other posters or uninteresting/dumb comments are on my ignore list. my ignore list makes it easier to weed out shills.
I have noted clusters of new posters often with very similar user names showing up at about the same time and that makes me suspicious.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:06 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
This section has a min of 20 Trump troll bots could be more like 50

You can pick them out easily they are the ones screaming Biden does anything it is so bad it makes Trump the 2nd coming of Jesus 2 times over
Do you care to name names?

Old 12-22-2021, 06:16 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is actually incorrect. Just like how Obama can be blamed for the market during Trump's Presidency, Trump can be blamed for much of the market during Biden's Presidency. It takes years for policy to impact the economy. Hyperinflation is largely due to the massive big spending and government growth during Trump's Presidency. Biden has done little to turn it around.

Leaving Afghanistan was largely done under Trump. The Taliban started building up as soon as Trump started removing forces and promised to leave. That's why they were ready to take over immediately once we left.

Trump left the handling of Covid up to the states... as did Biden. Stop blaming Trump and Biden for Covid deaths. The governors mishandled it.
Oh my gosh, Afghanistan Biden screwed up majorly, he ignored every advice and plan, that fiasco was totally on Biden. The states didn’t want a blunder that Biden caused. Even If Trump had a poor plan in place, Biden as president could have redone it, Afghanistan was all on Biden.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:19 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I have noted clusters of new posters often with very similar user names showing up at about the same time and that makes me suspicious.
I had to change my name when I got a new iPad, for some reason it wouldn’t let me on, shows I’ve been a member since 2020, but I been on cd a lot longer. I did onlystart participating on this board during the election.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:20 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I remember a particular poster (I'm sure others here do as well) that was an obvious hack troll. Don't know if he was paid or not but he was certainly a wannabe $h!t disturber. He loved to post on the gun rights topic and was blatantly (almost to much so) ignorant of everything to do with the subject .A few other posters and myself had a lot of fun with him in the end posting fantastical firearms concepts straight out of Star Wars or The Terminator which he went along with in a most amusing way.

He popped up again very briefly with his original username from before slightly modified but still quite recognizable. Same favorite subject same know nothing persona. He disappeared again. We had some more fun with him before he lit the afterburners (or was banned maybe...again). But the appearance of these Dec join dates accompanied by obvious troll stir the pot posts on hotbed topics has been a bit extreme of late.
I don't remember the poster's name, but I do remember that when some of you would lead him on with questions about what he had posted, he'd get deeper into trouble, and when you'd told him he was full of bs, he would double down and make things worse by lying even more.

I'm not a gun owner, and know nothing about them, but I found those threads highly entertaining.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:24 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Folks, maybe we don't need to distrust any new posters. Heck, I am one, joined in September. Why? Because I retired this year and now have time to post things and help others resolve their problems, if I can. I've used C-D for years to research various RE locations, but I did not even realize it had all these non-RE forums. Until recently.

Check out my posts, and you will see the answers (and questions of my own) to all sorts of unrelated things. I'm sure a real person.
Don't take it personally. The more new people post, the more credibility they have. Just keep posting.

Once you're around long enough, you'll see what we're talking about. It's typically only been during election years that there's an onslaught of new posters who just keep starting one thread after another about 'their guy' and why he/she is the best candidate. We're talking about those people.

But it's been interesting because this past fall we saw the same large number of new people, and it just doesn't make sense since the election is over.

Keep posting.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:03 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Reddit has this up vote down vote thing. When the comments start out with “literally” and then immediately has 100 upvotes you can bet it’s a bot. And always, always left wing.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:12 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Despite the high 'number's' of posters I feel actual content has dropped since 2019 where 2012-2015 was the peak of online content with a slow drop off till now it's all recycled content sometimes flavored but still if you take the layers off and spent as much time as I have you will find the variables are NOT random. Same with fanfiction,forums,blogs,media,gaming,etc.

We are actually in isolated corners where they let us think we are interacting but actually we are seeing robots give us what they want us to see based on a hidden social credit score and our past browsing,etc. I have noticed when I log off of YT I get far better results for example searching for history of inventions I get a lot of choices where if I'm logged in I get what I've previously seen mixed with weird random garbage not related.
Not that many bots on an interactive forum like this. But plenty of trolls, and I'd bet dollars to donuts some of these originate outside the USA. Our enemies are very aware of all the active political discussions on the Internet and they are not stupid, they understand well that it is an opportunity to drive the wedges that will one day destroy us from within. Even though this is a backwater forum in comparison to Twitter or Reddit, it gets a fair share of views. With that being said, there are a few dozen frequent posters in the P&OC echo-chamber here that make up 90% of the posts. It's not hundreds or thousands.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:24 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
No doubt the internet is full of bots, but I don't think it's a problem here. If you see a suspicious post, you can report it by clicking on the little red triangle in the upper right hand corner of the post box. The Moderators are pretty good about it.

(In fact, too good. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies