Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2021, 02:58 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times

Advertisements

"We have the literal worst health system in the world."

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Old 11-02-2021, 02:58 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Lifespan is a poor metric of quality of medical care because it has heavy cultural influences, USA has lots of obese people and far more accidental deaths than most other developed countries.

Look at five year outcomes for the major diseases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._of_healthcare

USA is in the top 20 of every category, and in the top five in half of them including #1 in breast cancer. Yes USA system has many flaws, but the actual outcomes for care are excellent. To add to this in two months the Surprise Billing Act takes effect which will alleviate one of the main sources of financial hardship related go insurance covered medical services, and the prescription drug bill looks promising for controlling costs.

Old 11-02-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
How much longer are we gonna allow Uber rich insurance and pharmaceutical CEOs to drain the little bit of life we still have in us?
CEO compensation has nothing to do with prices of insurance or pharmaceuticals.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Every developed country on earth except us has figured out how ...
That didn't take long for that old, tired, irrelevant canard to surface as if it belonged in the discussion.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:20 PM

21,871 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For each of the horror stories there are many other that you never hear of, such as a cancer survivor (me) that spent almost a year in chemo, a total of 8 surgeries, many appointments with Oncologist, Urologist, and Nephrologist, hospitalized 5-8 days 5 times with infections, and had two transfusions - all of this cost me $1,800 in 2019, $2,000 in 2020, my maximum out of pocket, thanks to a good medical plan through my employer. My share of the premiums was $80/paycheck in 2019, $84 in 2020 (now $90). I have no complaints with the health system.
Most people are isolated from that the premius for the average group health plan for a single employee are around $7,500 and the average family plan around $20,000 though. The cost can be a barrier. If you're not getting it through an employer or through a welfare program or subsidies, it's expensive.Other issue is deductibles. I save a couple grand a year for crappy insurance but that does mean a $6,500 deductible. Not chump change but I'm not going to have to worry about whether to pay a $6,500 medical bill or pay rent. If you look at ObamaCare with 86% of people getting welfare though a $6,500 bill is a lot of money to where people won't go to the doctor regularly even though they have insurance because the insurance won't pay anything anyway.

Basically, good medical care that some people can't afford is what we have here.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:26 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Most people are isolated from that the premius for the average group health plan for a single employee are around $7,500 and the average family plan around $20,000 though. The cost can be a barrier. If you're not getting it through an employer or through a welfare program or subsidies, it's expensive.Other issue is deductibles. I save a couple grand a year for crappy insurance but that does mean a $6,500 deductible. Not chump change but I'm not going to have to worry about whether to pay a $6,500 medical bill or pay rent. If you look at ObamaCare with 86% of people getting welfare though a $6,500 bill is a lot of money to where people won't go to the doctor regularly even though they have insurance because the insurance won't pay anything anyway.

Basically, good medical care that some people can't afford is what we have here.
Here's some irony for you.

Before Obamacare I had a retirement plan..it was a "high deductible" PPO plan..$90/month with a $5K deductible.

Obamacare killed it because it didn't offer maternity or pediatric care (this is a retirement plan).

So I got Obamacare ....$900/month HMO with a $6K deductible.
I had a year to plan so got my taxable income as low as possible and got a huge subsidy.

My health insurance plan got worse, not better. Thankfully I'm healthy and that is why I had the high deductible plan to begin with.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:43 PM

21,871 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Here's some irony for you.

Before Obamacare I had a retirement plan..it was a "high deductible" PPO plan..$90/month with a $5K deductible.

Obamacare killed it because it didn't offer maternity or pediatric care (this is a retirement plan).

So I got Obamacare ....$900/month HMO with a $6K deductible.
I had a year to plan so got my taxable income as low as possible and got a huge subsidy.

My health insurance plan got worse, not better. Thankfully I'm healthy and that is why I had the high deductible plan to begin with.
Ouch.

Mine went from $105 to around $350, same deductible. Really not thrilled about what it will look like in later years though. When I get older though, yeah, it worries me. I might be wanting to slow down by then in which case I could keep contributing 20k or so to a 401k to lower MAGI while staying under the 400% FPL to be elegible for welfare. Or maybe by then they'll have figured out a better sollution. Probably not, but who knows.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:46 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Healthcare for profit is great? Profit off a child having cancer. F’n sick.

Canadian style healthcare is what we need.
Buses leave daily for Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:48 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
TRANSLATION: I didn't have to pay what I owed. Which means somebody else who DID have to pay the full amount he owed, also had to pay a large part of mine.

The OP considers this a "better" form of Health Care.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:49 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Taking the story at face value, the spin with some of these posts justifying someone getting billed $700 for sitting in an ER and receiving no service is unbelievable.

I have no doubt if the people justifying the ridiculous billing practices in health care received a bill for that, they would be the same people raising a ruckus and wanting to speak to the manager in no polite way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies