Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 09:52 AM

445 posts, read 219,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
It wasn't rare when most parents were working from home. They got to see the curriculum first hand. This wasn't political. This issue developed organically when parents became outraged seeing/hearing what their kids are being taught.
Or NOT being taught. That was absolutely the case, as parents could see what was going on as they could hear the Zoom in the other room.

It's not just about CRT, but to many parents a disconnect with teaching kids what might be important or to their interest levels instead of an over-emphasis on math, test scores, and "compliance", rather than an emphasis on what kids might actually be passionate about doing. Not to mention the complete gutting of physical education. Mask mandates might be another thing as well.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:54 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
McAukliffe's deplorables moment cost him everything - we now have a roadmap to breaking the woke cult. Even throughout the night corporate media shills at NBC, CBS, ABC were laughably trying to convince viewers that Critical Race Theory isn't real when 72% of Virginia voters said it was a very important factor.

So this is pretty straight forward, EVERY CANDIDATE FOR OFFICE must now be asked:

"Do Parents have a Right to Determine What their Kids are Taught in School?"

Get them on the record. The woke communist ideologues will blow their top at answering the question. Of course the worst of the worst will lie through their teeth but at least this will weed out the majority of the subversives
Of course they do. Academia has forced this issue to the forefront by bringing their liberal/progressive propaganda into the classroom. Teachers need to keep their politics to themselves. I think most teachers do so, but as has become the norm these days, it's the loudmouth extremists who try to force their beliefs on others.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammythebull View Post
Or NOT being taught. That was absolutely the case, as parents could see what was going on as they could hear the Zoom in the other room.

It's not just about CRT, but to many parents a disconnect with teaching kids what might be important or to their interest levels instead of an over-emphasis on math, test scores, and "compliance", rather than an emphasis on what kids might actually be passionate about doing. Not to mention the complete gutting of physical education. Mask mandates might be another thing as well.
I've been in the USA for 24 years -- gutting of physical education --in what school district.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Sure it is … it’s right there on the Virginia Education Department website.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but facts are facts.

I’ve even posted this before ….

Virginia education department boosts critical race theory — despite claim by Terry McAuliffe - NYPost
Virginia’s education department promotes critical race theory — despite claims by Democratic gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe’s the ideology has “never been taught” in the state.

The Virginia Department of Education’s website features a presentation urging teachers to “embrace critical race theory,”

It very helpful that a reporter tracked this down and posted screenshots from the State of Virginia.
So few real Journalists left these days.
Your link isns't about CRT in curriculm -- it is about the rising interest in CRT and it lists documents to read about how CRT can influence education. That's not promoting it.

In order to talk to parents, staff, etc. about CRT -- teachers need to udnerstand what CRT is about.

Most people objecting to it -- have no clue what CRT is and why it has risen to popularity today.

Have you been in a classroom in the last 10 years?

Old 11-03-2021, 10:03 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
All parents do have that right. No one stops you from homeschooling your children, or from putting them in a private school that teaches what you want. If you don't like the curriculum, take responsibility for your children and do something.

No one is stopping you from leaving your employer and seeking another if you don't think they're paying you enough either.

The difference is that my taxes go to fund the public schools and they're not going to stop making me pay taxes if I homeschool my kids or when my kids grow up and graduate.

The school and the teachers are effectively my employees that are tasked with teaching my children....that's why I pay them.

If you aren't performing that job to my satisfaction, I should not have to continue to pay you after I fire you.

So it comes down to who has ownership of my kids.

Me....or "society"?

If you think it's society.....we have a problem.

If it's me, then don't try to keep making me pay taxes when I pull my kid out of public schools because I don't like how and what you want to teach them.

That would be like your former employer trying to keep collecting payroll taxes from you after you leave your job.
/get fired.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Back in the "old days", parents didn't NEED to see the curriculum. The only really big issue was whether or not evolution should be taught, LOL.

But your question does bring up another one -- how detailed are the curriculum being sent home now? When my kids were in school about (the last one graduated from high school in 2011), the only details we received were about sex ed -- and that was in junior high.

Do parents actually receive much detail about what is being taught in history classes, for example?
WHAT? Parents should always have looked at the curriculum.

My kids started school in 1990 at a pre-school...and I always made it my place to get to know the teachers, the administration, the curriculum,the focus. It wasn't that hard.

Unless you have been in classroom and seen a change -- all of you are just repeating what you are being fed.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:12 AM

445 posts, read 219,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I've been in the USA for 24 years -- gutting of physical education --in what school district.
Many school districts have gutted physical education programs, which used to be allocated to an hour per day, to now either once a week, or once every three days. Math is allocated at least an hour every day.

You must not have kids in public school.

https://pha.berkeley.edu/2019/12/01/...cal-education/

Old 11-03-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I understand, and the funniest part is if you ask most of those parents what CRT really is, they can't tell you, nor can they tell you what they're actually upset about. This was an amazing marketing campaign by right wing media.

If it's not something to be concerned about, then why do they want parents to sign a NDA to see the curriculum?

Old 11-03-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Only about CRT. Because someone told them it is in their schools. And it isn't. It just isn't.

There could be one or two teachers who presented concepts or projects that were sketchy but that happen. Parents can express their objection to how that content does or doesn't fit the curriculm.

All those furious parents at those board meetings -- I suspect one or two of them have actually read the curriculm.

Just because a school doesn't officially call what they're teaching CRT, doesn't mean they're not actually teaching CRT or at least components of it through revisionist history presented from a far left perspective.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:18 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,072 times
don't some schools still teach "creationism and the 6,000 year old earth?"...that was a result of parrents getting riled up and involved i believe, and curiously enough it seems alway the right who gets hostile to learning about the real world

as opposed to the mythological world many were brought up in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies