Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 07:49 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
All parents do have that right. No one stops you from homeschooling your children, or from putting them in a private school that teaches what you want. If you don't like the curriculum, take responsibility for your children and do something.
Last time I checked all parents paid taxes to support the schools which gives them the right to have a say in what is taught at the said school. If they don’t, the taxation becomes unconstitutional.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:54 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
All parents do have that right. No one stops you from homeschooling your children, or from putting them in a private school that teaches what you want. If you don't like the curriculum, take responsibility for your children and do something.
Then stop forcibly charging for a product the parents aren't interested in buying.

For as long as taxpayers pay for schools, it's on the schools and their employees to please their customers. And yes, the taxpayers are CUSTOMERS. And for as long as the customers don't get a refund, the customer is always right. Period.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
I understand, and the funniest part is if you ask most of those parents what CRT really is, they can't tell you, nor can they tell you what they're actually upset about. This was an amazing marketing campaign by right wing media.
Really? This woman seems to have a good handle on what it is and she doesn't like it.

https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/st...27231621373959

Old 11-03-2021, 08:01 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Exactly. Good luck getting every parent to agree on what their kids should or should not be learning. What happens when the person who agreed with you about the boogie man called CRT also thinks that Creationism needs to be given as much weight as Astronomy, Geology, and the Theory of Evolution? What about the parents who want the shadow government, NWO, and Q to be covered in your kids’ civics classes. What happens when textbooks are printed that say Joe Biden was elected president in 2020 and those who believe otherwise beg to differ?

You ever notice how few black or Hispanic parents had their views on “CRT” featured in the news. To this day, I haven’t seen anyone give an accurate description of what CRT is and how it’s being implemented in the public school curriculum, with real world examples. Fact is, as a teacher who specialized in teaching in urban classrooms, I had to study the essays of some of the first proponents of CRT like Gloria Ladson Billings. CRT is an approach - one of many - for teaching in multiracial classrooms to ensure that all students have an equal voice and that different perspectives are addressed. That could mean something as simple as having a unit on the Harlem Renaissance in an English or American history class, or it could mean something completely different depending on the teacher and whether or not they subscribe to CRT, and to what extent, or which CRT scholars they favor.

Read about CRT in education for yourself instead of taking other peoples’ word for it. CRT has been around since the 90’s, but it’s only recently been repackaged as a culture war issue and sold to fearful white parents who will never actually do the research and see what Critical Race Theory actually is.

If you REALLY want to learn about CRT in education, why not go straight to the source:

Handbook of Critical Race Theory in Education. Edited by Marvin Lynn and Adrienne Dixson.
https://books.google.ca/books?hl=en&...SntP_HrthFzBKU

My guess is that most posters here are too old to have kids in primary or high school. I’m also willing to bet that none of you have ever read any scholarship in CRT or even a handbook like the one I just posted a link to. If that’s the case, everything you think you know about CRT has come through some news organization, podcast, or talk radio with an agenda. You’ve most certainly never heard about CRT from those who created it and debated how it could be applied to racially diverse classrooms. Because it is a debate. Specifically, a debate about how to best serve students who have been poorly served by the public school system in America for as long as it’s existed.

What I’d really like to know from those who oppose CRT is how you think it is negatively affecting American school children and why you think that. What part of Critical Race Theory bothers you? Specifically, which author(s)? With the handbook I provided, you can get a pretty good overview in 90 pages of the different schools of thought within CRT.

So let’s hear it. Who has one original, well-informed opinion about CRT in the classroom?

This is the danger of parents having “control” over what their children learn in the classroom. Their ignorance can be weaponized for political purposes just like it has been with CRT. I’m not an engineer and I don’t purport to tell engineers how they should build bridges. However, suddenly American parents - almost entirely white - know about theories of education and their application in the classroom, and know more about teaching than teachers. Just like they always have….

From Wikipedia:

In American schools, the Genesis creation narrative was generally taught as the origin of the universe and of life until Darwin's scientific theories became widely accepted. While there was some immediate backlash, organized opposition did not get underway until the Fundamentalist–Modernist Controversy broke out following World War I; several states passed laws banning the teaching of evolution while others debated them but did not pass them. The Scopes Trial was the result of a challenge to the law in Tennessee. Scopes lost his case, and further states passed laws banning the teaching of evolution.

In 1968, the US Supreme Court ruled on Epperson v. Arkansas, another challenge to these laws, and the court ruled that allowing the teaching of creation, while disallowing the teaching of evolution, advanced a religion, and therefore violated the Establishment Clause of the constitution. Creationists then starting lobbying to have laws passed that required teachers to Teach the Controversy, but this was also struck down by the Supreme Court in 1987 in Edwards v. Aguillard. Creationists then moved to frame the issue as one of intelligent design but this too was ruled against in a District Court in Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District in 2005.

The issue has remained contentious, with various US states debating, passing, or voting down alternative approaches to creationism in science classrooms. There is no bar in US law to creationism being taught in civics, current affairs, philosophy, or comparative religion classes.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:25 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Well, a whole lot of people disagree with you. I guess they are just racists, right?
No, they are the kind of naive citizens who are easily gaslighted by sophisticated political players and the news media that serves them to believe that their children are being harmed by an academic theory they know nothing about.

Children + Race + School = Fear. It’s a winning formula that has always worked in stirring up white parents and galvanizing them politically. Anyone who thinks Critical Race Theory might harm their children are useful idiots who know nothing about actual Critical Race Theory.

I don’t personally agree with all Critical Race Theorists, but I believe it can be a useful way to approach diverse classrooms to ensure that all voices are heard and everyone’s interests are respected and their educational needs are met. Because an upper-middle-class white female student may have very different interests and needs compared to a lower-middle-class black male student, and so on. Critical Race Theory is a way to make sure that students of color don’t get lost in an education system that has never served their interests particularly well, has often been hostile to them and dismissive of their voices, and is geared primarily to pump out students who are university-ready despite the fact that most students will not go on to complete a four-year university degree or even have the means to do so if they wanted.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
No, they are the kind of naive citizens who are easily gaslighted by sophisticated political players and the news media that serves them to believe that their children are being harmed by an academic theory they know nothing about.

Children + Race + School = Fear. It’s a winning formula that has always worked in stirring up white parents and galvanizing them politically. Anyone who thinks Critical Race Theory might harm their children are useful idiots who know nothing about actual Critical Race Theory.

I don’t personally agree with all Critical Race Theorists, but I believe it can be a useful way to approach diverse classrooms to ensure that all voices are heard and everyone’s interests are respected and their educational needs are met. Because an upper-middle-class white female student may have very different interests and needs compared to a lower-middle-class black male student, and so on. Critical Race Theory is a way to make sure that students of color don’t get lost in an education system that has never served their interests particularly well, has often been hostile to them and dismissive of their voices, and is geared primarily to pump out students who are university-ready despite the fact that most students will not go on to complete a four-year university degree or even have the means to do so if they wanted.
It doesn't matter what you call it. Black parents and white parents don't want it.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:40 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Also have a say about the curriculum used by a public school, paid with community tax dollars and board members that were voted in.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:42 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Also have a say about the curriculum used by a public school, paid with community tax dollars and board members that were voted in.
That is why you vote for the school board.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:07 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That is why you vote for the school board.
Yes and call them out if they aren’t doing what you voted them in for.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:15 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Don't send your children to government schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies