Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 12:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times

Advertisements

Try sending emails to have a representative outside your state hear your voice and many to do accept anyone outside their state.

How can they get on TV and say they are doing what Americans want???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 12:44 PM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Congressmen (i.e. those in the House of Representatives) don't represent all Americans, they represent the people who live in their districts. And Senators represent people who live in their states. I don't really see any problem with this.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:49 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
I am fine with this. I think it is ridiculous when people orchestrate letter and phone campaigns to sway reps that are not their own. I also know that a lot of Congressional mail and messages are simply tossed aside because they are too obviously repetitive form mail.

I think this trend recently backfired on Dems when they decided to have a bunch of displeased coastal voters swamp Manchings office and he responded by telling Sanders he would pull the Biden policy package down to zero dollars if he kept pestering him.

The only thing that will get your reps attention is bad polling or tight/losing efforts at the ballot box.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:58 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Congressmen (i.e. those in the House of Representatives) don't represent all Americans, they represent the people who live in their districts. And Senators represent people who live in their states. I don't really see any problem with this.
Bingo.

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:11 PM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Yep, even though my opinion of members of congress is quite low, I think it’s okay for them to not accept email from outside of their districts because it gives them the ability to more easily focus on the needs of the constituents they actually represent.

(Even though, as an aside, my representatives tend to care more about pandering to illegal immigrants and being “woke†than they care about doing things that benefit everyday constituents, but I guess people in my state/district are okay with that.)

Old 11-03-2021, 01:14 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
They will, however, solicit (beg & grovel) and take money

Old 11-03-2021, 01:18 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Try sending emails to have a representative outside your state hear your voice and many to do accept anyone outside their state.

How can they get on TV and say they are doing what Americans want???
you're claiming they have a filter in their email server that somehow knows WHERE you're emailing from?

And this email server thus would also block emails from a constituent on vacation? Or a donor from another state?

Old 11-03-2021, 01:19 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I agree.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:20 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Why are you sending an email to someone who does not represent you?

Why should someone who does not represent you care what you have to say?

Why the people they do represent, care about what an outsider says?

Old 11-03-2021, 01:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
As an American, if they are voting on legislation that affects the entire US, whether it be immigration, defense, national security, giving benefits to illegals, etc. they shouldn't get on TV and say they are doing what the American public wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies