Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 08:18 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times

Advertisements

Anybody who can have a family of 9 kids surely did the math. Did they calculate the cost as the kids grew larger and had different more expensive needs their expenses would go up.

AFA the milk goes, buy dry milk and mix a half gallon with a half gallon of whole milk. It will stretch the milk budget. I did it when DH the budget guru said we were spending too much on milk. If the kids don't see it done, they never taste the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 08:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If it were a voter in the city with 11 kids by 5 different dads, a GoFundMe would've been created already.
Post of the day. So true! This is the sick society we live in today.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
[quote=Ferd;62255315]I shop at Kroger as my primary grocery store. I live in the DFW area. price for a gallon of milk was $1.99 it is now 2.49

those numbers are spot on. I see that weekly.[/QUOTE

Mariano’s is an upscale Kroger subsidiary in my area. Milk is $2.49/ gallon, this week.

I have more than 20 sources for groceries within 5 miles. This includes CVS and Walgreens which often have better prices on milk and interestingly, bacon, if one does not mind Oscar Mayer. CVS produces 6’ of coupons with every purchase which always includes $1 off anything coupon. Easy enough to snag a gallon of milk for $1 +/-, some weeks. Takes but a minute to run in/ out.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:32 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Mariano’s is an upscale Kroger subsidiary in my area. Milk is $2.49/ gallon, this week.

I have more than 20 sources for groceries within 5 miles. This includes CVS and Walgreens which often have better prices on milk and interestingly, bacon, if one does not mind Oscar Mayer. CVS produces 6’ of coupons with every purchase which always includes $1 off anything coupon. Easy enough to snag a gallon of milk for $1 +/-, some weeks. Takes but a minute to run in/ out.

whats the point here? that this family shouldnt complain about milk, rather they should drive around town and buy each item at the store where that item is the loss leader?

Its there fault?

Are we back to telling the rape victim her skirt was too short?

Old 11-05-2021, 08:34 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Yeah, well I live in Texas and we did indeed have shelter-in-place in play. And one would have to be blind not to have read comments all over message boards (and not just here but neighborhood forums also) from self proclaimed Republicans calling people deadbeats (If I felt like it, I'd look up the history on some of the posters in this thread alone).

It's why I laugh at the hypocrisy of these Republican posters suddenly having such a heavy heart for others. I don't buy the hogwash for a second. This is simply their own self interests in play (just like it is for the self proclaimed Democrats).
Per IRS data and other sources Republicans /conservatives as a group are much more giving than democrats/liberals. That's been the case for many years.

There's a bunch of interesting data at the bottom of this that you are not going to like.

https://www.philanthropyroundtable.o....s.-generosity

It's funny that if I want to decide how to spend/invest more of my money I'm selfish. However, you trying to decide for me though more government control somehow isn't selfish on your part.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:38 AM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
it's been my experience the last several years that people that identify as liberal or progresssive can be some of the most closed minded mean spirited ignorant fools.

They talk about diversity this, inclusion that, the minute you stray away from the program, the knives come out.

The far left can not handle diversity of thought, no sir.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Space Lasers View Post
Wow! ALL the employees quit?? But I'm sure the franchisee that owned the place immediately whined and cried that "NO ONE WANTS TO WORK*!!"

* for ridiculous slave-labor wages and no benefits
It was indeed very strange and obviously planned by employees.

Minimum wage for tipped workers in Tennessee is $2.13/ hr.

We encountered all sorts of issues related to worker shortages on this road trip, in early June, mostly through Ky and Tn. We spent a few nights at a Marriott that informed us rooms would not be “ freshened” during our stay as there was a shortage of housekeepers.

Then there was the Waffle House, a must do on any road trip. It had one employee who cooked and waited tables.

Our room faced the Waffle House and from our balcony, we observed him running a side business, given the number of cars that pulled in and engaged with the sole cook/ driver, through the car window. Imagine that gig was the reason why he remained employed at this particular Waffle House.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:49 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Exactly. Employees are getting fed up with making puny wages and working long hours while they watch their bosses/owners get big tax cuts and make more profits...
And increasingly, "their bosses/owners who get big tax custs and make more profits" are Democrats.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/07/o...-the-rich.html

https://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2016/6...-wealthy-party

The Democrats left the Blue-collar workers behind long ago. Dems sold them out to the Fortune 500, so they now work for minimum wage in retail.

Watch the old Trump rallies on utube, and you'll see Bleu collar workers are now Republicans.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
whats the point here? that this family shouldnt complain about milk, rather they should drive around town and buy each item at the store where that item is the loss leader?

Its there fault?

Are we back to telling the rape victim her skirt was too short?
I have no idea how competitive or not the grocery situation is in the greater Fort Worth area.

I do know the ball park of tax - free Stimulus money they have received between April 2020-2021 and how much they receive in pre- paid, monthly tax- free Child Tax credits they receive.

No clue , if, like most people, dad and/ or mom remained employed during the worst of the pandemic.

As it relates to milk, what specifically has caused the price to increase? Did dairy farmers sell off their cows to reduce production? The Federal Government has long subsidized dairy farms. There was a stimulus payment ear marked for dairy farms. There is no question, dairy farms have long been dependent on undocumented migrant workers.

We know Big Grocers, essential businesses, had a record profit year in 2020 and projected more of the same in 2021.

There is a percentage of the so- called supply chain challenges that is contrived for the sole purpose of profit.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Wow! ALL the employees quit?? But I'm sure the franchisee that owned the place immediately whined and cried that "NO ONE WANTS TO WORK*!!"

* for ridiculous slave-labor wages and no benefits
TGIF is a privately- held franchised operation with about 869 global restaurants of which 319 are in the US. It is owned by Tri- Artisan, a private equity capital firm.

Many TGIF restaurants received PPP payments, last year.

Franchise owners, not the mother ship, determine employee wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies