Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 11:11 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times

Advertisements

Broke back mountain with helmets instead of cowboy hats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 11:16 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Ask God of the Bible.
I tried calling but his mailbox was full.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:53 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Different kind of movies.

There's Rambo action movies but there's also movies that war is the backdrop but it's not really about Rambo action scenes but the characters. Then there's movies that are both which is really most WW2 movies. The more Rambo-oriented stuff tend to not really take any historical context all that seriously. It might be loosely based on Vietnam, Afghanistan, Burma, or Mexico (cartels) as contemporary conflicts from which Rambo can go be Rambo but they're not historical dramas.
You mean this is not a documentary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXsoEA6UG-w

Old 11-06-2021, 11:56 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,337,164 times
I feel like Hollywood is desperate, since most of what has been created lately has been absolute crap. I don’t have a problem with a story that involves two men and depicts something that probably happened back then but wasn’t talked about, but I feel like EVERYTHING coming out of Hollywood incorporates some kind of ridiculous theme lately. Like, can’t we just get some movies that aren’t meant to be political statements? Movies like Home Alone, that are innocent and fun for the most part?

It’s kind of why I rarely watch TV anymore and instead watch individual creators on YouTube (which, I know YouTube owned by Google and I disagree with the censorship on that platform, but I’m not going to make my life miserable to spite Google).

Old 11-06-2021, 11:59 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I feel like Hollywood is desperate, since most of what has been created lately has been absolute crap. I don’t have a problem with a story that involves two men and depicts something that probably happened back then but wasn’t talked about, but I feel like EVERYTHING coming out of Hollywood incorporates some kind of ridiculous theme lately. Like, can’t we just get some movies that aren’t meant to be political statements? Movies like Home Alone, that are innocent and fun for the most part?

It’s kind of why I rarely watch TV anymore and instead watch individual creators on YouTube (which, I know YouTube owned by Google and I disagree with the censorship on that platform, but I’m not going to make my life miserable to spite Google).
Being that the majority of the actors in Hollywood get their parts from a kneeling position in the producers office, no wonder they assume the rest of the world wants to share in their degeneracy.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:00 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Lots of people are a sucker for a good and well-made ‘forbidden love’ story. This is getting bankrolled in part because of Brokeback Mountain cost $14 million to make and did close to $180 million in gate receipts.
But Brokeback Mountain was an extremely bold movie to make, and a huge gamble as bold to release.

Not so now, when homosexuality isn't such a dangerous subject.

If the characters in Brokeback Mountain hadn't been two cowboys, the most hyper-masculine characters Hollywood ever produced, and hadn't been written by Larry McMurtry, who wrote Lonesome Dove, I doubt the movie would have ever gotten the green light.

One reason why it was made probably came from the success of earlier movies like La Cage Aux Folles. Movies audiences had already shown they were willing to spend money on a movie featuring gay characters for quite a while.

Every once in a while, Hollywood realizes there's a growing trend happening. If they seize the right moment and release a shockingly bold movie that has gone farther than any other in that trend, the flick can be a blockbuster if the story is good and well told. The actors have to be sympathetic and relatable, and the subject has to have had some ground plowed before to see if it will be accepted.

Jaws, Psycho, Who's Coming To Dinner?, and All Quiet On The Western Front are all examples of this.

Once the self-imposed limits are broken by these rare blockbusters, there's always a rush to imitate. But once a theme loses its controversy, the story has to have be better than its ancestors to become another blockbuster.

World War I is one of those subjects that's rising in popularity these days.
1917 was a big hit mostly because it was as high as Fast and Furious in it's endless action.
War Horse was a hit because people love good stories about horses.

The other movies with a WWI theme haven't done as well, but they all made money. I guess we will have to wait and see the movie before we will know if the gay theme is what drives it or whether war action will be the driver.
I suspect that if its a hit, it will be the action that does it. And I doubt any gay love sequences in it will be graphic.
Moviegoers aren't ready yet to go that far, and nowadays, few heterosexual love scenes are as graphic as they were in the past.

This is a desperate time for Hollywood. The studios have to deliver products that can fill theaters right now, so I'm sure the new movie won't be controversial.

But I think that a modern re-make of A Farewell To Arms, a conventional love story set in WWI, would be a much better bet of being a blockbuster.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:41 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I suspect that if its a hit, it will be the action that does it. And I doubt any gay love sequences in it will be graphic.
Moviegoers aren't ready yet to go that far, and nowadays, few heterosexual love scenes are as graphic as they were in the past.
Gotta keep the rating to an R and preferably in PG-13 range to maximize potential ticket sales and all.

And go down a list of what are considered to be the most romantic films of all time and they’re very often light on anything more than a kiss and heavy on longing glances across a crowded room.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:53 PM

270 posts, read 193,512 times
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There have always been gay people in the US military. Why do evangelicals want to erase them and their service to country?
Simple folks

https://youtu.be/ZZvT2r828QY

Old 11-06-2021, 05:01 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
There is a reason this is being made. And it's not to make money; because they know it won't.

If you are following along closely enough, you will understand why they are targeting this particular war, that particular era, and the "greatest generation".

Old 11-06-2021, 05:18 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just smacks of wokeness.
You think there weren't gay men fighting in World War I? Bwah hahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I think its l likely to be a bomb. Not enough target audience but its not like its never happened. Most likely will be a movie made to simply win some awards just because of the subject matter.
The concept worked just fine for Brokeback Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is how Hollywood changes public opinion on topics, they depict it in a positive light. The same thing was done with interracial couples.
Why shouldn't gay couples or interracial couples be depicted in a positive light? Do you want them to be presented in a negative light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Ask God of the Bible.
Remind me again what Jesus had to say about loving your neighbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I feel like EVERYTHING coming out of Hollywood incorporates some kind of ridiculous theme lately. Like, can’t we just get some movies that aren’t meant to be political statements?
A romance between two men isn't any more political than a romance between a man and a woman - unless you insist on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies