Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 09:51 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People in Texas don't like the toll roads, and are trying to get bills passed in the Texas State House to turn them into "free" roads

I know in TX when I lived there there is what is called the outer loop Beltway 8. There was suppose to be a temporary toll to pay for the cost of creating Beltway 8. They never repealed it. They should be free now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 10:00 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I think its simpler to keep gas taxes where they are and tax electric vehicles based on how much juice they put in their EV's.
Doesn't solve the problem of road improvement and maintenance.

10 years ago, I was driving a beater 1999 Honda Civic. ~26 combined mpg.
5 years ago, inherited a 2005 Hyundai Accent. ~30 combined mpg.
Same annual miles driven. Guess which one paid less in fuel tax?

Our son inherited our 1995 Toyota Camry, ~30 combined mpg.
He bought a new Mazda SkyActv 2015, ~46 combined mpg. (amazing ICE and transmission technology)
Same annual miles driven. Guess which one consumes less gas and pays less fuel tax?
Washington State charges by market value for tag renewal.

How is the government going to monitor electricity usage for vehicle charging, at home?

Last edited by leastprime; 11-06-2021 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-06-2021, 10:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I know in TX when I lived there there is what is called the outer loop Beltway 8. There was suppose to be a temporary toll to pay for the cost of creating Beltway 8. They never repealed it. They should be free now.
That's the Sam Houston Tollway, which I mentioned in another post

Old 11-06-2021, 10:14 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well it made it into the final bill. Gonna have to say....I TOLD YA SO
Biden and his "it won't cost taxpayers one cent" bills.
And the volunteering won't be solely up to you...insurance companies, smartphone makers and automakers can volunteer YOUR information.

It's Section 13002 in the passed bill.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil...070C638C52A2ED

A pilot program to study per mile user fees.
Will be voluntary for this pilot program.
This will be used to keep the National Highway Fund from going belly up.

The objectives of the pilot program are—

(A)to test the design, acceptance, implementation, and financial sustainability of a national motor vehicle per-mile user fee;
(B)to address the need for additional revenue for surface transportation infrastructure and a national motor vehicle per-mile user fee; and
(C)to provide recommendations relating to the adoption and implementation of a national motor vehicle per-mile user fee.

How will they do it:

(1)Tools
In selecting the methods described in subsection (c)(1), the Secretary shall coordinate with entities that voluntarily provide to the Secretary for use under the pilot program any of the following vehicle-miles-traveled collection tools:

(A)Third-party on-board diagnostic (OBD-II) devices.
(B)Smart phone applications.
(C)Telemetric data collected by automakers.
(D)Motor vehicle data obtained by car insurance companies.
(E)Data from the States that received a grant under section 6020 of the FAST Act (23 U.S.C. 503 note; Public Law 114–94) (as in effect on the day before the date of enactment of this Act).
(F)Motor vehicle data obtained from fueling stations.
(G)Any other method that the Secretary considers appropriate.

(e)Motor vehicle per-mile user fees
For the purposes of the pilot program, the Secretary of the Treasury shall establish, on an annual basis, per-mile user fees for passenger motor vehicles, light trucks, and medium- and heavy-duty trucks, which amount may vary between vehicle types and weight classes to reflect estimated impacts on infrastructure, safety, congestion, the environment, or other related social impacts.
Per mile user fees? Yeah, I'm doing that every day. In TEXAS. And the per-mile amount more than likely dwarfs anything national that might or might not be.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:38 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Doesn't solve the problem of road improvement and maintenance.

10 years ago, I was driving a beater 1999 Honda Civic. ~26 combined mpg.
5 years ago, inherited a 2005 Hyundai Accent. ~30 combined mpg.
Same annual miles driven. Guess which one paid less in fuel tax?

Our son inherited our 1995 Toyota Camry, ~30 combined mpg.
He bought a new Mazda SkyActv 2015, ~46 combined mpg. (amazing ICE and transmission technology)
Same annual miles driven. Guess which one consumes less gas and pays less fuel tax?
Washington State charges by market value for tag renewal.

How is the government going to monitor electricity usage for vehicle charging, at home?
Miles driven every two years = tax fee on electric.
Gas tax won't change for gas drivers. And There will still be a lot of gas cars on the road in the foreseeable future.
Everybody pays something

Edit: I wonder what Tejas is going to do after they absorb all those toll roads. Like how will they fund maintenance? Higher sales tax, gas, property, etc. Texans love b******* about taxes as it is. Texas politics are gonna be interesting to follow in the next few years.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 11-06-2021 at 11:47 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 04:41 AM

6,984 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Remember the transportation industry CAFE wars of the 70's-80s'
That F150 that used to get 8 mpg in the mid 70's now get close to 25 mpg. That's a 300% reduction of fuel taxes for the average F150 user, if fuel taxes held even. The reduction of gasoline use means that there is less road tax which must be made up from somewhere. That is why Oregon started to investigate how to achieve revenue with the same amount of miles driven.

This not difficult mathematics. Any fifth grader can recognize the problem.
It is made up in volume. There are millions more cars on the road now than in the 70s.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:52 AM

1,601 posts, read 867,225 times
Quote:
To the people who are against this, how do you expect road repairs to happen with dropping revenue? Do you expect the DOT workers to work for free?

How about instead of tax incentives for buying electric cars, there's an extra fee at annual registration time to cover their non-payment of gasoline taxes? States can collect (as they already have the mechanism to do so) and then remit to the national highway fund.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:55 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Not anymore they don't, that's the issue
But still billions of gals are a sold a day in this country. I only drive around 3000 miles a year so i don't think it will be a big hairy deal for me unless it is 25 cents a mile.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:57 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Like, we can't afford to fix the bridge this year so let's wait. Meanwhile it collapses taking people and cars with it. Great idea.
They would rather spend the money on some no win war or bail out some dumb country. We could have redone our roads and bridges with the money blown on the two failed wars Bush 2 gave us.

So it is simple, stop no win wars and don't give money to other countries.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:01 AM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They would rather spend the money on some no win war or bail out some dumb country. We could have redone our roads and bridges with the money blown on the two failed wars Bush 2 gave us.

So it is simple, stop no win wars and don't give money to other countries.
Good Lord..we've been at war since LBJ and Vietnam.

MIC is how we keep the economy going....build weapons and military vehicles and invade countries.
Only we've run out of weak countries to invade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies