Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 12:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Boy seems like all these went up from $7.25/hr pretty quick and they aren’t saying that $19/hr is gonna make it so their business will not function.

Almost enough to make one think low crappy wages were not because of some invisible hand market bull****, but because employers had the power to suppress wages and the employees had no other choice….
Most of the Dick's are i Seattle, where the minimum wage has been more than $11 since 2014, $15 since 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 12:30 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most of the Dick's are i Seattle, where the minimum wage has been more than $11 since 2014, $15 since 2017.
…and they didn’t shutter their doors. What a shock. Businesses can afford to pay workers more without a problem.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I followed through on it.

I lived it.

I started my first job in 1979 at $2.90/hr.

That got me a higher starting wage at my next job, and the one after that.

I eventually moved out of a high tax blue state to a low tax, booming red state.

I earned every raise I ever got by increasing my skills and experience and making myself worth more to my employer.

If an employer didn't pay me what I knew my skill set could bring at another employer, I quit and went to that other employer.

I had roommates when necessary, I lived on Ramen and PB&J when I had to.

Eventually I got married and my wife and I put our earning power together to buy our first house.

If the cost of living is too high in Portland, get the Hell out of Portland. TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR OWN FUTURE AND STOP EXPECTING EMPLOYERS TO PAY YOU MORE THAN YOU'RE WORTH.

Or better yet, quit voting in Liberal leaders in your city and state that inevitably raise the cost of living with endless promises and entitlements and then cripple the economy with high taxes and regulations.
If jobs are being set at $20 an hour to get people to show up, that's the worth of that job in that market. Ie people getting paid what they're worth for that position in that market.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:41 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
what are you talking about? this is exactly how markets work. high supply and demand constant equals lower price. High demand and low supply equals higher prices. Free markets are a wonderful to see in action.
The point is businesses are able to absorb the cost. Prices might be up a little but definitely not the apocalypse businesses would have us believe.

Markets are a tool used by people with more power to extract from those with less power. Especially when dealing with necessities like food shelter and healthcare.

Right now what you are seeing is not a market. You are seeing a balancing of power. People have the power and freedom to decline work. Now employers have to do better. That’s why wages rise.

Laura Ingraham illustrated this perfectly. Take away people’s power and you can force them to work for less and struggle.

https://thegrio.com/2021/08/14/laura...ment-benefits/

Last edited by odinloki1; 11-10-2021 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-10-2021, 01:07 PM

853 posts, read 336,587 times
The other thing to keep in mind is that if you have to pay $20 an hour to hire staff then it is likely that your competition does as well so you are not at a competitive disadvantage.

One of the differences between manufacturing and service jobs is that manufacturers can be undercut by low cost labor abroad. You can't ship a fast food job to China.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:35 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Your logic lacks logic.

You imply because of technology these fast food places are seeing increased number of orders -- what do you base that on?

And whether or not you get 100 orders through a computer or have a 100 people liined up -- what's the difference.

You still fill each order as it comes in.

Massive fail in logic.

While pre-pandemic, there were many apps for food orders, the adoption rate is much greater now. For much of the pandemic, many restaurants would only take orders via app or online ordering form and now many people have just gotten used to doing things that way. It changes expectations dramatically, but kitchen space and how the line is set up can't always change as quickly or efficiently.

This played out at my local Chipotle. At the height of the pandemic, all orders had to be placed via app to minimize indoor time. The workflow change wasn't a problem because there was still one mode of ordering. As a result, the whole modality of ordering changed. While pre-pandemic, 5% of their sales might have been via the app, now I'd guess that 50% of their sales come in that way while also dealing with Door Dash orders and in-person orders. It doesn't sound like it should be a problem, but it impacts the workflow and space to make orders in a way that can be very detrimental. At various points, my local franchise has tried shutting down all online orders or trying to force everyone to order via app. Neither worked well given changing consumer demands, so now it just takes longer no matter how you order. I've had to stand for 10 minutes in line while online orders that came in before me are filled which causes frustration from customers watching these remote orders be filled in front of them.

A few local Chipotles have been able to build a remote order station to fill remote orders entirely off the main ordering line, but not all stores have space for that kind of set up.

In another example, my local Taco Bell regularly stops taking drive-thru orders at 8 or 9 when they're open until midnight because they're overwhelmed by Door Dash/Grub Hub/ etc. orders. The volume of delivery orders stays higher late night than drive-thru orders, so they have to prioritize. It's a big stress to staff.

This isn't just impacting fast food, but also small family restaurants, too. A local restaurant regularly shares in our town restaurant FB Group (a place for foodies to talk about local food and restaurants to promote their specials) that the addition of take-out orders in their small kitchen has been devastating, even as overall revenue is up. They weren't set up before the pandemic to offer more than a few takeout orders a night, and now they have a full dining room *and* the equivalent amount of takeout orders coming almost entirely via app. While they are happy to accommodate dietary restrictions, they say they get a lot more requests via app than in person (which makes sense to me - I do the same thing!) and that adds to the challenge of accommodating this new modality.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
The point is businesses are able to absorb the cost. Prices might be up a little but definitely not the apocalypse businesses would have us believe.

Markets are a tool used by people with more power to extract from those with less power. Especially when dealing with necessities like food shelter and healthcare.

Right now what you are seeing is not a market. You are seeing a balancing of power. People have the power and freedom to decline work. Now employers have to do better. That’s why wages rise.

Laura Ingraham illustrated this perfectly. Take away people’s power and you can force them to work for less and struggle.

https://thegrio.com/2021/08/14/laura...ment-benefits/
cool story, we are seeing a free market determine the price of labor.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:48 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,852,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Your logic lacks logic.

You imply because of technology these fast food places are seeing increased number of orders -- what do you base that on?

And whether or not you get 100 orders through a computer or have a 100 people liined up -- what's the difference.

You still fill each order as it comes in.

Massive fail in logic.

My post went completely over your head.

I realize reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit, but it was pretty obvious what I was saying.

I'll concede that it is very possible you have never worked in the food service industry. If you haven't, you'll never understand what I posted. If you have, the fail is on your end.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:34 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I know. And give people unemployment forever. I have a friend. Able bodied. Has not worked since March 2020. Lots of jobs out here. But he won't work until they cut him off. And why give people this extra tax credit for their kids and then let them sit at home. Fine give them that credit if they are working at least 32 hours a week.

But I get it. The government. Never will happen.
How is he eligible for unemployment? They have a time limit on it.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:43 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Found out a little something today.

I was in a restaurant waiting for an order, and overheard (it couldn't be helped since they were near me and loud) a trio of young ladies discussing how to continue to get paid.

Seems that they only have to stay at a job long enough to get 1 paycheck. Apparently, they are not asked how long they worked there, they just have to get to the first paycheck, and then they get to go back home and sit there.

I'm not sure how that works, I've never known unenjoyment payments to work like that, but they knew how to work it, and were gloating about it.

This might explain at least part of the reason I continue to see a high turnover everywhere. I've said multiple times that it's every 2 weeks, on average. Well, 2 weeks is all one needs to get that one paycheck.

I did not hear all of the details, so I can't answer how it works, completely, but I did hear enough to know that people are somehow gaming the system.

Thanks, government.

Thankyousomuch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies