Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 08:09 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,571 times

Advertisements

The Left tells us that "white males" vote Republican because they miss the days of being able to oppress women, people of color and LGBTQ people.

I'm curious: who are these "white males"--i.e., who are the specific voters and specific politicians who "miss the days of being able to oppress" others?

Thinking logically:

1. Key civil rights legislation was passed in the mid-1960s. So the "days of being able to oppress" others ended in the mid-1960s. Thus any "white male" born after the mid-1960s, which would mean anyone who is 55 and younger, wasn't alive in "the days of being able to oppress" others and thus cannot miss something that he never knew.

2. It would take being old enough to have a memory of the "days of being able to oppress" others to miss it. Anyone who was born [edited: after] around 1960 would have no memory of that.

3. Thus the only "white males" who have a memory of the "days of being able to oppress" others would be ones who are 60 years old and older, and even the younger ones in that cohort likely would have no experience of oppressing others.

Thus (A) the "white males" who would have memories of being able to oppress others is very small--elderly "white males", (B) many elderly "white males" supported the civil rights movement, thus meaning that an even smaller segment of elderly "white males" would have liked oppression, and (C) I am not aware of any individual ones who have been identified as "miss[ing] the days of being able to oppress" others.

Since it would be only a subset of elderly "white males" who had experience in a society in which oppression was legal, and since I don't know of any individual elderly "white males" who have been identified as ones who miss oppression, can someone point me to data that supports the Left's claim that "white males" vote Republican because they miss the days of oppression? I'm not seeing it.

I'm a registered Libertarian, so it won't work to say that I'm a racist Republican.

Thanks.

Last edited by GSPNative; 11-07-2021 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 08:16 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Once you understand how democracy works you'll understand the game the democrats are playing.

Hint: They don't believe anything they're saying. They're just trying to win.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:42 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
lol - I'm 75 and as it turns out, I've always been a guy and I've always been white. To the best of my knowledge I have never been in a position to oppress anyone, nor have I felt the need to oppress anyone. I voted for Trump but I am registered as an independent and voted for George McGovern way back when.

I have several older brothers who are of the same mind.

YMMV

Old 11-07-2021, 09:01 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
The Left tells us that "white males" vote Republican because they miss the days of being able to oppress women, people of color and LGBTQ people.

I'm curious: who are these "white males"--i.e., who are the specific voters and specific politicians who "miss the days of being able to oppress" others?

Thinking logically:

1. Key civil rights legislation was passed in the mid-1960s. So the "days of being able to oppress" others ended in the mid-1960s. Thus any "white male" born after the mid-1960s, which would mean anyone who is 55 and younger, wasn't alive in "the days of being able to oppress" others and thus cannot miss something that he never knew.

2. It would take being old enough to have a memory of the "days of being able to oppress" others to miss it. Anyone who was born [edited: after] around 1960 would have no memory of that.

3. Thus the only "white males" who have a memory of the "days of being able to oppress" others would be ones who are 60 years old and older, and even the younger ones in that cohort likely would have no experience of oppressing others.

Thus (A) the "white males" who would have memories of being able to oppress others is very small--elderly "white males", (B) many elderly "white males" supported the civil rights movement, thus meaning that an even smaller segment of elderly "white males" would have liked oppression, and (C) I am not aware of any individual ones who have been identified as "miss[ing] the days of being able to oppress" others.

Since it would be only a subset of elderly "white males" who had experience in a society in which oppression was legal, and since I don't know of any individual elderly "white males" who have been identified as ones who miss oppression, can someone point me to data that supports the Left's claim that "white males" vote Republican because they miss the days of oppression? I'm not seeing it.

I'm a registered Libertarian, so it won't work to say that I'm a racist Republican.

Thanks.
The first thing you have to do is prove that the "left" is saying this. Presumably, since you said the "left," you mean the majority of the people on the left. Since you requested data, I would also like to see some data that backs up your claims.

However, assuming you are correct, I would say that people on the left should not be trying to psychoanalyze Trump supporters or anyone else on the right. We should stick to policy and stay away from identity politics. And I say this as a liberal.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:05 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post

Thinking logically:

Thanks.
What about the 3 guys who are now on trial for murdering Ahmaud Arbery? They seemed to think they were well within their rights to chase down and shoot someone who looked like he didn't belong in that neighborhood.

The kind of people I know would have called the police if they thought something suspicious was going on.

Certain attitudes persist. They are taught and passed down within families.

Obviously we dont know how they vote, or if they vote. But these 3 guys are the type of people I think of when I think of "white males [who] vote Republican because they miss the days of being able to oppress women, people of color and LGBTQ people."

Old 11-07-2021, 09:16 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What about the 3 guys who are now on trial for murdering Ahmaud Arbery? They seemed to think they were well within their rights to chase down and shoot someone who looked like he didn't belong in that neighborhood.
He shot in order to protect himself from his attacker.

Quote:
The kind of people I know would have called the police if they thought something suspicious was going on.
Thank you for admitting you don't know any men.

Quote:
Like how every single Jim Crow law was passed by a democratic legislature?

Quote:
Obviously we dont know how they vote, or if they vote. But these 3 guys are the type of people I think of when I think of "white males [who] vote Republican because they miss the days of being able to oppress women, people of color and LGBTQ people."
Falsely label in order to vilify. It's dishonest and repulsive.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 11-07-2021 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-07-2021, 09:18 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He shot in order to protect himself from his attacker.

Thank you for admitting you don't know any men.

Like how every single Jim Crow was passed by a democratic legislature?

Falsely label in order to vilify. It's dishonest and repulsive.
Dishonest like claiming the Democratic Party’s role in Jim Crow is relevant.

**it’s not**

Old 11-07-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol - I'm 75 and as it turns out, I've always been a guy and I've always been white. To the best of my knowledge I have never been in a position to oppress anyone, nor have I felt the need to oppress anyone. I voted for Trump but I am registered as an independent and voted for George McGovern way back when.

I have several older brothers who are of the same mind.

YMMV
Humphrey actually won the popular vote by a hair back then. George Wallace was 2.5% points behind both in the popular vote and he didn't campaign the last 1/4 of the primary, including California. If he won, would have voted for him in the primary instead of McGovern?

Old 11-07-2021, 09:19 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:

Maybe they were just fed up with crime and blacks commit the majority of it according to the FBI. And when I voted for Trump, he was the first Republican I had ever voted for.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Dishonest like claiming the current Democratic Party has anything to do with Jim Crow?
Blacks are too incompetent to get an ID to vote as well as vote in a timely manner even though a majority of the voters want voter ID.

Blacks are too incompetent to compete on a level playing field which is why the left supports Affirmative Action.

And you don't think that's the same Jim Crow mentality? hahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies