Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 10:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
We might as well save any money for the completion of a Border wall.
Most drugs enter the US via legal ports of entry, vehicles, especially trucks and ship cargo.

The driver may or may not be aware he is transporting more than avocados.

Ship cargo is always suspect.

Then there are the tunnels, some as deep as 100’, complete with rail, designed to move tons of product.

Then there’s boats and planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. And good point. Seems bassakwards though. Let a problem manifest so we can create an agency to "fix" it...
Why do people consume alcohol?

Old 11-08-2021, 10:52 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why do people consume alcohol?
Not sure about anyone else, but I enjoy the taste, particularly of bourbon. For me, it's no different than coffee, ice tea or lemonade. Big difference from making the decision to take that first sip of alcohol, and making the decision to take that first injection of heroin or lighting up that pipe for that first inhale of meth.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin_10 View Post
It’s human nature.
Even animals take drugs in the wild. There’s these lemurs that lick millipedes to get a high.

But to relate it more to humans. Addiction is a symptom of a larger problem.

People take drugs to escape depression. And it doesn’t have to be street drugs or even a traditional drug. Gambling, sex, food, sugar, and obsession, they’re addiction. Addiction is more than just some substance you put in your body.
And if you look back at my earlier posts, that is why we need to find out why, so many people need to escape their lives or are depressed. Proactively get them help.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:05 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
The other option is to legalize it all. It may be time to do this.

Quote:
The irony is that the war on drugs fuels this…

Old 11-08-2021, 11:07 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
The nutty anti-pot freaks and their weird hatred of pot have helped drive the use of meth, imo - I did a brief stint at a transport company and was shocked at how common the use of meth was, as an alternative to pot that was less likely to be detected in random drug tests.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Nationalize mental healthcare and make it more accessible.

Our society has become more disconnected while ironically being more connected than ever.

Not to mention everything becoming less affordable and hours bring linger and pay being unlivable. So people get more jobs and essentially have no lives. Go to school? No time. Gotta work.

Also, I don’t wanna demonize drugs in general. Like I enjoy cannabis. Even tried shrooms once and it was pretty enjoyable. It’s not what people makenit out to be. But that’s as far as I’d go. I managed to find a better job a few years back. Luckily I had a support system which is my family. They helped me stay afloat. Alot of people don’t have that.

That segwways to my next point. Loneliness. My friend told me that he went to Germany where meth is legal. He went with cousins and friends to clubs and they do meth(no him). He was surprised. And they live stable/ordinary lives. Here, we think of people doing meth, we think of someone in the dark in an abandoned house shooting up.

I think the difference is social. They don’t have the need to do meth. They just do it because it enhances an already fun experience with friends. Here, people do it because it’s the only way to feel good and escape loneliness. They’re already broken.

I think loneliness is the biggest factor. Same as how I drink socially, and my uncle just drinks to pass out on the couch on the weekends. He never goes out. His whole Saturday is dedicated to watching TV with an 18 pack and drinking til’ he starts snoring.

Here’s a couple of good videos that explain it.

https://youtu.be/C8AHODc6phg

https://youtu.be/wJUXLqNHCaI
National healthcare is a topic for a different conversation, although we do need to focus more on mental health, and health in general. With the exception of those that try to be healthy, we are a nation of obese, lazy fast food eating individuals.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not sure about anyone else, but I enjoy the taste, particularly of bourbon. For me, it's no different than coffee, ice tea or lemonade. Big difference from making the decision to take that first sip of alcohol, and making the decision to take that first injection of heroin or lighting up that pipe for that first inhale of meth.
That depends.

There seems to be a sort of genetic predisposition to alcoholism. That first sip can lead to the first bottle for some. It takes time.

In contrast, all it takes is once for many to become addicted to some recreational drugs.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:27 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That depends.

There seems to be a sort of genetic predisposition to alcoholism. That first sip can lead to the first bottle for some. It takes time.

In contrast, all it takes is once for many to become addicted to some recreational drugs.
I've heard more often than not is that a lot of people become addicted because they had an injury of sorts and wound up getting addicted to pain meds. I'm really concerned at that because you can get in some kind of accident and require pain meds and for some that is how they get on it.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:28 AM

866 posts, read 319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The nutty anti-pot freaks and their weird hatred of pot have helped drive the use of meth, imo - I did a brief stint at a transport company and was shocked at how common the use of meth was, as an alternative to pot that was less likely to be detected in random drug tests.
Alternative? Using an upper instead of a downer?

You just sound like a pot proponent grasping at straws. My two problems with pot are that it affects people differently. For many it is not a problem but for many it is and because of it's widespread use there are more dysfunctional pot users than any other drug. The other issue us that many users move on to other more problematic drugs like meth and heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies