Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2021, 09:15 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've never been to Belarus. I'll just give you my perspective. I'd rather stay here. If it's left up to staying in the USA vs going to Belarus, I'll stay in America.
The thing is, if this guy thinks he is just going to buy a house and live peacefully, he is wrong.

Everyone will know who he is, and their goal will be to milk every little dollar from him, with the threat of kicking him out looming in the background.

Being a nice propaganda piece, he will be under the boot of the gov, having to do every little absurd thing they ask.

He will always live with the stress of getting booted at any time, or just arrested on some wayward charges and sentenced to prison there.

Ultimately, after he is broke and becoming a hassle to them, they will just kick him out, especially if a regime change happens.

This does not even get to quality of life stuff, even a simple visit to a dentist will be an eye opener for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Well America is getting worse by the second. I can't imagine what a heap of a mess this economic zone formerly known as America will be like in 100 years. My goodness this place is going to be a hell on earth at that point.
You have no clue, the US is not even close to the hole in the ground Belarus is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 09:36 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It’s not bizarre at all. The list of non-extradited countries isn’t very long or appealing.

I say good for him.
Countries with No Extradition Treaty with the U.S. 2021
  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Andorra
  • Angola
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Belarus
  • Benin
  • Botswana
  • Brunei
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Cameroon
  • Cape Verde
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • China
  • Comoros
  • Congo
  • Djibouti
  • East Timor
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Gabon
  • Georgia
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Indonesia
  • Ivory Coast
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kuwait
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Madagascar
  • Maldives
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • Nepal
  • Niger
  • Oman
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Rwanda
  • Samoa
  • São Tomé & Príncipe
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • Solomon Islands
  • Somalia
  • South Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Togo
  • Tunisia
  • Turkmenistan
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • UAE
  • Uzbekistan
  • Vanuatu
  • Vatican City
  • Vietnam
  • Yemen

Old 11-12-2021, 09:47 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Countries with No Extradition Treaty with the U.S. 2021
  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Andorra
  • Angola
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Belarus
  • Benin
  • Botswana
  • Brunei
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Cameroon
  • Cape Verde
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • China
  • Comoros
  • Congo
  • Djibouti
  • East Timor
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Gabon
  • Georgia
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Indonesia
  • Ivory Coast
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kuwait
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Madagascar
  • Maldives
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • Nepal
  • Niger
  • Oman
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Rwanda
  • Samoa
  • São Tomé & Príncipe
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • Solomon Islands
  • Somalia
  • South Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Togo
  • Tunisia
  • Turkmenistan
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • UAE
  • Uzbekistan
  • Vanuatu
  • Vatican City
  • Vietnam
  • Yemen
Plenty of countries on this list. Only a few I might consider moving to if all heck broke loose (and Belarus is not one of them): Andorra, Cape Verde, and Taiwan.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:52 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Quote:
Plenty of countries on this list. Only a few I might consider moving to if all heck broke loose (and Belarus is not one of them): Andorra, Cape Verde, and Taiwan.
I'll preface by saying I'm AA.

I think I'll go with the following in no specific order:

Laos
Morocco
Rwanda
Vatican City
Uganda
Tunisia
Taiwan ( I'll of my stuff is made here anyway)
Madagascar
Solomon Islands
Georgia

Old 11-12-2021, 09:55 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
I'd rather stay in America than move to Belarus. At least we can vote Biden out of office. Belarus is a full-on dictatorship with alot of problems. I cannot believe anyone would suggest that BELARUS of all places would be better to live in than the USA. Come on. Actually try and convince me that Belarus would be a better option, considering the things I have here in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Try not to be such a snowflake. We all have a very cushy life here in America with nearly unlimited opportunities to make great lives for ourselves. Open your eyes and appreciate what you have.

I am looking at this nation from the long game.

Too many of you are so focused on RIGHT NOW - you just can't see that we are in a tiny sliver of our time here on earth. I am looking at where we are headed...100...200 years from now (and where we've come from).

No snowflake here, I am a realist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

You have no clue, the US is not even close to the hole in the ground Belarus is.

I have no clue? Do you realize how many trillions this nation is in debt? Last I checked (and this was years ago), every man, woman and child is in debt about $150K EACH in America. And that was years ago - before Bush and Obama added more debt than every president before them combined, and before Biden was passing $4trilliong dollar packages every other month.

This nation and all the people that reside here down the road will be living in a modern hell.

Honestly mate, if you can't see where this is all headed, I feel sorry for you.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:

LOL...speaking of holes in the ground:

https://www.google.com/search?q=grap..._AUoAnoECAEQBA

And our debt keeps growing...and growing...and growing...

Who do you think is going to pay for all of this? When every single member of America owes $250K each, who do you think is going to pay for all of that?

Old 11-12-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The thing is, if this guy thinks he is just going to buy a house and live peacefully, he is wrong.

Everyone will know who he is, and their goal will be to milk every little dollar from him, with the threat of kicking him out looming in the background.

Being a nice propaganda piece, he will be under the boot of the gov, having to do every little absurd thing they ask.

He will always live with the stress of getting booted at any time, or just arrested on some wayward charges and sentenced to prison there.

Ultimately, after he is broke and becoming a hassle to them, they will just kick him out, especially if a regime change happens.

This does not even get to quality of life stuff, even a simple visit to a dentist will be an eye opener for him.
Everything I say, I don't say it to be critical of Belarus (or any other country in Eastern Europe). I say what I say because I'm seeing people on this thread saying really stupid things. I understand these things as someone who reads up on geography and how things work in other countries.

That "political refugee" will stick out in Belarus, big time. Just his notoriety will mean he will have a hard time not being noticed. I never thought about that, but it it's a very cogent point.

Knowing how Aleksander Lukashenko works, the capitol riot suspect will likely be watched. I do not doubt he could be used as a propaganda piece by Lukashenko, and by Putin. Some people will use him as "look, America has gone soft and become a cesspool. This American fled because he wanted to go somewhere, where men are men". Or, someone could say "America is so bad that the former USSR is more free than America". And I bet some people on this forum feel that way, or some people might use the propaganda as a dog whistle for other political issues. The capitol suspect might have had other reasons for choosing Belarus. Reasons I won't mention on this post. However, it could go two ways. He could end up being the government's lap dog and enjoy it out of spite towards America. Or, he might leave Belarus after not being able to adjust to it.

As for the quality of life in Belarus, I will let you give the details on that.

Quote:
The USA has gone through hard times before and has survived. The USA certainly has problems right now. However, as someone who doesn't support Biden, I know this. I can vote. I have freedom of speech. I can criticize the government without the threat of prison.

I also have to consider that some people have other reasons for preferring the former USSR (particularly Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), that go beyond this capitol riot suspect.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I'll preface by saying I'm AA.

I think I'll go with the following in no specific order:

Laos
Morocco
Rwanda
Vatican City
Uganda
Tunisia
Taiwan ( I'll of my stuff is made here anyway)
Madagascar
Solomon Islands
Georgia
I was thinking about the countries on this list with the least corrupt governments.
I'm African-Americans too.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I am looking at this nation from the long game.

Too many of you are so focused on RIGHT NOW - you just can't see that we are in a tiny sliver of our time here on earth. I am looking at where we are headed...100...200 years from now (and where we've come from).

No snowflake here, I am a realist.
This is the thing. If I was going to leave America, it wouldn't be to live in the former USSR or many of the former Eastern Bloc countries (I might give the Czech Republic a try in terms of living there). If I was going to leave America for another country, I would take my chances with Switzerland, The UK, Ireland, Norway, or France.

I am focused on right now because I understand what it might be like to live in Belarus. I understand what in spite of America's current problems, I know I will have more freedom here vs Belarus. I understand that America is not at the best it could be. At the same time, I look back over the annals of American history. America has been even worse than this and managed to survive. I've been on this planet since 1986. The America that I've known the last 35 years isn't perfect. However, it certainly beats what Belarus is RIGHT NOW. I'm not saying Belarus can't be a democratic country, a free country with very good government. What I'm saying is that between the USA vs Belarus, I have no incentive to take a risk on leaving America for Belarus. And you still haven't been able to convince me otherwise. I've criticized the government in America. I've never spent a day of my live in a prison cell. I've never seen the inside of a prison (other than on documentaries about prisons).

I look at where we've come from. I look at where I would have been from 1776 up to 1965. Let's just say I'm glad I was born in 1986 instead of 1926. Change my mind. You're looking at 100 years. I'm 35 and for me, I might not be alive 100 years from now. I could live to be 100 provided I take care of myself. However, I don't worry so much about 100 years from now. I think more about what happened in the past and make sure that doesn't repeat itself.

I am a realist as well. I am a realist in the aspect that the USA is far more free and far more democratic than Belarus. That capitol suspect is just a criminal on the run.

Now, riddle me this. Why would I, myself personally, why would I want to leave the USA for Belarus knowing what I know? I notice no one can answer that question. What would Belarus provide me that the USA can't?

Quote:
I have no clue? Do you realize how many trillions this nation is in debt? Last I checked (and this was years ago), every man, woman and child is in debt about $150K EACH in America. And that was years ago - before Bush and Obama added more debt than every president before them combined, and before Biden was passing $4trilliong dollar packages every other month.

This nation and all the people that reside here down the road will be living in a modern hell.

Honestly mate, if you can't see where this is all headed, I feel sorry for you.
I am aware of how things are. I also know that when comparing Belarus vs the USA, it's better to just stay put. BTW, the person you responded to used to live in Belarus. I think said person would know better than you would.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
This is the thing. If I was going to leave America, it wouldn't be to live in the former USSR or many of the former Eastern Bloc countries (I might give the Czech Republic a try in terms of living there). If I was going to leave America for another country, I would take my chances with Switzerland, The UK, Ireland, Norway, or France.

I am focused on right now because I understand what it might be like to live in Belarus. I understand what in spite of America's current problems, I know I will have more freedom here vs Belarus. I understand that America is not at the best it could be. At the same time, I look back over the annals of American history. America has been even worse than this and managed to survive. I've been on this planet since 1986. The America that I've known the last 35 years isn't perfect. However, it certainly beats what Belarus is RIGHT NOW. I'm not saying Belarus can't be a democratic country, a free country with very good government. What I'm saying is that between the USA vs Belarus, I have no incentive to take a risk on leaving America for Belarus. And you still haven't been able to convince me otherwise. I've criticized the government in America. I've never spent a day of my live in a prison cell. I've never seen the inside of a prison (other than on documentaries about prisons).

I look at where we've come from. I look at where I would have been from 1776 up to 1965. Let's just say I'm glad I was born in 1986 instead of 1926. Change my mind. You're looking at 100 years. I'm 35 and for me, I might not be alive 100 years from now. I could live to be 100 provided I take care of myself. However, I don't worry so much about 100 years from now. I think more about what happened in the past and make sure that doesn't repeat itself.

I am a realist as well. I am a realist in the aspect that the USA is far more free and far more democratic than Belarus. That capitol suspect is just a criminal on the run.

Now, riddle me this. Why would I, myself personally, why would I want to leave the USA for Belarus knowing what I know? I notice no one can answer that question. What would Belarus provide me that the USA can't?

I am aware of how things are. I also know that when comparing Belarus vs the USA, it's better to just stay put. BTW, the person you responded to used to live in Belarus. I think said person would know better than you would.
Maybe they know better, or maybe they have a few axes to grind (and/or an agenda). I'm sure not every person in Belarus thinks poorly of it, like said poster (if they're telling the truth and are truly from there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies