Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 07:52 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Oh stop it.
Why? My experience is valid and real.
Is any and all talk of sex so uncomfortable that you have to tell others to stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 07:54 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Agreed. There are young people having sex in middle school. It is important to reach them early.
So they already know that young people are sexually active. Why do they need to survey them in detail? Just teach the subject academically and scientifically.

I'm from a different mindset, where you send the kids to school to learn subjects like history, math and reading. I don't even see how the school is responsible for a private thing like sexuality, that often intersects with religion, which is the parent's domain.

My kids are out of school now, but in our current climate, if I had to do it again I'd home school. It is becoming clear that schools are far too interested in molding children, rather than teaching them.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:56 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Was on Long Island. Started in 6th grade. I personally asked the teacher about BJs because I honestly didn’t know. This was way way way before the internet.
And I was in NYC, Manhattan to be exact.

Sex education was not taught in schools until 1978

Old 11-09-2021, 07:58 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,588 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I’m in my 60s and we were asked those questions - anonymously. I remember laughing about it with my friends. I’m pretty sure my kids were also 20 years ago. No big deal really.
My kids were also asked similiar questions about drug and alcohol use.
Same. How does anyone in this thread think they get those stats when you read about teen sexual activity? I’ve long thought them unreliable because we laughed this off too.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:59 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
So they already know that young people are sexually active. Why do they need to survey them in detail? Just teach the subject academically and scientifically.

I'm from a different mindset, where you send the kids to school to learn subjects like history, math and reading. I don't even see how the school is responsible for a private thing like sexuality, that often intersects with religion, which is the parent's domain.

My kids are out of school now, but in our current climate, if I had to do it again I'd home school. It is becoming clear that schools are far too interested in molding children, rather than teaching them.
All we wanted to know in high school was how, where and how much was an abortion. They were just made legal back then.
Many girls didn’t have to drop out of school because of the law change.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:59 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

Same! My kids are all now approaching 30. I too would be yanking them out of the indoctrination centers, um, I mean schools.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:00 AM

8,412 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Ok why is this important for school staff to know ?
Are schools taking over parental responsibilities now ?

Parents are told in VA to butt out, leave parenting to the authorities.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:01 AM

19,824 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
NBD ? I'm also in my 60's and we didn't even have sex education back then. Sex was never discussed at school.
Slightly younger but we never had questionnaires regarding sexual experiences or perceptions. We did have brief sex ed class in junior high.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:03 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not seeing the problem. The survey is not mandatory and is also anonymous. It is important to know what these young people are engaging in and how many are possibly involved in adult activity.

It is the language of the article that is problematic. The article uses the language “sex and dating lives.” When it comes to teens, those activities should not be characterized as such. The survey is an inquiry into the number of teens involved in premature activities and how they are perceiving themselves.
Why?

If a guy on the street were asking kids these questions, he'd be arrested. The community would be in uproar and the guy would be hunted down. Ever seen those FB threads where moms post about the weird guy in the park and warn other parents???

Why does the teacher need to know this?

Old 11-09-2021, 08:06 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
Jesus some of y'all are so repressed. I got asked questions like these (under a mostly anonymous setting) when I was in middle school and high school in the mid-00's. It's not that weird, kids of both sexes start sleeping around pretty young whether you want to acknowledge it or not. It's just part of human nature, and since humans start to become sexually mature as young as 11 or 12, we should absolutely be teaching them about the dangers of unprotected sex, STDs, along with giving them correct information about the changes their bodies are going through.

This is nothing more than manufactured outrage for the so-called 'purity' culture.
It doesn't belong in the school.

Has nothing to do with purity culture.

It's a passive way to shove more indoctrination at students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies