Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 11:21 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times

Advertisements

Let’s cut to the chase: why do non-wealthy people vote Republican? It’s bizarre. The Republicans clearly favor the interests of big business and the ultra-wealthy. The Ayn Rand wing of the party wants to turn the clock back to the 1890s, with no rights for working people and complete corporate dominance. They have largely succeeded.

The only explanation I can think of: since 1992, the Democrats have become a Republican Party clone, at least on economic issues. If that’s true, the only thing that differentiates the two parties is their stance on cultural issues. So working class people who are white, gun-owning, religious, and anti-abortion vote Republican. I suppose that’s rational. If they have no choice but to vote against their economic interests, they might as well vote for the party that aligns with their cultural beliefs.

Maybe if the Democrats had some stones and returned to their working class roots, they would get more working class voters. The whole Trump phenomenon might not have happened if the Democrats would have stood up to the neoliberal assault on working people. Unfortunately, the Democrats were probably too dependent on corporate money for that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 11:23 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
I think another question to consider is this. Why is the political polarization in America most pronounced between working class Whites and working class Blacks?

Old 10-30-2021, 11:30 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Becasue they don't want to be dependent on the government for everything. My question is why do you want the government to control every aspect of your life?

Old 10-30-2021, 11:38 AM

6,047 posts, read 2,856,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Republicans clearly favor the interests of big business and the ultra-wealthy.
Uh, Big Business and the Ultra-Wealthy donated and voted Democrat in 2020.

The Democratic Party is becoming the party of the Elites, and the Republican Party is becoming the Worker's Party.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:40 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Why do non-wealthy people vote Republican?

Most of them do not understand politics at all. They don't understand the Republican Party, how it is controlled and financed, and what it's actual agenda is.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:43 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
Another person who doesn't understand that non-wealthy working class people i.e. people who actually pay taxes recognize that they are being taxed to death to pay for the poor often non working class people's ability to receive free benefits they themselves have to pay for. Case in point be poor even slightly poor get free Medicaid health insurance. Be a working class person pay 500 a month for health insurance you cant use because of high deductibles and pay the taxes which are providing free health insurance to others.

Don't you think things like that anger people?Its not support for Republicans whom many people actually dislike but its the only viable option out there besides Democrates who want to take away the little working class people have to give it to other people. And these days that includes millions upon millions of illegals. Its funny the only people i see who don't understand this are people who are elitist born into some type of wealth, the privlaged class who work government jobs which provide great benefits of people who hope to get free stuff from the government so they never have to work i.e. the Universal Basic Income folks.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:45 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
They think republicans are actually backing the working class jabrone. People need to wise up and vote for neither of these two jokes. The middle class needs a new voice. A voice they clearly wont get from either of these two parties. Breeding Welfare recipients/Rich Elites is all they care about. You would think people would have learned from the last 20 elections who these two parties care about. And certainly aint you... The WORKER

Old 10-30-2021, 11:49 AM

18,472 posts, read 8,298,361 times
why...because Soros, Zuckerberg, and Bezos told them to

4/26/2021
Democrats are the party of the wealthy, IRS data show

Democrats represented 65% of taxpayers with a household income of $500,000 or more in 2020, according to IRS data, while 74% of taxpayers in Republican districts have household incomes of less than $100,000.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ow/ar-BB1g4rb8

Old 10-30-2021, 11:55 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Another person who doesn't understand that non-wealthy working class people i.e. people who actually pay taxes recognize that they are being taxed to death to pay for the poor often non working class people's ability to receive free benefits they themselves have to pay for. Case in point be poor even slightly poor get free Medicaid health insurance. Be a working class person pay 500 a month for health insurance you cant use because of high deductibles and pay the taxes which are providing free health insurance to others.

Don't you think things like that anger people?Its not support for Republicans whom many people actually dislike but its the only viable option out there besides Democrates who want to take away the little working class people have to give it to other people. And these days that includes millions upon millions of illegals. Its funny the only people i see who don't understand this are people who are elitist born into some type of wealth, the privlaged class who work government jobs which provide great benefits of people who hope to get free stuff from the government so they never have to work i.e. the Universal Basic Income folks.
LOL. You bought the whole thing, hook, line. and sinker.

The Rs are certainly successful with their messaging.

We vote Republican so the super wealthy can avoid paying any taxes. We believe that myth about job creators, forgetting the part about demand. Without consumers what would their wealth come from?

We vote Republican so we can breath dirty air, and with the Supremes on board it will get worse.

We vote Republican so our kids can consume plastic with their fish sticks and bottled water.

We vote Republican so the builders of our homes, restaurant chains, donut makers and the processors of our food can hire illegals and make it sound like they had nothing to do with illegals. They had no idea those ids were fake.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:00 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Becasue they don't want to be dependent on the government for everything. My question is why do you want the government to control every aspect of your life?
How is the government controlling every aspect of anyone’s life?

If anyone has control over my life, if is my employer, not the government. My employer is a far greater threat to my liberty than the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies