Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 01:39 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,422,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
No, I was implying that the US uses metric already, but I see you didn’t catch it. And yes, I can read a clock, digital and analog, 12/24 .
you stated one was easier...which is not factual, especially for any of us that have been trained in both

I can look at a bolt and tell you its a 9/16... or 15mm in metric (9/16 is actually 14.33mm) and while both wrenches will work, one will be just slightly loose compared to the other,,, and the one that is loose will also have a change of rounding the bolt head if it was torqued down

there are 25.4mm to 1 inch

as to toilets or urinals being marked as 3.8l flush... that's because these are international companies shipping their products world wide.... and some people abroad might not be "understanding" if it said 1 US Gal flush... for example a imperial gallon is 4.546 litres while a US gallon is 3.785 ...so when you say its makred 3.8l I already know that is 1 US Gallon

and yes being a retired SGM, I use the 24hr clock all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 02:20 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,571,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrisewesteast View Post
Yeah! They can take their freedom fries and stick them up the Eiffel tower for all I care. We are better and everyone knows it, it's just a fact.
Sounds like a comment someone from the Lubyanka would draft.

Wrong... not better in health care, lifespan, freedom, economic freedom, bureaucracy, racism, homophobia, equality, justice, innovation (China leads there now), or human rights.

Ya got one hell of a military though.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:20 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,447,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Further in what? You make it sound that US customary units gives inaccurate measurements or slows production or innovation. The U.S. has built the best economy in man's history with the most lethal Armed Forces in the planet in the history in technology and innovation by using US customary units. Nobody comes close. Explain why the other countries are really behind?

I do get why you need to learn the metric system in this global economy (that's why we have a converter and easy to use) . It's like learning to speak Spanish (which is a lot more complicated and has more rules and letters in their alphabet and their accent grammar than English) if you are dealing directly with Spanish countries but that doesn't make what has work for the U.S. worthless or inferior.

What's next, having 1 universal language because some want life simplified?

When We fall behind the world in the ladder in production and technology and innovation then We can start a discussion in changing the whole system that has work fine for the U.S.
Wow, you certainly see things in postings that just aren't there.

Further ALONG with being fully metric.

The rest of your post is just trying to say I said things, when I didn't.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:53 PM

25,467 posts, read 18,594,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I know both systems. I'm a Veteran that has traveled all over the world and used high technical equipment everyday to do my job and dealt with technicians,Aerospace engineers and Civil engineers that use heavily US customary units and I find both sides good and I'm not trashing one side over the other but I'm the closed minded, irrational and illogical? Thanks for the laugh.
Most of the smart people in my life in the military were mostly civilians with high degrees in the Department of Defense use US customary units. Like I said, there is a difference being in a classroom with teachers with opinions and being on the field and depend on people that actual makes it work.

There is 2 sides to a coin. Not a right way or wrong way because if you were right, We wouldn't have built the best economy in world's history and the most lethal Armed Forces in the world. Nobody comes close.

I understand your point. And I'm not trashing either system. Just pointing out ease of use and logical scaling system of one that the other does not have. You speak of being in the field and using a system of measurements. Let me ask you this: having not used either system, but being expected to (on a job), would you find it easier to memorize a bunch of random numbers (or look them up in tables) and work with fraction arithmetic to do a conversion, or would you find it easier to simply slip a decimal to the right or left? (again, assuming no pre-knowledge or comfort with either system)

Old 11-12-2021, 06:05 PM

13,364 posts, read 4,217,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Wow, you certainly see things in postings that just aren't there.

Further ALONG with being fully metric.

The rest of your post is just trying to say I said things, when I didn't.
Well you said if the U.S. adopted the Metric system We would be further along? I asked in what? We would have a better economy and We go from #1 to #1 on steroids. We would produce more or better or have more innovations?

What part did I made up about your post? My post was in response to your comment. I hope you don't think I'm trying to put words in your mouth, that's not my style. Maybe I misunderstood your meaning of further along.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:44 PM

38,623 posts, read 26,296,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Every other country uses it. So do you think it would even be possible?

I think we're inching towards it.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:46 PM

13,364 posts, read 4,217,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I understand your point. And I'm not trashing either system. Just pointing out ease of use and logical scaling system of one that the other does not have. You speak of being in the field and using a system of measurements. Let me ask you this: having not used either system, but being expected to (on a job), would you find it easier to memorize a bunch of random numbers (or look them up in tables) and work with fraction arithmetic to do a conversion, or would you find it easier to simply slip a decimal to the right or left? (again, assuming no pre-knowledge or comfort with either system)

And I respect your opinion. I use both. My wife uses both and she uses metric for sewing and embroidery because her machines are Viking and that's made in Sweden. She likes some things in the U.S. System and others the metric. She tells me she doesn't have an issue using both systems because using a converter is easy and she likes numbers. I'm just sharing my experience with the military with the engineers and technicians in different fields that I worked with on very high tech and expensive equipment I was just the operator, they were the wizards.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:58 PM

16,418 posts, read 10,458,871 times
I'm used to the Imperial system and would prefer not to change, but I suppose I could make the adjustment if I had to. Except for one thing: temperatures. Fahrenheit is a much better system than Celsius, because the most important measures are the ones emphasized. What I mean is this: is it more important to know the temperature at which water freezes/boils, or the temperatures that are at the edges of normal human tolerance absent artificial climate control? Water freezes at 32 F/0 C, but so what? 0 C feels very cold to the average human, and anything under that begins to feel life-threatening. Water boils at 212 F/100 C, but again, so what? 100 F feels very hot to the average human, and anything over that begins to feel life-threatening. Those are the measurements that are the most important, and having a system that lets you easily gauge the difference between those points and any given temperature is far more important than knowing how far you are from water freezing or boiling.

Old 11-13-2021, 05:16 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,540,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would cost US public and private sectors billions, maybe trillions to switch over...so I just don't see someone making a successful case for this regardless of politics.

Think about all the tools and mechanical items that are all currently non-metric...cars, trucks tractors, washing machine couplings, sink fittings Then the street signs at probably $200 a pop to replace x how many hundred million signs?

Maybe while we're at it we can get all the countries that drive on the left to switch to driving on the right for consistency.
Your point has validity if you try to change everything at once. To me, the smart way would be to have a gradual change. Instead of throwing away equipment now, do so when the equipment is outdated and needs replacement. So, your point has validity IF people try to change the whole system right away, not as much if it gradual as things need to be changed.

The same with street signs. Cities constantly replace them as weather and time deteriorate them, and destroyed by traffic accidents. When the need to change a sign is there, change it to metric. Yes, people will complain that they not know what is the speed in kilometers. Guess what, there are charts to let them know, and some cars have both scales in the speedometer. An attitude problem is an obstacle in my opinion.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 11-13-2021, 05:20 AM

8,365 posts, read 4,531,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I understand that the metric system is actually easier to understand and more logical, but I don’t mind using imperial units. Not sure it’s worth the time and effort to mandate some type of move toward the metric system in the US. We seem to be getting by just fine using a combination of units.

Why not? Mandates are all the rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies