Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should have control over my body?
My body, my choice 87 93.55%
My body, government's choice 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 11:31 AM

162 posts, read 107,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You have a choice if only you suffer the consequences. When you start to harm others, you give up that right. I don't believe a government has the right to mandate all citizens get vaccinated. I do believe they have the right to say you need to be vaccinated if you want to be around others. A person can choose to not be vaccinated, and live a more isolated lifestyle where they aren't at risk of harming other people.
Ok, so you DO believe government should have control over your body. So my question still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 11:32 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
An abortion involves the killing of another human. It's not the woman's body, it's someone elses. But regardless, abortion is legal in this country, giving the woman a choice. But you lefties don't want people to have a choice on a medical treatment. So really you think my body, my choice only applies to killing babies.
You can’t have it both ways.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:37 AM

1,871 posts, read 648,817 times
Quote:
You have a choice if only you suffer the consequences. When you start to harm others, you give up that right. I don't believe a government has the right to mandate all citizens get vaccinated. I do believe they have the right to say you need to be vaccinated if you want to be around others. A person can choose to not be vaccinated, and live a more isolated lifestyle where they aren't at risk of harming other people.
The highlighted is a potential contradiction.

The government may not mandate and the government may advise others to avoid you. But advisement is not enough. Many (A) will chose to avoid you, but many (B) will chose not. So what are A supposed to do?

The government cannot impose a mandate on A but leave B alone. The mandate would have to be on both to avoid you while leaving you the choice of getting vaccinated or not. But that would open up a different can of worms.

A government mandate is ultimately a shifting of responsibility.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:37 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by End Game View Post
Ok, so you DO believe government should have control over your body. So my question still stands.
No, not at all. You have 100% control over your body, provided you don't harm anyone else.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:38 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
No. They don't. The federal government, at least, has no such right. You are NOT entitled to be free from all risk, nor can any government anywhere guarantee any such thing. If you're afraid, feel free to take whatever measures you feel appropriate to protect yourself. But that is on you and you only. No one else has any obligation to cooperate with you.

You do on your own private property ONLY, but I have no desire to be around a Karen who thinks they are entitled to know my medical history.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:43 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Quote:
No, not at all. You have 100% control over your body, provided you don't harm anyone else.
You are criminalizing breathing.

New data shows the obese don't mount much of a response to the vaccine. Do they have the right to remain obese?

Old 11-11-2021, 11:45 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
You are criminalizing breathing.

New data shows the obese don't mount much of a response to the vaccine. Do they have the right to remain obese?
Yes, you do have a right to be obese. Being obese doesn't cause others to become obese as well. There's no herd immunity for obesity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
You do on your own private property ONLY, but I have no desire to be around a Karen who thinks they are entitled to know my medical history.
And I have no desire to be around snowflakes who put other people in harm's way because they are afraid of a vaccine. Do whatever you want with your body, provided it doesn't harm other people.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:47 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Yes, you do have a right to be obese. Being obese doesn't cause others to become obese as well. There's no herd immunity for obesity.

And I have no desire to be around snowflakes who put other people in harm's way because they are afraid of a vaccine. Do whatever you want with your body, provided it doesn't harm other people.
My breathing normally doesn't harm anyone.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:49 AM

984 posts, read 442,017 times
You get to pick what you do with your body, 100%, whether it's carrying/ending a pregnancy or getting a vaccine.

You are free to choose.

You are not free to avoid the consequences of those choices, though. If you want an elective abortion, you may need to take one or more days off from work and find a way to pay for the procedure under the current laws.

If you don't want a vaccine, you might have to pay more for health insurance and you might not be able to go to the theater/ballgame or work in certain environments.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:49 AM

4,546 posts, read 2,268,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
You can’t have it both ways.

Abortion is already legal so my view is not relevant. But if abortion is legal (my body, my choice), then vax mandates should be illegal (my body, my choice). And if the mandates stand, then I am seriously hoping that abortion is outlawed because the vax mandate means that a person no longer has any control over their body - so let's go all of the way then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies