Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 07:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Excuses, excuses. The left believe that "everyone" is a winner so it should not matter who takes that test..right ?
That's not what she said at all.

If you only allow the tests of the highest achieving students to be counted, it would raise your appearance of excellence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 07:40 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,698,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Hmm. Interesting, and also interesting that he's taught at the same school for 27 years, so he's credible.

But we're not seeing that here.

His current experience reflects what has been going on since the 60's in inner city New York and New Jersey schools. 80 years of chaos in those schools.

What we do see here, is second semester senior year, the students who are on the very very precipice of graduating but need a couple more credits here and there are offered avenues to achieve that. And that's about 10 kids per year, out of about 580 graduating seniors. They are given extra help, a true hand out, a gift, to get them across the stage if they're close to achieving all the requirements.

But we're not seeing the lawlessness in the hallways or classrooms, at all. At all.

Interestingly, his high school, JFK in Patterson is rated 5 out of 10 on GreatSchools (so, average), with this population breakdown: Asian 44%, hispanic 25%, White 21%, Black 9%.

https://www.greatschools.org/new-jer...m-High-School/
I've been in education for about 30 years myself, with 17 years at one school, and 9 in my current assignment, and what the guy in the video explains is not my experience at all... not at the "rich" schools I worked at, or at the working class/hispanic schools that I worked at. I know at two of the schools I worked at, decades apart, we did have a problem with drugs on campus, and school fights certainly happen from time to time, but it's not the chaos that the retired teacher explains. I do admit though, that the laws have changed over the years, and schools have been forced to find other tools to use besides suspensions and expulsions for many offenses. Some districts are really good at this, others are still a work in progress.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:00 PM

43,093 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
That's not what she said at all.

If you only allow the tests of the highest achieving students to be counted, it would raise your appearance of excellence.
But that is what US Education says..."everyone is a winner". And it's US Education that picks students knowing full well what PISA scores mean on a global level. But remember we can't pick by skill level because...equity and diversity.

Well, our declining PISA scores reflect those poor decisions.

You want to be #1 then you have to send THE BEST because the rest of the world does not give a hoot about our obsession with racial equity, diversity, blah, blah, blah.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I think there's more to this story. Alhambra is full of Chinese immigrants who can't speak English. If they get D's and F's they can't get into college.
Right... a scheme to keep all the Chinese kids from failing high school. That must be it.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Right... a scheme to keep all the Chinese kids from failing high school. That must be it.
I laughed. LOL

Old 11-13-2021, 10:43 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I think there's more to this story. Alhambra is full of Chinese immigrants who can't speak English. If they get D's and F's they can't get into college.
School demographics: https://www.ahsmoors.org/apps/pages/...pREC_ID=710451

47% Asian and 38% Hispanic. Whites and Blacks make up the rest of the student body. There are likely many Chinese students there, but how many of them don't speak English? 16% of the whole of the student body is has limited English proficiency. I don't think it's really just a limited English issue.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:46 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Hmm. Interesting, and also interesting that he's taught at the same school for 27 years, so he's credible.

But we're not seeing that here.

His current experience reflects what has been going on since the 60's in inner city New York and New Jersey schools. 80 years of chaos in those schools.

What we do see here, is second semester senior year, the students who are on the very very precipice of graduating but need a couple more credits here and there are offered avenues to achieve that. And that's about 10 kids per year, out of about 580 graduating seniors. They are given extra help, a true hand out, a gift, to get them across the stage if they're close to achieving all the requirements. Those 10 might be given some kind of "art" credit he references.

But we're not seeing the lawlessness in the hallways or classrooms, at all. At all.

Interestingly, his high school, JFK in Paterson is rated 5 out of 10 on GreatSchools (so, average), with this population breakdown: Asian 44%, hispanic 25%, White 21%, Black 9%.

https://www.greatschools.org/new-jer...m-High-School/
I'm saying your school was like that. And I'm not saying every school is like that. The qualifier I'm using is that MANY schools have been in decline for quite some time. That particular high school in Paterson is one example. And this isn't just a NYC issue. It's been going on in the inner cities ghettos of Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, etc. My point is that many schools have been in bad shape for quite some time. The bad grades are just part of it.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
School demographics: https://www.ahsmoors.org/apps/pages/...pREC_ID=710451

47% Asian and 38% Hispanic. Whites and Blacks make up the rest of the student body. There are likely many Chinese students there, but how many of them don't speak English? 16% of the whole of the student body is has limited English proficiency. I don't think it's really just a limited English issue.
I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley, where Alhambra is located, and have spent much time there, as well as worked with schools within the district. I think I may have even applied to work there once I finished grad school. And it's pretty much Asians and Hispanics... with a growing Asian population. There seems to be a lot more Asians now than there was growing up (although there were definitely Asians then too). Even driving down the street, a lot of the store signs are in Chinese (or some sort of asian language that I can't read). Alhambra, San Marino, Arcadia, and now North El Monte seem to be the areas with pretty large Asian populations.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:53 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
It will be both - country of burger flippers AND crappy doctors etc. Those who didn't learn in school that hard work is required for success (well, unless your parent is billionaire or govt official) - will never learn it later. By the way, did you read what you write? You actually are saying that those who can learn by themselves will continue to excel. There are two problems with that. First, then why we need schools at all? And second problem - it's much easier to bring human to a pig level than to raise a pig to a human level. What we see in schools today is exactly this - taking people back to monkey level.
That is quite likely the case. The schools and teachers want to be seen do be doing well, so they lower the bar. Sort of like doing the limbo dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgCHOrF5ryY

How low can you go?

Old 11-14-2021, 11:34 AM

43,093 posts, read 18,259,632 times
And when they "graduate" from HS with no grades they can continue on to Community College for free for 6 semesters and don't even have to pass any classes to continue getting the free money.

The current bill in the House pays for 6 semesters at a Community College and requires no passing grades for any class taken.
But in return for all that free money the CC has to adhere to some of the FedGov (DOE) "guidelines".

So ...CC's will be under the thumb of the Fed just like K-12 with "do this or we'll pull your Fed funds".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies