Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 09:26 AM

29,420 posts, read 22,317,254 times

Advertisements

Is it any wonder other countries surpass ours in terms of youth and education?

Woke culture continues to lower the bar and reward underachievers. One either wants to learn, or they don't. Everything else is just weak excuses.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/faced-soa...130030318.html

Quote:
These days, the Alhambra High School English teacher has done away with points entirely. He no longer gives students homework and gives them multiple opportunities to improve essays and classwork. The goal is to base grades on what students are learning, and remove behavior, deadlines and how much work they do from the equation.

The changes Moreno embraced are part of a growing trend in which educators are moving away from traditional point-driven grading systems, aiming to close large academic gaps among racial, ethnic and economic groups. The trend was accelerated by the pandemic and school closures that caused troubling increases in Ds and Fs across the country and by calls to examine the role of institutionalized racism in schools in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd by a police officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 09:35 AM

18,423 posts, read 9,043,161 times
If that’s true, that’s insane.

I’d probably be labeled a “liberal” by most. But I don’t think dumbing down the school system is beneficial for anyone. That’s just stupid. The students will be the victims of this. They will be stuck in minimum wage jobs for life.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:37 AM

15,593 posts, read 6,324,778 times
The pass/fail grading system has been around for a while now, so really I'm not sure this is anything new. But students who don't learn to do homework will be woefully unprepared for college.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:48 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,815,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

I’d probably be labeled a “liberal” by most. But I don’t think dumbing down the school system is beneficial for anyone. That’s just stupid. The students will be the victims of this. They will be stuck in minimum wage jobs for life.
So your assumption is that if you don't letter grade learning then the kids won't learn?

I wonder if at the end of the term the kids in that kind of a system are any worse off.

Don't most school communities/stats have some kind of end of term assessment/test. I guess that will determine if this type of teaching is working or not.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:51 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,747,590 times
That Alhambra High English teacher needs to be fired.

If everyone in your class is getting Ds and Fs, you're 1) unreasonably harsh in your grading, 2) you suck as a teacher, 3) the students aren't putting in the effort, 4) something's wrong with the assessment, or 5) the pace of teaching is unreasonably fast for the students' abilities, or 6) the material itself is too hard.

All 6 of those scenarios lead to one conclusion: The teacher is incompetent.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,423,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

No, not necessarily...if grading standards are lowered, eventually that will trickle down/up...other expectations/standards will be lowered as well.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:53 AM

16,934 posts, read 12,478,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The pass/fail grading system has been around for a while now, so really I'm not sure this is anything new. But students who don't learn to do homework will be woefully unprepared for college.
Many high schools are tracked. They are not allowed to call it that.

I have 2 kids at opposite ends of the grading spectrum.

Son is pulled and dragged across the finish by me and his teachers. He is headed to trade school, not college.

Daughter is almost always the second smartest kid in the class of 20. All advanced level classes except math which is only college prep level. She is BURIED under homework and there is zero leeway given.

IMHO this is correct. The trade school kids need to graduate based on their abilities and do need to graduate. They are not competing with the high ability college kids for anything.

the issue is the lower end college kids. Throw in grade inflation to further skew the mix.

Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I had a 2.9 GPA. It was good enough to rank 32 of 105 in my class and go to a good college. Now 2.9 would lead to a poor college and a poor rank.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:55 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,125,646 times
Has *woke* EVER raised standards, expectations, achievement, accomplishments?

.........can't think of any.

Woke only LOWERS standards; equity thru mediocrity.

The US already ranks low in math, reading, science compared to other countries - and down we go the woke path to educational ruin.

Woke needs to die.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:03 AM

25,337 posts, read 16,977,494 times
I may have benefited from such a program, especially early in my school years. I don't expect many people will understand why; too often low grades are assumed to be the result of "laziness". So the student hears that over and over.

Lots of famous achievers were branded "lazy" by their teachers. I certainly was. Personally I have known more lazy teachers than lazy students. Students are more likely to be misguided or disadvantaged than lazy.

But I did well in life. No one ever called me lazy who worked alongside me, or who worked for me when I reached that position. I'm retired now (2010); never did go to college. I began in sales, moved to sales management, then to marketing/sales manager, on to director of sales/marketing, and then to self employment.

I never did learn how to diagram sentences.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:06 AM

2,369 posts, read 897,549 times
I think there's more to this story. Alhambra is full of Chinese immigrants who can't speak English. If they get D's and F's they can't get into college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies