Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 07:07 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,758,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's the name of it. Biden didn't pick that name.
Brandon wasn't speaking just about the league. He first referred to the man by calling him "The Great Negro".

Would you be okay and expect no response from the left if Trump called Obama "The Negro"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 07:08 PM

28,617 posts, read 18,647,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I was out all today and missed everything....cnn says this is not real...is it? is there video?
Biden was trying to say, "Negro League--at the time--pitcher, Satchel Paige," but stuttered it.

He should have just said "Major League pitcher," since Paige did pitch in the majors after the Negro League was disbanded.

Or he should just give up those rambling reminiscences.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:09 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,032,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Afro-American" for about eight seconds between black and African-American.

I personally usually use "black" myself.

But a story: At my high school graduation ceremony, I was given a scholarship from what was known to be a very conservative (white) men's lodge in that Oklahoma town. The old guy at the podium--probably as old then as Biden is now--started his speech saying, "This is the first time we've given this scholarship to a colored boy...."

There was a collective gasp across the audience. But it didn't bother me. First, a lot of black people his age still used "colored." Second, they were giving me money, so I didn't figure he'd come there to insult me.

Edit: He actually said "colored boy"
When my son was in 5th grade, he was yelled at by his teacher for saying “black” instead of “African American.”

There was one black, excuse me— “African American”— kid in the class and he and my son were best friends.

Now 8 years later, we’re supposed to say black again. I would never call anyone a negro but the player was in the negro leagues, so (and not trying to offend) I’m not sure what all the pearl clutching is about. And we still have the NAACP, not the NAAB or NAAA.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:11 PM

28,617 posts, read 18,647,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Brandon wasn't speaking just about the league. He first referred to the man by calling him "The Great Negro".

Would you be okay and expect no response from the left if Trump called Obama "The Negro"?
He said, "the great Negro--at the time--pitcher in the Negro Leagues went on to become a great pitcher in the pros..."

You're acting as though he hadn't inserted that "...at the time..." in the sentence.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:30 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,758,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
He said, "the great Negro--at the time--pitcher in the Negro Leagues went on to become a great pitcher in the pros..."

You're acting as though he hadn't inserted that "...at the time..." in the sentence.
Nice gymnastics you have to do there and still it turns out he called him "The Great Negro".

Just ask yourself this. How would CNN, MSNBC and Liberals react of Trump called someone a Negro? That's all you need to know about how this works.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:30 PM

4,478 posts, read 4,009,631 times
Everyone trying to cover for Biden being someone who refers to black people as a negro should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:36 PM

17,489 posts, read 38,955,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Everyone trying to cover for Biden being someone who refers to black people as a negro should be ashamed of themselves.
I have never understood why the word "negro" is offensive - it is literally the Spanish word for the color black. Now of course the "bastardized" version of the word is highly offensive and should never be used.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:40 PM

12,317 posts, read 8,045,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have never understood why the word "negro" is offensive - it is literally the Spanish word for the color black. Now of course the "bastardized" version of the word is highly offensive and should never be used.
In itself it is not, it depends upon the intent of the user. Thus one poster says how bad it is and I don't believe you can support President Biden who used the term while another says how dare you say I shouldn't call Black people Negros in the years after 1975.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:41 PM

4,478 posts, read 4,009,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Why do you think this thread is locked?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...do-enough.html

Old 11-11-2021, 07:50 PM

26,930 posts, read 15,147,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Careful now. My grandmother stayed with colored until her death while her kids went through Negro, Afro American, Black and African American
Was she a 59 year experienced politician?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies