Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2021, 11:52 AM

13,458 posts, read 4,292,364 times

Advertisements

the OP wifi must be slow or he had to wait a long line at Starbucks for his latte. The world is ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 11:53 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
53 million people are expected to travel during Thanksgiving - up 80% from a year. Ago. 50 million plan road trips in spite of high gas prices. Economists are expecting the most holiday spending ever. We've got toilet paper! Please stop with the doom and gloom. By every measure except fake news fueled perception this is a strong economy and a rapidly recovering nation.
so even when left-leaning media points out inflation, it's fake news?

Old 11-13-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Do you, or do you not, understand that this rate of return far underperforms the S&P 500?

hell yeah I do - it's why I say we should allow folks to opt out. Right now, SS accrues at < 2% annually. For decades.

You don't even have to get S&P returns to double your money every 8 years

Old 11-13-2021, 11:55 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
OMW that is rich. Aren't you the poster who is constantly cheering on illegal immigration? A direct violation of American laws, and a known cause for hurting middle/low income Americans? How patriotic do you actually consider yourself to be when you not only turn a blind eye to the effects illegal immigration cause for American citizens but actually champion it?
Bravo, nothing but the truth about that poster! Glad I'm not the only one calling attention to his anti-America stances while he has the nerve to preach to us about wanting to stop this madness and to return to the rule of law and the best interests of this country and its citizens? How does that not represent American ideals? You'd either have to be blind, deaf or in a coma not to admit that what is going on in this country today does not represent American ideals and in fact will destroy them.

Last edited by Oldglory; 11-13-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-13-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And your point is? I have no control over it one way or another. I did my duty by paying into SS for over 50 years. Are you suggesting that those of us who live longer than others start refusing their SS? I think you just like go argue and play both sides of the aisle and that is why I rarely reply to you.
you said it's "your money". "Your money", at the rate the Gov't "invested it" will run out long before you die.

How old are you? I'm 55 and knew by age 23 that I couldn't "retire" on SS.

And I've said I am all for the "safety net" - be that "you" or any wage-earner/laborer of modest income who either worked somewhere without a retirement savings plan or pension.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
53 million people are expected to travel during Thanksgiving - up 80% from a year. Ago. 50 million plan road trips in spite of high gas prices. Economists are expecting the most holiday spending ever. We've got toilet paper! Please stop with the doom and gloom. By every measure except fake news fueled perception this is a strong economy and a rapidly recovering nation.
I'm waiting patiently for Joe's updated "here's how much your holiday meal will cost", ala his 17 cent savings for 4th of July.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:04 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
you said it's "your money". "Your money", at the rate the Gov't "invested it" will run out long before you die.

How old are you? I'm 55 and knew by age 23 that I couldn't "retire" on SS.

And I've said I am all for the "safety net" - be that "you" or any wage-earner/laborer of modest income who either worked somewhere without a retirement savings plan or pension.
FYI, not that it's any of your business but I have two 401-ks and other substantial incomes such as a pension but I'm not suppose to collect on the SS that I paid into for over 50 years? Because of my income I have to pay taxes on my SS also. If you don't like the system then seek change to it but don't attack others for following the system in place! Now go away, you're annoying as hell as you like playing both sides all the time.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:14 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I'm waiting patiently for Joe's updated "here's how much your holiday meal will cost", ala his 17 cent savings for 4th of July.
I saw 6% more than last year. Big deal. If that is too much then one can go to St. Vinnies. They serve it and no dishes to do.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:19 PM

362 posts, read 143,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Eventually we will begin to rebuild this nation and be more cogniscent of the CRAP we elect to office and the garbage we allow to run these private sector companies. This country has been going down the toilet since the 80s? You cant let things go to hell for decades, let a small portion of the elitists to operate with a blank check forever without expecting to pay the price in the end

Cognizant ?

Old 11-13-2021, 12:21 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
OMW that is rich. Aren't you the poster who is constantly cheering on illegal immigration? A direct violation of American laws, and a known cause for hurting middle/low income Americans? How patriotic do you actually consider yourself to be when you not only turn a blind eye to the effects illegal immigration cause for American citizens but actually champion it?
Bah! We have 10 million open jobs and 8 million potential applicants. Illegals aren't taking anyone's job from them. To a large extent our immigration system is the free market at work. It does a pretty good job of matching workers to needs. While, like most, I would prefer a more ordered system, it would likely not do as well in that regard with the government determining who to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies