Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:12 PM

177 posts, read 543,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
So there it is. The ONLY reason you care if the state govt recognizes your marriage is to get the perks that traditional marriages get.

Its not about acceptance its about good old money. Glad thats straightened out.
if that is the only reason... why is that bad? the government isn't supposed to discriminate anyway...

also, i recall reading that married couples actually pay more in taxes...

i think it varies by income levels though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
They are key issues.

The 2nd Amendment preserves us, somewhat, from tyranny. The world could become a cess-pool unable to support life before I think humanity should wholly suffer tyranny. "Give me liberty or give me death" ring a bell? It's just a little American.

On the topic of gays, yes it's also a key issue. I don't care what homosexuals do in private and I could really care less if they have powers of attorney and whatever they're looking for. However, the tax advantage of marriage is to help produce what every nation needs: more people. Why homosexuals think they're entitled to that is beyond me.

Further, HIV/AIDS funding from the government. For better or worse, gays contract that stuff at a rate much faster than heteros. When public tax dollars are supposed to be ripped-off to pay to save some from their lifestyle choice is a slap in the face. Regrettably, that segment of the population is always teamed with people who think the government should be used to finance the lifestyles of others. For that reason alone, any effort to make homosexuality acceptable should be fought.
Every nation needs more people??? Do you honestly think this planet can accommodate trillions of humans?

By your reasoning, we need to revoke the marriage status of all hetero couples who cannot/will not have children. And as a father of two with my partner, why should I not get the tax advantages of marriage? We already get some advantages just by claiming them on our taxes. The other rights given by the status of marriage would simply make life more stable for us and our children.

We don't have AIDS either.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Since I'm sure it'll be used again in this thread and others, would someone please explain to me what the "homosexual lifestyle" is, and how it differs from other lifestyles?
My "homosexual lifestyle" is like this: Live in a 3 bdr. house with my partner and 2 sons, drag my butt to work every day, clean house, mow the lawn, feed children, cook meals, take kids to doctor appointments, bathe children, change diapers, clean bottles... I dare you to find just one hetero living a lifestyle like mine!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:21 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
Excuse me, but what am I missing out on?! Married couples do NOT get a tax break!!!!! My husband and I get less of a tax break now that we are married. I would like to know exactly what financial "perks" you are talking about!
MFJ gets a higher exemption than S or MFS. Two people as S get less of a tax break combined than MFJ, among other things. If you analyze the tax tables the incremental change is different...rather complex. Trust me, there are tax breaks...may not seem to you if affected by other stuff.

I'll stop now since this is not a tax thread...

Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
Excuse me, but what am I missing out on?! Married couples do NOT get a tax break!!!!! My husband and I get less of a tax break now that we are married. I would like to know exactly what financial "perks" you are talking about!
If your husband dies before you, you can get his social security, retirement, and inherit everything he owns tax free. If my partner dies, even with our wills, I get taxed to death on every penny and risk losing our house.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:24 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
if that is the only reason... why is that bad? the government isn't supposed to discriminate anyway...

also, i recall reading that married couples actually pay more in taxes...

i think it varies by income levels though.
Its bad because tax breaks are given to certain individuals based on reality.
You get deductions based on REAL expenditures. You get taxed based on REAL income & the Marriage bennies are based on REAL increases in the cost of living experienced by married couples that have kids. Since penalizing married hetero couples that cant have kids would be wrong, like throwing salt on a wound, its stupid & defeatist to treat same sex marriages like anything more than what they are.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My "homosexual lifestyle" is like this: Live in a 3 bdr. house with my partner and 2 sons, drag my butt to work every day, clean house, mow the lawn, feed children, cook meals, take kids to doctor appointments, bathe children, change diapers, clean bottles... I dare you to find just one hetero living a lifestyle like mine!
How absurd that you think hetero couples dont live hard lifestyles because of family commitments. How do you think you got here?
One clue I have to offer is it wasnt as a result of a same sex marriage.

Wether or not a hetero couple HAS kids the only reason for the perks is because THEY CAN. Adoption is irrelevant. If you cant afford to raise kids without the perks you shouldn't be permitted to adopt.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 PM

177 posts, read 543,806 times
Quote:
You get deductions based on REAL expenditures. You get taxed based on REAL income & the Marriage bennies are based on REAL increases in the cost of living experienced by married couples that have kids. Since penalizing married hetero couples that cant have kids would be wrong, like throwing salt on a wound, its stupid & defeatist to treat same sex marriages like anything more than what they are.
So if a gay couple adopts kids, they shouldn't get child credits?

I'm not straw manning here, this is just an additional question

Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
LOL two income gay married couples with kids current pay lower taxes because the feds won't recognize the marriage.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
How absurd that you think hetero couples dont live hard lifestyles because of family commitments. How do you think you got here?
One clue I have to offer is it wasnt as a result of a same sex marriage.

Wether or not a hetero couple HAS kids the only reason for the perks is because THEY CAN. Adoption is irrelevant. If you cant afford to raise kids without the perks you shouldn't be permitted to adopt.
Then let's level the playing field. If heteros can't afford kids without doing it on the taxpayers' back, they they shouldn't have kids either. If gay couples can't get the perks, then neither should heteros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies