Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
They are key issues.

The 2nd Amendment preserves us, somewhat, from tyranny. The world could become a cess-pool unable to support life before I think humanity should wholly suffer tyranny. "Give me liberty or give me death" ring a bell? It's just a little American.

On the topic of gays, yes it's also a key issue. I don't care what homosexuals do in private and I could really care less if they have powers of attorney and whatever they're looking for. However, the tax advantage of marriage is to help produce what every nation needs: more people. Why homosexuals think they're entitled to that is beyond me.

Further, HIV/AIDS funding from the government. For better or worse, gays contract that stuff at a rate much faster than heteros. When public tax dollars are supposed to be ripped-off to pay to save some from their lifestyle choice is a slap in the face. Regrettably, that segment of the population is always teamed with people who think the government should be used to finance the lifestyles of others. For that reason alone, any effort to make homosexuality acceptable should be fought.
wonderful so the world needs more people? because more people would require more taxes and you don't seem to like that assumption.

As for your AIDS arguement Africa has the highest rate of infection and they seem to be full of heteros.

Do you know any Gay people? Because if you did you would know the vast majority are wealthy for the most part. Ever heard of DINKs? ( Dual Income No Kids) equates to partners who have incomes, pay taxes and their health insurance.

Regrettably, that segment of the population is always teamed with people who think the government should be used to finance the lifestyles of others. For that reason alone, any effort to make homosexuality acceptable should be fought.

Hitler would agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
When you look at the posts regarding guns (2991) and gays (2606) on the first page of the Politics and Other Controversies first page, the sheer number outweighs all other topics combined. Are these the two top issues that should be leading the list, or are there other controversies that merit discussion.

I have thoughts on the subjects, but for me, these are not pressing number one kind of issues. Are these the key issues of our day in your opinion?
No, not really. I am not worried about my guns or the rights to use them going away anytime soon and while I do not support the homosexual lifestyle, it is of no concern to me what other consenting adults do with their lives.

I suspect that part of the reason for the things you pointed out is that when you discuss issues that can be argued with more analytical, statistical, and detailed data, that most folks eyes glaze over, offering up that blank stare. Much like watching some of our posters get intimately detailed and nuanced about the intricacies of global finance, my eyes glaze over as I don't even pretend to understand how it is all related.

However the two issues you outlined (and others like them) are both more social in nature and thus have long held belief structures associated with them as well as invoke strong emotional responses because of it. People, and especially Americans absolutely live to "feel" a topic as opposed to topics that require responses more critically or analytical in nature.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,561 times
Quote:
When you look at the posts regarding guns (2991) and gays (2606) on the first page of the Politics and Other Controversies first page, the sheer number outweighs all other topics combined. Are these the two top issues that should be leading the list, or are there other controversies that merit discussion.

I have thoughts on the subjects, but for me, these are not pressing number one kind of issues. Are these the key issues of our day in your opinion?
No, not at all. But I think that these are issues that are very personal to many people, they are gut reaction topics.
Those that support gay rights are usually very emotional regarding their support because most of the time it is something that effects them or their loved ones personally. Those that are opposed to gay rights feel very secure in their position because they find it rooted in the Bible and this stirs up a lot of passion.
The guns thing I find a little more confusing because while I do agree with the individuals right to bear arms, I don't see this right being threatened (unless you live in Washington DC, and I agree, that law needs to be changed). You can own a gun as long as you can prove that you are not a criminal or crazy and as long as that gun is not an AK-47, this seems pretty fair, so I'm not sure why there is such passion on the pro-gun side.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:02 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:

What is interesting to me is,a LOT of those who support restricting the right to self defense, support giving the 'right' to marry to gays...

On one hand restricting others rights is okay because it seems they don't care that much about it or it doesn't affect them too much but for some reason gay people being unable to have a legal right to marry is an outrage.

Perhaps people might simply stop supporting govenrment interference in our lives and then theses issues would be resolved?

It is not the governments business to sanction marriage.

It is also not the governments business to decide what firearms we can own.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Since I'm sure it'll be used again in this thread and others, would someone please explain to me what the "homosexual lifestyle" is, and how it differs from other lifestyles?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Since I'm sure it'll be used again in this thread and others, would someone please explain to me what the "homosexual lifestyle" is, and how it differs from other lifestyles?
Well, it normally doesn't have anyone of the opposite sex involved...and in the case of male homosexuality, involves the use of holes meant for output not input...

Old 05-18-2008, 10:48 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well, it normally doesn't have anyone of the opposite sex involved...and in the case of male homosexuality, involves the use of holes meant for output not input...
In case youve been living in a bubble here's a bulletin, the behavior you're speaking of has good, bad, or indifferent, historically not been limted to homosexuals.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:36 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In case youve been living in a bubble here's a bulletin, the behavior you're speaking of has good, bad, or indifferent, historically not been limted to homosexuals.
I thought as much, so, with that in mind, I have to wonder about the existence of this "homosexual lifestyle" that is so often cited.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Guns and gays are important. I think that gays should have the right to carry arms just like any other American has. And then when the redneck gay bashers show up, the gays should feel free to use their guns to defend themselves as any other American does. Gays had better wake up the the fact that gay bashing and attacks on gays are only going to get worse as the election gets closer and the rednecks see that they are going to lose. There will be more Matthew Sheppards and more Eric Randolph Rudolphs around. So the gays need to reconsider having guns.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
They are key issues.

The 2nd Amendment preserves us, somewhat, from tyranny. The world could become a cess-pool unable to support life before I think humanity should wholly suffer tyranny. "Give me liberty or give me death" ring a bell? It's just a little American.

On the topic of gays, yes it's also a key issue. I don't care what homosexuals do in private and I could really care less if they have powers of attorney and whatever they're looking for. However, the tax advantage of marriage is to help produce what every nation needs: more people. Why homosexuals think they're entitled to that is beyond me.

Further, HIV/AIDS funding from the government. For better or worse, gays contract that stuff at a rate much faster than heteros. When public tax dollars are supposed to be ripped-off to pay to save some from their lifestyle choice is a slap in the face. Regrettably, that segment of the population is always teamed with people who think the government should be used to finance the lifestyles of others. For that reason alone, any effort to make homosexuality acceptable should be fought.
Homosexuality is NORMAL to homosexuals. It may not seem to you and me but to them, it is perfectly normal. Nobody knows what causes homosexuality- whether it is genetic or psychological but the evidence is that the homosexual did not "choose" to be gay anymore than me or you choose to be regular. We need more research into the causes of homosexuality and possible ways to prevent it in the future or even change it for existing homosexuals. But until then it is the right, correct and CHRISTIAN thing to accept homosexuality and to embrace the gay community. This includes giving them full legal rights and full legal protections. As Americans they deserve no less.
I am not 100% in tune with the idea of gay marriages myself but I am so sick of the gay bashing I hear all the time from small minded bigots and Republicans that I am inclined to accept gay marriages as a way to move past gay bashing and on to more important things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies