Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,634 times

Advertisements

Since my other title didn't generate much interest, maybe this one will.

Can somebody please explain the logic of this situation?
  • Americans are too stupid to buy products (food, toothpaste, medicines, etc.) without proper labeling.
  • Americans are not too stupid to engage in the act of voting for politicians who have the power to decide on war, peace and everything in between the two.

Last edited by StoneOne; 05-19-2008 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: question mark added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM

409 posts, read 1,506,004 times
Are you asking a question?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Are you asking a question?
Yes. Question mark added above.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Welcome to life.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:44 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

• Americans are too stupid to buy products (food, toothpaste, medicines, etc.) without proper labeling.
  • Americans are not too stupid to engage in the act of voting for politicians who have the power to decide on war, peace and everything in between the two.
I think a better statement would have been that those regulations are a sham.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Not being able to find out the actual contents of a tube of toothpaste without an ingredient list available is not stupid nor is it lazy. It is being deliberately uninformed by the maker’s trade secret. Product labeling has been a major victory for the consumer that wants to know what they are consuming.

Voting is another matter because politicians do not have a Truth in Advertizing requirement. Voters have to do their own investigation or rely on a biased press. I have met the Democratic candidates and have made my decision. I have not met any Republican candidates but I consider them worthless on a good day and usually inimical to the country’s well being.

“You cannot trust Republicans with Your Money”, Greg W.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Giving people the information to make their own informed decisions isn't wrong stupid. The government making those decisions for us is where the problem starts.

As far as people voting, all US citizens (not stripped of their rights due to being convicted felons) have the right to vote. If they choose not to exercise those rights, that's their choice. My problem is with those people making uninformed decisions, so sometimes it's probably better for them not to vote at all, rather than to vote based on a 30 second TV ad, some pressure group's opinion, or what the person looks like or their sex/race (ie...Obama or Hillary). Either get informed and make your own choices, or sit home and let those of us who do think for ourselves elect our officials.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,338,145 times
The logic is simple.

You are free to do well and be happy.

You are free to fail and be miserable.

Define for yourself the goals you want to reach. Reach them. Enjoy.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Ideal - You are free to trust business to provide safe products at a free market price.

Fact - do not expect this to happen without close product safety and anti-monopoly regulation by an honest government.

Reality - the corporate interests that own the politicians control the government. Do not expect very much protection from these people. They are too busy protecting their masters.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 AM

196 posts, read 208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

I wouldnt whine about toothpaste, it will probably cost as much as gas soon, thanks to the STUPID Americans who voted and reelected the poof donkey thats in there now...

p.s. do you really think we are getting full strength gasoline either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies