Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 08:56 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
You asked how the poor are exploited and I gave you a solid answer. Obviously they do not want to be homeless and that is why they are allowing themselves to be exploited.
False. Exploited? The tenants are getting a service at its fair market value. That's a straight free market exchange.

Exploitation is the government forcibly taking my money, pissing it away, and giving me back nothing of value in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 08:58 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Exploited? The tenants are getting a service at its fair market value.
But it is not fair market value because there is no real competition and it isn’t based at all on cost.

If you are thirsty and water costs $1000 and there is no other water in your neighborhood then the person who is selling you the water is exploiting you, no matter that that is the fair market value. It’s exploitation by definition.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
But it is not fair market value because there is no real competition and it isn’t based at all on cost.

If you are thirsty and water costs $1000 and there is no other water in your neighborhood then the person who is selling you the water is exploiting you, no matter that that is the fair market value. It’s exploitation by definition.
Fair market value is NEVER based on cost. That's why it's called fair market value, not fair cost-plus value.

If you get paid far in excess of what you need to live on, are you exploiting your employer? No, it means the fair market value of your skills is far greater than what you need to live on.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Fair market value is NEVER based on cost. That's why it's called fair market value, not fair cost-plus value.
So In your world there is no such thing as exploitation? Everything is fair market value. Ok

Old 11-16-2021, 09:01 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
They are not hung up. Who is posting here?
In my decades of experience working in impoverished neighborhoods, thousands and thousands of families, poor are just thinking about getting by and keeping safe. They want to figure out how to get out of poverty. How to access benefits that will help their families.
How have you reached your conclusion exactly?
I've watched the poor for more than 30 years. The poor are their own worst enemy. They want to figure out how to get out of poverty? lol develop a skill that's marketable and go to work, they've been told that for 50 years, it ain't rocket science...quit making excuses for generational poverty. You sound like a kid.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
So In your world there is no such thing as exploitation? Everything is fair market value. Ok
I told you. Taxes are exploitation.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I've watched the poor for more than 30 years. The poor are their own worst enemy. They want to figure out how to get out of poverty? lol develop a skill that's marketable and go to work, they've been told that for 50 years, it ain't rocket science...quit making excuses for generational poverty. You sound like a kid.
My experience is different. Especially with immigrant communities.
Thanks for the compliment about being a kid. I’ll take that one. I strive to stay young in my thinking.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:07 AM

1,866 posts, read 933,848 times
I know a kid from Nigeria who's making $30,000 a month via SEO marketing and E-advertising. He's self-taught, came from a poor family, but once he got his first computer he spent as much time as possible learning various ways to make money.

If the poor wish to increase their income, they can simply use the internet to do so. It's there for anyone to use, if they so wish. The internet has created tens of thousands of new millionaires. It's the best wealth making opportunity in human history. You don't need a college degree or a diploma, you don't need to be a genius.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
I know a kid from Nigeria who's making $30,000 a month via SEO marketing and E-advertising. He's self-taught, came from a poor family, but once he got his first computer he spent as much time as possible learning various ways to make money.

If the poor wish to increase their income, they can simply use the internet to do so. It's there for anyone to use, if they so wish. The internet has created tens of thousands of new millionaires. It's the best wealth making opportunity in human history. You don't need a college degree or a diploma, you don't need to be a genius.
FYI. The internet costs money to bring it in to your home.
Yes you can use the library.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:25 AM

43,090 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:

You go ahead and stay and pay $1K. Me...I'm moving.

See..CHOICE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies