Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2021, 03:22 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You all spew so much misinformation. I was just listening to NPR on the way to the store, and they were saying no such things as what is being suggested.

They actually said that, like all other viruses, it will burn itself out in a couple/few seasons. The question was "are masks the new norm", and they said "probably not for most people". I don't hold NPR as the expert on anything, but you guys spewing all this balogna about leftist power grabs. It's all based on a false premise.

When the pandemic was brand new, not much was known, and cautions were taken. Continually, those cautions are being removed. Slowly, but they are going away.

It seems the reason the CDC is backing off of Herd Immunity is not because it was not a good idea, but they realized that it was never realistic to think that 70+% of the population would believe science, especially when their leaders were telling them it was fake. That is sadly reasonable.

Since the start of the pandemic, I've been a little more careful, especially in 2020, but have not NOT done anything I wanted to, except for travel. And that was because I wasn't going to go on a huge trip, only to have things closed off. It turns out I was wrong. Several of my friends went to Italy and Greece, and said things were open, and lines were short. I made the mistake of listening to the Right-Wing Propaganda that the world was closed down. It (almost) never was. USA closed down for a few months at the beginning, and things have been open since.

Add your beliefs to the pile of other covid myths.
we're at 80% one dose of the population > 12. We're at 70% of adults fully-vaxxed. Those < 17 are under-represented in Covid cases - meaning either they don't get it as easily, or it's mild enough they never even think to test. These are cold, hard stats, not myths.

If you wanted to have a wedding, you could not. If you wanted to go to the theater - movie or drama - you could not. If you want to fly on a plane, the requirements to wear a mask for hours on end, when neither the airport nor the airplane have shown to be virus hangouts, are draconian and unnecessary.

If you have a child, who's trying to go to school and receive an education and "be a normal kid", you've not seen normal for almost 2 full years of school.

If you want to go to a restaurant, you have to wear a mask for approximately 3% of your time there. Somehow that is the magic number whereby Covid doesn't spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 03:32 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I don't know who your 'we' is, but those in medicine bat their eyes every fall when it comes to Influenza. In my practice with mostly seniors we were very good about vaccinating everyone. And as a result I can count on fingers how many we lost to Influenza over the years.

I think 100 deaths/day is attainable. We are getting new treatments for early cases, and with those we might make some better headway.
"we" is as a country, and as individuals. When you say "vaccinating everyone" - was that above 86.1%?

We (the US) haven't had 1 "average" day of less than 100 deaths since March 23, 2020. The lowest we've gotten since is ~250 deaths, right before Delta.

BTW, if memory serves - are you the one who keeps saying that quality "recovered immunity" tests are coming out "soon" and have been for months?

Old 11-15-2021, 03:45 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
"we" is as a country, and as individuals. When you say "vaccinating everyone" - was that above 86.1%?

We (the US) haven't had 1 "average" day of less than 100 deaths since March 23, 2020. The lowest we've gotten since is ~250 deaths, right before Delta.

BTW, if memory serves - are you the one who keeps saying that quality "recovered immunity" tests are coming out "soon" and have been for months?
I never recorded numbers on vaccines. But easily most of the seniors, and close to all with serious medical problems were vaccinated.

Old 11-15-2021, 04:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I never recorded numbers on vaccines. But easily most of the seniors, and close to all with serious medical problems were vaccinated.

Site me where we Seniors are 100% vaccinated. I haven't gotten ONE vaccination,let alone 2, or 3 boosters. When my 72 year old husband had COVID before vaccinations, I did not catch it from him. If his circle of friends did not test positive, he never would have known he had it. BUT ELDERLY will be hospitalized and DIE without vaccinations PLURAL. I call this BS.

Make Me, Doctor. My Advanced Directive states do not put me in a Hospital for ANYTHING. You are all a bunch of arrogants B's.

Old 11-15-2021, 04:16 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
After reading that article, there are a few major takeaways.

First: It's astounding how ignorant many Americans are about science. Science is a process of learning, not a set of answers. From the article (bold added by me for emphasis).

Herd immunity was never as simple as many Americans made it out to be, said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on the challenges of communicating science to increasingly skeptical — and often conspiracy-minded — citizens.

Second: Herd immunity assumes lasting protection, which means booster shots. See the quote above. With as many people who listen to conspiracy over science, getting people to take boosters is simply not going to happen.

So, I agree herd immunity is not realistic in the US, but unfortunately that's primarily due to the conspiracy minded citizens refusing to get vaccinated (per the article we're STILL only at 58% vaccinated), and on top of that, refusing to listen to science as it discovers new information and get boosters.
There is so much we have been told by authorities that has not science, not real science and that has created quite a proplem in itself.

Old 11-15-2021, 04:21 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post

The vast majority of covid+ people didn't even know they had covid until they got tested.

CDC estimates the real number of people who got covid is actually triple the official count. E.g. it didn't even cause enough discomfort to warrant bothering to get tested.

And most importantly 90% of the population never got covid in the first place if we go by the official count, and 60% if we go by the CDC estimated count.

This pandemic is over. The only pandemic we have is one of power-hungry politicians.
Yep. They want perpetual control over everyone.

Now the winter months are coming we'll have another new variant and whole nother excuse for locking down people. At least in far left states such as CA and NY

Old 11-15-2021, 04:21 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Site me where we Seniors are 100% vaccinated. I haven't gotten ONE vaccination,let alone 2, or 3 boosters. When my 72 year old husband had COVID before vaccinations, I did not catch it from him. If his circle of friends did not test positive, he never would have known he had it. BUT ELDERLY will be hospitalized and DIE without vaccinations PLURAL. I call this BS.

Make Me, Doctor. My Advanced Directive states do not put me in a Hospital for ANYTHING. You are all a bunch of arrogants B's.
In my career Influenza vaccinations were never a political issue.
Actually it would have been Nurse Ratchet...lol

Old 11-15-2021, 06:23 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,325,755 times
so now let's just say, the US has 100% vaccination rate...... ok great..

now whats the plan? More masks? more lockdowns? more boosters with showing papers and loss of freedoms?

This never ends until people stop complying

Old 11-15-2021, 07:41 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
There is so much we have been told by authorities that has not science, not real science and that has created quite a proplem in itself.
It's all been "political science".

Old 11-16-2021, 07:18 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
A simple google/bing search will show you what I'm talking about. Here's one:
The Myth of ‘Long COVID’ - The American Spectator | USA News and Politics

There was a thread about this very topic a few days ago
There are also a lot of links that you can check to see how biased YOUR news source is. I checked a few, and they were all in alignment, here is one:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/american-spectator/

Just because someone reads it on the internet doesn't make it automatically true. I suspect (?), like most things, there is some truth to what you say, and some bias and agenda. Get a diversity of ideas and you can make better sense of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies