Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2021, 01:07 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post

The vast majority of covid+ people didn't even know they had covid until they got tested.

CDC estimates the real number of people who got covid is actually triple the official count. E.g. it didn't even cause enough discomfort to warrant bothering to get tested.

And most importantly 90% of the population never got covid in the first place if we go by the official count, and 60% if we go by the CDC estimated count.

This pandemic is over. The only pandemic we have is one of power-hungry politicians.
Actually, the CDC estimates the "symptomatic" Covid infections at ~84% of total estimated infections

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

Now, I'd happen to agree that "most", not the "vast majority" didn't know.

But yes, it is true that even with their little-publicized tripling of estimated infections, that still most people have not had Covid. Despite surely every single one of us (that didn't lock themselves up) being exposed to Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 01:16 PM

1,925 posts, read 557,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

And we're never going to get to 75% to 85%. So he's not wrong.
Even 75% to 80% wouldn't achieve it. Might try reading the link. Also, "humans are not a herd".
Quote:

Kinda blows your mind, doesn't it? Did this many people flunk or sleep through fifth grade science class?
Maybe, or maybe people have been convinced that science always knows what it's talking about, and we should comply. Sound familiar?
Quote:

The medical advances we have surrounding viruses all came about because humans played with viruses. Do you think these things just pop out of thin air?
This is the first time we have tried to find a solution to a virus we created.
Quote:

See above re: sleeping through fifth grade science class.
See above re: reading the link.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:23 PM

1,925 posts, read 557,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You all spew so much misinformation. I was just listening to NPR on the way to the store, and they were saying no such things as what is being suggested.

They actually said that, like all other viruses, it will burn itself out in a couple/few seasons. The question was "are masks the new norm", and they said "probably not for most people". I don't hold NPR as the expert on anything, but you guys spewing all this balogna about leftist power grabs. It's all based on a false premise.

When the pandemic was brand new, not much was known, and cautions were taken. Continually, those cautions are being removed. Slowly, but they are going away.

It seems the reason the CDC is backing off of Herd Immunity is not because it was not a good idea, but they realized that it was never realistic to think that 70+% of the population would believe science, especially when their leaders were telling them it was fake. That is sadly reasonable.
The reason the CDC is backing off herd immunity is in the link.
Quote:

Since the start of the pandemic, I've been a little more careful, especially in 2020, but have not NOT done anything I wanted to, except for travel. And that was because I wasn't going to go on a huge trip, only to have things closed off. It turns out I was wrong. Several of my friends went to Italy and Greece, and said things were open, and lines were short. I made the mistake of listening to the Right-Wing Propaganda that the world was closed down. It (almost) never was. USA closed down for a few months at the beginning, and things have been open since.

Add your beliefs to the pile of other covid myths.
The 'right wing' doesn't control MSM, likely where you received your information.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
In the article they admit that this news will likely cause many people to question the need to get vaccinated. That's huge.

What's this mandate thingy all about?
they've never communicated what they should. And now finally every one of them (sans a little white-haired 80 yr old) admit they've screwed the comms, permanently.

It's time to provide real info, make a huge adjustment, and move on.

Real info: Covid is too high of a risk for the aged and immune-compromised. You all should be especially vigilant about your health.

*If you have had Covid, then you should be tested for "antibodies" to see if your body is prepared to fight off another infection, and thus your ability to spread it.

*If you're > 85, you've got a 25% chance of Covid killing you, or causing other problems such that you die prematurely. See above about prior infection, but it's probably best to still get vaccinated, and get your booster. We know the "vaccines" work, at least temporarily. And if the stats tell us you need another one in 6 months, take it.

*If you're 75-84, you've got a 12% of Covid killing you. See above.

*If you're 65-74, you've got a 5% chance of Covid killing you. See above.

*If you're 50-64 and have developed health issues, especially diabetes and morbid obesity, see above. For everyone else, know the overall death rate is 1.5% and consider choosing to social distancing and mask-wearing in large indoor crowds.

*If you're between 18-49, consider your own health circumstances. If you are generally healthy, without diabetes or morbid obesity, your chances are not greater than 0.2% of death if you haven't been infected yet. See above for 50-64. 18-29 year olds - understand your social life and your disregard for any social distancing makes you more susceptible to infection, but you only have a 1 in 2000 chance of dying.

*If you or your child is under 18, and has no history of health issues, particularly cancer, then your risk is very small - 2 in 10,000 - but as with life, it exists. You may choose whether to vaccinate and any other protective measures.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Ah... And now it begins. Much like "the vaccine was never designed to stop you from getting infected" chant that everyone made up, now the CDC never said anything about herd immunity. In fact, that phrase doesn't exist! What does "herd" even mean?

Ok now we can carry on.
Little Lord Fauci sure as hell spoke of herd immunity. https://www.axios.com/fauci-goalpost...c03d9a220.html

Now, he's not the CDC.

but this is

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/5/20-4365_article

Herd Immunity against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Infection

Old 11-15-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
After reading that article, there are a few major takeaways.

First: It's astounding how ignorant many Americans are about science. Science is a process of learning, not a set of answers. From the article (bold added by me for emphasis).

Herd immunity was never as simple as many Americans made it out to be, said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on the challenges of communicating science to increasingly skeptical — and often conspiracy-minded — citizens.

Second: Herd immunity assumes lasting protection, which means booster shots. See the quote above. With as many people who listen to conspiracy over science, getting people to take boosters is simply not going to happen.

So, I agree herd immunity is not realistic in the US, but unfortunately that's primarily due to the conspiracy minded citizens refusing to get vaccinated (per the article we're STILL only at 58% vaccinated), and on top of that, refusing to listen to science as it discovers new information and get boosters.
who makes Jamieson an "expert on the challenges of communicating science"? And note - it's "communicating" ... she's not a scientist at all. She is one of the founders of FactCheck.org though.

None of her books deal with science. Her best known one is probably this one:

Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President

do you think maybe she has some bias?

Old 11-15-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It has been a long time since anyone felt the Pandemic would be brief and done and end. Most feel it will enter an endemic phase much like Influenza. IMO the realistic goal is to try and lower hospitalization and deaths numbers similar to Influenza. A disease where the medical systems have learned to accommodate. Roughly 100 deaths/day.

we've never batted an eye at flu deaths though. We never bat an eye that the "flu shot" is about 50% effective.

And, with 19 months of data, the risk of Covid is crystal clear - the aged and immune-compromised.

We were at 75% or less ICU capacity, and 1/3 Covid to other ICU usage, from mid-Feb to early-August. We never exceeded ~75% hospital usage. That's a nice long, 6 month period.

In mid-Feb, cases were 100K/day, and they went back to 100K in August. During that time, we're talking daily deaths of ~1,800/day on the way down, then 1,800/day on the way up. We bottomed out at ~300 deaths daily.

So no, Covid will never be "similar to influenza" unless we take measures for the old and the immune-compromised. Who, by all accounts, make up around 80% of deaths.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:11 PM

8,408 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Not really. If they find out something is more dangerous and take it off the market or advise against using, that’s a win too. Knowledge is always good when it comes to medical advances.
Admitting you made a mistake in your analysis/lab experiments or finding out that the disease has morphed and now has a different protocol should not be shamed.
The actual proof is when the public starts using it and the results are different than predicted.
Sure sometimes it’s corruption - watch dope sick - but sometimes it is learning more - note new protocol on not taking baby aspirin daily.

Our knowledge hasn't really changed much. Our reaction to the knowledge has become more and more draconian with less and less effectiveness. As we find out today's restrictions don't really help, we add more. We should be removing them if they don't work. As opposed to the workers themselves.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:18 PM

8,408 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You all spew so much misinformation. I was just listening to NPR on the way to the store, and they were saying no such things as what is being suggested.

They actually said that, like all other viruses, it will burn itself out in a couple/few seasons. The question was "are masks the new norm", and they said "probably not for most people". I don't hold NPR as the expert on anything, but you guys spewing all this balogna about leftist power grabs. It's all based on a false premise.

When the pandemic was brand new, not much was known, and cautions were taken. Continually, those cautions are being removed. Slowly, but they are going away.

It seems the reason the CDC is backing off of Herd Immunity is not because it was not a good idea, but they realized that it was never realistic to think that 70+% of the population would believe science, especially when their leaders were telling them it was fake. That is sadly reasonable.

Since the start of the pandemic, I've been a little more careful, especially in 2020, but have not NOT done anything I wanted to, except for travel. And that was because I wasn't going to go on a huge trip, only to have things closed off. It turns out I was wrong. Several of my friends went to Italy and Greece, and said things were open, and lines were short. I made the mistake of listening to the Right-Wing Propaganda that the world was closed down. It (almost) never was. USA closed down for a few months at the beginning, and things have been open since.

Add your beliefs to the pile of other covid myths.

A simple google/bing search will show you what I'm talking about. Here's one:
The Myth of ‘Long COVID’ - The American Spectator | USA News and Politics

There was a thread about this very topic a few days ago

Old 11-15-2021, 03:14 PM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
we've never batted an eye at flu deaths though. We never bat an eye that the "flu shot" is about 50% effective.

And, with 19 months of data, the risk of Covid is crystal clear - the aged and immune-compromised.

We were at 75% or less ICU capacity, and 1/3 Covid to other ICU usage, from mid-Feb to early-August. We never exceeded ~75% hospital usage. That's a nice long, 6 month period.

In mid-Feb, cases were 100K/day, and they went back to 100K in August. During that time, we're talking daily deaths of ~1,800/day on the way down, then 1,800/day on the way up. We bottomed out at ~300 deaths daily.

So no, Covid will never be "similar to influenza" unless we take measures for the old and the immune-compromised. Who, by all accounts, make up around 80% of deaths.
I don't know who your 'we' is, but those in medicine bat their eyes every fall when it comes to Influenza. In my practice with mostly seniors we were very good about vaccinating everyone. And as a result I can count on fingers how many we lost to Influenza over the years.

I think 100 deaths/day is attainable. We are getting new treatments for early cases, and with those we might make some better headway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies