Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see America headed towards enclavism ?
Yes, positive trend 13 21.67%
Yes, but negative trend 11 18.33%
No, but would be positive 4 6.67%
No, and good to avoid 32 53.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 07:45 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

It's only natural not to feel comfortable with those different from oneself. As a result, people self-sort. Especially those new to the US (or any country).

My maternal grandparents came from Croatia in 1910, paternal German great-grandparents in 1800's. I remember attending Croatian events as a child in the late '40's, early '50's - but nothing German which, when I think about it now, is interesting. Maternal grandparents spoke Croatian at home, I could even speak it as a child.

Angela Merkel said multiculturalism creates anarchy. She's right, even though she attempted to assimilate Middle East refugees, problems with which only proved her point.

These days in US, as said upthread, it isn't only cultural, it's political - driven by rapid communication and nonadherence to truth. Truth these days is whatever one chooses to believe - irrespective of "facts" - which are considered meaningless if they conflict with one's world view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 08:02 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It's only natural not to feel comfortable with those different from oneself. As a result, people self-sort. Especially those new to the US (or any country).

My maternal grandparents came from Croatia in 1910, paternal German great-grandparents in 1800's. I remember attending Croatian events as a child in the late '40's, early '50's - but nothing German which, when I think about it now, is interesting. Maternal grandparents spoke Croatian at home, I could even speak it as a child.

Angela Merkel said multiculturalism creates anarchy. She's right, even though she attempted to assimilate Middle East refugees, problems with which only proved her point.

These days in US, as said upthread, it isn't only cultural, it's political - driven by rapid communication and nonadherence to truth. Truth these days is whatever one chooses to believe - irrespective of "facts" - which are considered meaningless if they conflict with one's world view.
I tend to not buy into this. I'm Black and I am pretty much used to being around people who are not of the same race/ethnic group as me. It was pretty much something I grew up with.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:24 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Just curoius, how do you guys pronounce enclave?

Buick

https://www.ocalabuickgmc.com/new-ve...oaAusmEALw_wcB

Old 04-06-2022, 09:08 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The left doesn't actually want to achieve "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion". Those are just slogans/talking points they use to accuse people of racism, greed, xenophobia/homophobia/transphobia or whatever is popular this week, to shut them up instead of actually engaging in debate with them.

‘Asymmetrical Multiculturalism’

https://www.theamericanconservative....e-nationalism/

Old 04-07-2022, 05:19 PM

131 posts, read 51,535 times
In some states there's something like a de facto enclavism in certain areas. It's a good idea for Americans to separate into enclaves, if secession/balkanization is too extreme, as the US increasingly goes into decline. It would definitely help alleviate polarization and civil conflict.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:22 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
An enclave of liberals is the state of CA
I think you mean leftists. Actual liberals don’t think that way.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton929 View Post
In some states there's something like a de facto enclavism in certain areas. It's a good idea for Americans to separate into enclaves, if secession/balkanization is too extreme, as the US increasingly goes into decline. It would definitely help alleviate polarization and civil conflict.
I disagree, but people do seem to be self-segregating.

Maybe it’s social media or something, but I put the blame on society as a whole. I don’t know why we get so hot-headed about things that we can’t talk with neighbors about this stuff without getting into a knockdown-dragout, and feel like we have to make a drastic change like moving just to be with people like us.

I feel like living in a place where everyone thinks like you would be boring anyway.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:01 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I disagree, but people do seem to be self-segregating.

Maybe it’s social media or something, but I put the blame on society as a whole. I don’t know why we get so hot-headed about things that we can’t talk with neighbors about this stuff without getting into a knockdown-dragout, and feel like we have to make a drastic change like moving just to be with people like us.

I feel like living in a place where everyone thinks like you would be boring anyway.
Why would that be boring? There would no conflicts and we'd be united for a change.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would that be boring? There would no conflicts and we'd be united for a change.
There’s no spice or flair. I enjoy a spirited, civil discussion on something we disagree on. I feel like it would stunt creativity when you’re not having to negotiate your way around working or living with somebody who’s different or who outright disagrees with you. It’s a mental exercise: hard work but keeps your mind flexed and focused.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:09 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
There’s no spice or flair. I enjoy a spirited, civil discussion on something we disagree on. I feel like it would stunt creativity when you’re not having to negotiate your way around working or living with somebody who’s different or who outright disagrees with you. It’s a mental exercise: hard work but keeps your mind flexed and focused.
I can think of other ways to stimulate the mind besides conflict. Rarely are discussions and disagreements civil anymore. Many on this forum are a good example of it.

I come in here to enjoy the thoughts of like minded people mostly and because of the above I wouldn't want to live among those types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies