Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2021, 05:51 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
40,000 is highly questionable, however, it appears that it is earlier than the common accepted 13,000 from recent evidence. Regardless, no one else was here, and yes, even 13,000 years is long enough. 40,000 years ago? Evidence suggests that the last Neanderthals still existed then.
So no answers to the questions that I asked you above?

Old 11-20-2021, 06:44 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It's very possible there wasn't one wave of Siberians that came to the Americas but several waves possibly over many thousands of years. But it's really a pointless argument. In New Zealand the Maori didn't beat the Whites to those islands by more than a few centuries yet no one disputes that the Maori are the true native New Zealanders.
I just see them as the first settlers, and as the people that wiped out the Moa.

The legal system sees them as the first owners, but that is a different matter.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:55 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It's very possible there wasn't one wave of Siberians that came to the Americas but several waves possibly over many thousands of years. But it's really a pointless argument. In New Zealand the Maori didn't beat the Whites to those islands by more than a few centuries yet no one disputes that the Maori are the true native New Zealanders.
Good point about the Maori. New Zealanders seem to have a more holistic perspective on history than many on this board.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:57 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
40,000 is highly questionable, however, it appears that it is earlier than the common accepted 13,000 from recent evidence. Regardless, no one else was here, and yes, even 13,000 years is long enough. 40,000 years ago? Evidence suggests that the last Neanderthals still existed then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So no answers to the questions that I asked you above?
My response was not to you. I'm not going back pages and pages to respond... show me the post you dearly want an answer to.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:21 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Fact. The First Nations (plural, not singular) people displace no one. The settlers did.
So what? Seriously, so what? And let's be clear, the "First Nations" as you call them were killing and displacing each other constantly. So who really cares who displaced who three hundred, four hundred, even thousands of years ago? What in the heck does that have to do with anything?

Wherever ANY human being is born and raised they have a right to call it home and make it the best they can. I was born here, raised here, and I'll likely die here. If that's not a native person, I don't know what the heck is... Just because some dude got hungry and followed a Mammoth herd across the Bering Straight 13,000 years ago doesn't make his descendants any more native than my kids are. We're all just human in the end.

Actually, most scientists believe we all migrated out of Africa at some point. Doesn't that make every single person on every other part of the planet outside of Africa the descendants of "settlers?"

Old 11-20-2021, 09:06 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
You may have heard of the Trail of Tears, but the First Nations people were depicted as savage, primitive, uncultured. And many to this day on this very forum deflect to that depiction.
Pre-Columbian Native Americans in what is now the United States had no written language, no monetary system, no horses or carriages, no running water or sanitary system, little agriculture or domestication of animals.

Native Americans were certainly more primitive than many other cultures that existed in the world even thousands of years before them.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Good point about the Maori. New Zealanders seem to have a more holistic perspective on history than many on this board.
I'm not so sure I agree - I think the situation has gone from one where people just accepted that Maori/Moriori were the first people, to one where there seems to be an increasing push to reinforce a message that Maori are indigenous, and that to challenge that is racist.

Holistic perspective seems to imply the thought process of the individual, whereas I believe the situation here is becoming one of official narrative, that is the opposite of holistic perspective.

Last edited by Joe90; 11-20-2021 at 10:11 PM..

Old 11-20-2021, 09:49 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
one of the most embarrassing things ever posted in the history of city data.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:49 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Pre-Columbian Native Americans in what is now the United States had no written language, no monetary system, no horses or carriages, no running water or sanitary system, little agriculture or domestication of animals.

Native Americans were certainly more primitive than many other cultures that existed in the world even thousands of years before them.
The Cherokee had a written language.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:01 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
The Cherokee had a written language.
Not precolumbian. Sequoyah didn't write down the language until 1821.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies