Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 11:19 AM

26,286 posts, read 14,891,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Why would I blast something as 'systemic racism' when it is only your assessment stating that?

The fact that I have neither "tacitly" nor specifically stated support for whatever vote - but - instead took issue with only your silly suggestion it would become both endemic world-wide and a reason to refuse any national healthcare system seems totally lost on you.

Also: with all of your bluster about what you think constitutes overt racism, you've done nothing to convince anyone on here you're the least bit anti-racist yourself. Accusing others is a well known ploy to deflect - "look over there; he's got a lawn jockey, he must be a racist."

You are a bigger part of the problem than you are claiming to be for any solution.
That fact that you not only refuse to condemn giving non-whites extra votes and can't even understand how it is systemic racism, means I am 100% correct to oppose more government power, including health care, because when leftists insert their racism into it, you will accept it like most Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 11:41 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,804,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
That is precisely what this vote was trying to correct - visible minorities having their concerns always stuck at the bottom. This particular school district is an extremely white and wealthy one where there has been a very large influx of people from other races. However, those instructors and their students were not having their needs addressed. Remember that the majority who voted on this were majority-white. They must have seen that there was a growing problem and voted accordingly.

Keep your culture wars to yourselves. Canadians school districts don’t want to be included in them.

Also, that majority voted to “partially disenfranchise” themselves. So there must have been reason for it.
Like you, I don't understand why the posters on this thread care so much about what goes on in Canada.

But, as a former Ontarian, please spare me the suggestion that this school district -- or any school district in Ontario, for that matter -- cares so much about equity. Ontario, with it's huge, staggeringly privileged and powerful Roman Catholic School Board supported entirely by tax payer dollars is about equity? LOL.

Given the political, economic, and social hegemony of Roman Catholic schools and school boards throughout Ontario (and elsewhere in Canada), I'd say that plenty of Protestants, Jews, Muslims, and Hindus are "not having their needs addressed." Other than in the wealthiest school districts, like Halton, where my brother lives and my nephews attended school, they are the minorities, regardless of race or color, whose needs are "always stuck at the bottom."

Maybe there should be more "culture wars" in Ontario over that disgraceful inequity that continues to be strongly supported (by Catholics, of course. No big surprise). Other Ontarians have been brainwashed into believing that it's acceptable. I guess that kind of complacency among minorities is what happens when there is state religion.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-21-2021 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-21-2021, 06:03 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,843,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
A very quick check of your posting history shows that you have commented on a number of threads about issues that do not concern Canada. So why does it seem to bother you if we American posters are commenting on a thread that doesn't directly concern our country?
Most of the issues I’ve commented on in this forum are headline news items about issues I’m familiar with on account of their omnipresence in the news. The item being discussed in this thread is a union vote in a district school board that includes a few suburban areas I doubt any of you are familiar with or will ever visit. I never meant to imply that posters here shouldn’t be discussing it. I’m just wondering why they would want to and why they care.

Regardless, I’m an American citizen even if I don’t live in the US. As a citizen whose entire family lives in the US, I do occasionally comment on issues that are important to me on this forum.

Even if I weren’t a citizen of the US, I have to engage with American news and politics everywhere I go on the internet and television because American users dominate most platforms and media. On the other hand, I live and teach in a district close to this one and I knew nothing about the election until I read about it here. It’s so obscure that I couldn’t find any information about it on the Ontario College of Teachers website, and struggled to find anything about it on the teaching websites and forums I’m a part of. The only reason it’s being discussed here is so that certain members can ***** and moan about “woke” culture and so on.

As for the argument that it’s virtue signaling, I’m not sure if that’s true and neither are you. If it’s like most votes of this sort - anonymous - then how would anyone signal their virtue? Who knows how they voted? Either way, as I mentioned above, we don’t know anything about the context in which this occurred, what discussions and disagreements preceded it, and why a vote like this was taken in the first place. It might make more sense if we had more context.

That’s also the reason I can’t say whether I think this vote was one thing or another. I don’t know enough about it to know whether or not I agree or disagree with it. All I know is that the voters voted for this and even if it’s an example of what many here call “virtue signaling,” they made the decision on their own so it’s their business.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:15 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,717,078 times
A Yazidi survivor of kidnap, rape and torture by the Islamic State was cancelled by a Toronto school board superintendent for being "Islamaphobic"
Quote:
A woman who survived being kidnapped by ISIS and plunged into sexual slavery as a teen has been cancelled — by the largest school board in Canada, according to a report.

Nadia Murad, 28, was set to sit down with students from some of the 600 schools that are part of the Toronto District School Board to talk about her upcoming book, “The Last Girl: My Story Of Captivity,” to be published in February 2022.

But school board superintendent Helen Fisher pulled the plug on Murad’s visit, saying she would not let students attend because the book would be offensive to Muslims and “foster Islamophobia,” the Telegraph reported.

Murad advocates for survivors of genocide and sexual violence and is also a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and UN Goodwill Ambassador.
https://nypost.com/2021/11/27/toront...h-nadia-murad/

Old 12-07-2021, 04:44 PM

Apparently, professionals working for the Canadian government suffer through a nightmare of racist abuse. Things are so bad that...
Quote:
An Ontario union has voted overwhelmingly and without debate to allow black employees two extra days of mental health leave to deal with the impact of “anti-black racism.”

A source, who preferred to remain anonymous, says the two extra days is in addition to three days of compassionate leave already afforded to all union members.

AMAPCEO represents 14,000 professionals, technical support workers, analysts, consultants and managers in the Ontario Public Service (OPS).
https://tnc.news/2021/12/06/ontario-...mployees-only/

Old 12-23-2021, 10:37 PM

Ontario teachers need no longer worry about their math skills. A court has ruled that, since black and indigenous teacher candidates fail the math proficiency test at higher rates, the test is unconstitutional.

Quote:
A mandatory math test for those who want to become certified teachers is unconstitutional, an Ontario court has decided.

Ontario introduced the Math Proficiency Test (MPT) as part of a package of provincial strategies to improve student math skills after test scores began to dip. As of last year, the MPT was a requirement for all new teacher candidates who want to teach in publicly-funded schools.
---
The demographic data shows disparities in success rates, the court heard. Candidates who identify as Indigenous and Black have success rates 20 per cent lower than white candidates.

Francophone candidates also had a lower success rate than anglophone test-takers. Of the non-white candidates writing the test in French, 55 per cent were successful compared to 84 per cent of the white candidates writing in French, the court heard. Those whose first language is neither French nor English had an even lower success rate.
All math tests produce racially disparate results. Are all math tests that effect anything important now unconstitutional in Ontario?

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-for-educators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies