Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 08:13 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The losing team should apologize to their school, their fans and the other team for not performing better.
The lesson of losing is far more valuable than the one you receive from winning. Being defeated, beaten and in this case completely humiliated has the effect of making a team or an individual work harder to get better. It motivates practice and hard work. This is how defeat or embarrassment can lead to genuine improvement.

Our snowflake society has just gone too far. Competition is part of life. So is defeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 08:14 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Uhh? Did any of you play HS or collegiate sports? I'm the furthest person from a supporter of 'participation trophies' and the like, however I did play on a state championship varsity HS team, and at the college level (hockey). We frequently faced teams that we would destroy. It was always seen as unsportsmanlike to run up the score. There's a big different in winning, and winning with class. We seem to have forgotten how to be gentlemen.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:15 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The losing team should apologize to their school, their fans and the other team for not performing better.
I have 3 kids, who have all been on winning teams and losing teams.

Sometimes a team is limited by nature. The players could be giving it all that they have got, and still get destroyed, merely because the other team is much better than them on multiple levels.

As long as they give it their all, there is nothing to apologize for. And don't get me wrong, there should be no trophy either.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:19 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
It has always been considered bad sportsmanship to crush another team like this. Heck I remember being told when i was about 10 playing baseball in the last 70's by our coach to take it easy after we were easily beating another team. He simply told us how would we feel?And that was enough for us to leave them some pride and dignity.
You were 10.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:44 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Our snowflake society continues its march towards mediocrity.

These days we simply cannot show any form of domination or supremacy or celebrate it. We have to always consider the feelings of everyone around us.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...052935445.html
A female principal named "Debbie". Why am I not surprised.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
It has always been considered bad sportmanship to do so. The exception is when you have tie breakers or goal differentials like in soccer, there is no reason to run up the score like that in a football game. This has nothing to do with woke, anyone saying otherwise has little to no experience in organized sports.
I guess I would have to watch the game, I coached for many years, I been in situation when I pulled all my best kids and I am telling them the defenders to just clear the ball and dont play it out the backfield, and we are still scoring. I imagine in football you would pull your first stringers and just run the ball and the clock down once you are up 35 points, there are things you can practice without trying to score in every play.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:54 AM

25,746 posts, read 18,809,520 times
I wonder if WWII were fought today if we would apologize to Heinrich Himmler after leveling Germany?

Old 11-20-2021, 08:59 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
The coaches were at fault. Under normal circumstances like this when it becomes obvious they completely dominate their opponents first step is to bench the first string players for lower ranked and younger players. If they also dominate then step down to the 3rd string players. Once the lead is comfortable then play to maintain. Instead, even with a huge lead, the coaches ordered team to go for two points after the touchdown to run up the score adding insult to their humiliation.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:01 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
It has always been considered bad sportsmanship to crush another team like this. Heck I remember being told when i was about 10 playing baseball in the last 70's by our coach to take it easy after we were easily beating another team. He simply told us how would we feel?And that was enough for us to leave them some pride and dignity.
Perhaps they did...Sometimes one team is just better than another.

Although, the fact that the losing team didn't just walk off saying they had enough, says as much if not more about their character than the statement from the Principal says about the winning team. If there was nothing "unsportsmanlike" that the team did in winning, there is nothing they need to apologize for. It would be great if the losing school made a statement saying it was unnecessary for the principal to apologize.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:34 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Our snowflake society continues its march towards mediocrity.

These days we simply cannot show any form of domination or supremacy or celebrate it. We have to always consider the feelings of everyone around us.
You can clearly tell the people on this thread who never played sports at any level beyond parks and rec.

This has nothing to do with the current times. Sportsmanship is a tradition that has existed as long as the given sport itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies