Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 01:58 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My mother once criticized me for making generalities, and she called it intellectual laziness.
It's too easy for people to just categorize one extreme or another with no gray whatsoever in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 02:00 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I understand that businesses want and need to make a profit.

What I don't understand is why government places more value on helping businesses get excessive profits than helping employees and consumers? It's government's job to look out for citizens, not prioritize the wealthiest citizens.
Excessive profits? Jeebus.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:01 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I don't necessarily think it's a matter of getting angry, but if you think of the people who live in those communities, particularly elderly, it may be harder for them to get to a store than people who are more mobile.

It stinks that the stores are getting stolen from, and of course shoplifting isn't acceptable, but it's frustrating to the regular consumers in those areas who certainly aren't stealing when a store gets to the point that they feel the need to close because of the bad actions of some. Also, some neighborhoods get poorer over time and some neighborhoods get wealthier. Some retailers, rather than shift some of their product lines downmarket to basic, quality necessities that would serve a lower income demographic, just simply close down so there are few to no options in some areas. That doesn't only happen in Democratic urban areas that are struggling. That happens in rural, Republican areas that are struggling as well.

Being frustrated with losing businesses isn't as politicized as the OP is making it out to be. It's a very practical, quality of life issue that affects everyone.
In a free market somebody else comes in and fills the void

Old 11-20-2021, 02:04 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
as long as the surrounding communities buy into the "snitches get stitches" meme, then thefts will continue to go up and stores will continue to close.

As the old maxim goes, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
in my town we have so many dollar stores, drug stores..etc the market has got to be over-saturated....some were built and closed within a year...by people looking at spreadsheets IMO....

luckily i live two blocks from a grocery store

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Why do you think all "leftists" think this way?

There are many many "leftists" who understand how business works. Many actually own their own businesses.

But many people do recognize that when businesses leave a given area, it is a sign of a downward spiral. Some just want to save the neighborhood.

You're being too literal. When someone uses terms like "leftist" or "right winger," they obviously don't mean every single person in that category. But I think you know that. It's an interesting deflection technique, though. Obvious, but interesting.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:14 PM

7,329 posts, read 3,514,319 times
Because the brilliant minds of academia have never run a business

Old 11-20-2021, 02:19 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
We should give every 15 year old $1,000 to start a business.

That would be the end of the Democrat party.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:31 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The whole point of a business is to make a profit. Leftists like myself say "it can't be by any means". Righties say "to hell with any morals or what's right i just want to make money". Growing up in New York i watched local businesses dump chemicals into storm drains and streams. They didn't want to pay to have the used motor oil or tranny fluid hauled away. Maximize profits. There has to be a balance or we end up in a bad place.
The rest of your post before the bolded doesn’t indicate that you see any shades/gradations in position, but rather ‘Us vs. Them.’

There are people with more right leaning positions (government should be as small as possible, there should be no minimum wage, etc.) who also would never skirt sn environmental regulation.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Leftists in California are upset because Walgreens is closing stores in San Francisco, purportedly due to theft.

When a Target or a grocery store closes, leftists get angry and claim that it is abandoning the community.

Why do leftists not understand that a business generally seeks to make a profit, and that if it can't make a profit, it can't stay in business? Leftists somehow think that a company can operate a store that isn't profitable, or isn't as profitable as an investment elsewhere could be.

In short, why do leftists think that the goal of a business is to help Democratic voters?
Only reason to close due to theft is the losses are literally out pacing their revenue stream at that location. But before that happens, it will make sense for mgmt to hire security to prevent the theft from getting that bad in the first place. Or they put up other kinds of countermeasures like everything is behind security glass. You can only look and point, and employee picks up item and brings to checkout.

I am sure the real reason they closed is because there is not enough foot traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies