Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 10:11 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,601,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Elon musk’s fear is that AI will take over humanity.
My own mother used to tell me 49 years ago that man will be taken over by machines.
There must be a Twilight Zone story about it out there.

I agree with the Center For Humane Technology

Look at what’s happened to human relationships. They’re hanging on by a thread.
I don’t see AI operating independently and taking over humanity like a bunch of self moving robots, but the first country/company/person to create true generalized AI that can improve itself will most definitely have such a tremendous advantage that they will rule the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 10:13 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
He was a genius but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t crazy. Some brilliant minds have also had a touch of insanity. He applied his intelligence improperly. While he carried out those bombings to try to bring attention to his manifesto, it also made those people dismiss his manifesto as the ravings of a mad man. Crazy doesn’t mean stupid and genius doesn’t mean completely sane.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:17 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
... the root cause ... since the beginning of civilization, & postulates that we always will have them. I agree.

There has always been a tug-o-war ... Neither side will "win"..it just ebbs and flows back and forth. Even evil dictatorships fall.

Technology allows the top 1% to surveil, & control the bottom 99% with greater efficiency, than ever before. That won't end well.
Canal irrigation and the plow led to enslavement of so many people that it became the norm; at the same time, a critical mass of people had a steady food supply, even too much.

Like the earlier agriculturalists, the people of early industrialization made most of their things by themselves.

In this latest ebb and flow, trouble started when the people of early industrialization, fat and bored out of their minds, started using semi-slave labor in parts of Asia and South/Central America.

I agree, this will not end well.

At least a critical mass of people will have a steady food supply.

Mostly junk food, but food nevertheless.

That critical mass will probably be closer to 4.2-5.2 billion than to 8-9 billion, either way with about 1% on top, eating organic food and rockets for toys.

Good Luck!

Old 11-21-2021, 10:18 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Only thing to do is let them destroy our society, and then rebuild it after they are gone.
They can keep it going longer than you think. You can't simply be apathetic.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:18 AM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
One thin line
Draws the border
Between madness and the genius
But no pen can erase it
So we keep these things between us
Joe Puerta.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
He applied his intelligence improperly. While he carried out those bombings to try to bring attention to his manifesto, it also made those people dismiss his manifesto as the ravings of a mad man.
1) The manifesto wasn't released until 1995, after which there were no more bombings because his brother recognized the writings and turned him in.

2) How should he have applied his intelligence?

Old 11-21-2021, 10:46 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
I read his manifesto. At the time he wrote that, his mental state was in siege mode. Ted was a very bright dude who would go on to reap the rewards of a good education coupled with a high IQ, by making bombs, and slipping into madness. If nothing else, he represents the danger posed by mental illness, his fears of technology grew to a hatred of the technocrats themselves. Of course had he not been in that mental space he most likely would have been a well respected technocrat himself. His brilliance was his burden..

Old 11-21-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
His fears of technology grew to a hatred of the technocrats themselves. Of course had he not been in that mental space he most likely would have been a well respected technocrat himself.
Replace the word "technology" and "technocrat" with "slavery" and "slave-owner". Then tell me again how he is the crazy one.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:05 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I read his manifesto. At the time he wrote that, his mental state was in siege mode. Ted was a very bright dude who would go on to reap the rewards of a good education coupled with a high IQ, by making bombs, and slipping into madness. If nothing else, he represents the danger posed by mental illness, his fears of technology grew to a hatred of the technocrats themselves. Of course had he not been in that mental space he most likely would have been a well respected technocrat himself. His brilliance was his burden..
...i read it as well...i always wondered if kaczynski's irrational fear of tech only presented itself after he got his head f'd with by tim leary and his gang of misfits at harvard....ted was a volunteer in cia sponsored mind control experiments when he was at hararvd in the 60's...there's a rabbit hole you might wanna go down...

Old 11-21-2021, 11:20 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Maybe 300 yrs from now, but not in our lifetimes, as long as there is an OFF switch, it will always be under human control.

BTW, look at the advanced DARPA robots, they require large teams of humans to even function for a few minutes! LOL We are nowhere close to terminator type robots that can function on their own.
In addition to AI, DARPA is involved in brain chip technology. I found this NPR article about their secretive work and the connection quite interesting. Here is an excerpt:

Since the 1950s, the Pentagon has been pursuing artificial intelligence. And we keep coming up against a barrier. And what my sources suggested to me was that the key to artificial intelligence lies inside the human brain. And the suggestion is that these brain-chip programs that DARPA keeps very classified are, in fact, prototypes to push artificial intelligence to becoming a reality.

https://www.npr.org/2015/09/25/44333...entagons-brain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies