Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2021, 01:27 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Yeah....that Brady Campaign 40,000 number has been de-bunked in several places.

Find better stats, please.
https://www.bradyunited.org/key-statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 01:35 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
We have constitutional carry but I got a CCW anyway. I have owned guns since I was 8 and served in the Army. But I wanted to see what I could learn. And I did pickup some pointers and made a friend, the sheriff.
Yeah, I got one in Arizona too. Mostly because of reciprocity with I believe 38 other states and not having to get a NICS check each time I wanted to buy another gun. Other than that I doubt that I would have gotten one as Arizona is also a Constitutional carry state.

I already took tactical handgun courses when I lived in New York and have been interested in guns for a long time. Not just for self defense but mostly for recreational purposes and just because it's our right and I've always liked guns. I had all different types of cap guns, BB and pellet guns as a kid. Once I was old enough it was time for the real thing. I've been a lifelong member of the NRA and belonged to the NYSRPA (New York State Rifle and Pistol Assn.) when I lived there. In Arizona I belong to the AZCDL (Arizona Citizens Defense League) and still belong to the NRA.

We don't have a gun problem in the United States, we have a criminal problem. A criminal problem that our criminal justice system and bleeding heart leftists that just doesn't know how to deal with or even care. They just keep letting them out of prison knowing full well that they'll only continue their lives of crime once they're out. Yet they can't understand why so many people choose to arm themselves?

Old 11-22-2021, 01:36 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Yeah, I got one in Arizona too. Mostly because of reciprocity with I believe 38 other states and not having to get a NICS check each time I wanted to buy another gun. Other than that I doubt that I would have gotten one as Arizona is also a Constitutional carry state.

I already took tactical handgun courses when I lived in New York and have been interested in guns for a long time. Not just for self defense but mostly for recreational purposes and just because it's our right and I've always liked guns. I had all different types of cap guns, BB and pellet guns as a kid. Once I was old enough it was time for the real thing. I've been a lifelong member of the NRA and belonged to the NYSRPA (New York State Rifle and Pistol Assn.) when I lived there. In Arizona I belong to the AZCDL (Arizona Citizens Defense League) and still belong to the NRA.

We don't have a gun problem in the United States, we have a criminal problem. A criminal problem that our criminal justice system and bleeding heart leftists just doesn't know how to deal with or even care. They just keep letting them out of prison knowing full well that they'll only continue their lives of crime once they're out. Yet they can't understand why so many people choose to arm themselves?

Old 11-22-2021, 01:37 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

We don't have a gun problem in the United States, we have a criminal problem. A criminal problem that our criminal justice system and bleeding heart leftists just doesn't know how to deal with or even care. They just keep letting them out of prison knowing full well that they'll only continue their lives of crime once they're out. Yet they can't understand why so many people choose to arm themselves?
We still must get a background check each time we buy a gun. Just takes a few seconds.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:42 PM

There are only a few laws in history that are universally applicable. One of these is that the ruling classes do not want the peasantry armed. They will do what they can to convince you that to be armed is dangerous. They will attempt to do this while they themselves are surrounded by armed body guards. Idiots will not notice this hypocrisy and sycophants will ignore it. Fools will surrender their arms in the name of "safety". They will insensibly surrender their liberty at the same time. This is how slaves are made.

Quote:
“But to ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow. …
For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. 
Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding.†Jeff Snyder

Old 11-22-2021, 01:46 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
We still must get a background check each time we buy a gun. Just takes a few seconds.
That is one of the nice things about a CHL (as it has been called). Having all ready been checked out, the background check is not required. Go in, fill out the forms, pay the cash, and it is good to go.

Of course, when I talk about bank rolling someone's purchase, it is them who fills out the paper work, it is them who has the checks done on them, it is not my credentials that is greasing the skids.

These days, alas, I am afraid I would pay an FFL to do the paperwork, the NICS on even a family member even for just transferring a gun. Be it too great a risk or be it that it is just my professionalism showing (ie, "can a listening post confirm that what we are hearing is true?" (so to speak)), it is just the way things are.

Getting back to bank rolling, long story short of it, "you" want a gun, you want me to pay for it, we do it my way.

Finally, while I think offering to bank roll someone for a couple of hundred dollars of a purchase is a heck of a deal.................it has been turned down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A number of people, including many pros (LEOs, instructors etc.) believe the AR-15 platform is a great home defense firearm.

FWIIW my bedside firearm is a .45 ACP/M-1911 variant, handgun. Just wanted to illustrate that others don't agree.
I might add to this that things can vary if one is not only talking about the gun but also the person using it.....and hence, preferences may vary.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-22-2021 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-22-2021, 01:51 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Stop watching Fox news. You wont get the truth there. In 40+ years of owning guns, they have not once got up and shot anybody. Its the idiot people and their values, or lack of them.
I've had Fire insurance on my house for 45 years and it hasn't burned down yet, but it's still comforting to know that I've got it if the need arises.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
If an individual has a valid concealed weapons permit, at least not in Arizona. Maybe some dealers do it regardless, but none that I know of as it's not required by federal law. Of course maybe some state's require it per their state law. That I couldn't tell you.

We just go to the gun store fill out Form 4473 show them your drivers license and concealed weapons permit they make a copy of both and we're good to go. However you still can't buy a gun outside of your home state without having it transferred to a Federally licensed dealer within your home state even if you have a concealed weapons permit. At which point they will perform the NICS check if applicable and you'll have to fill out Form 4473.

I've been at gun stores on several occasions when the NICS system was down when someone who did not have a permit wanted to buy a gun only to be told to come back 3 days later to complete the sale. At which point they could take possession of the gun even if the NICS check wasn't completed.

Private sales are also legal in Arizona. Providing that the seller does not knowingly sell to an individual that is a prohibited possessor as described by federal law and the buyer must be a resident of Arizona. If an individual wishes to make a private sale to an out of state resident they must ship the firearm to a Federally licensed dealer within the buyers home state. At which point they will perform the NICS check if applicable and the buyer have to fill out Form 4473.

Quote:
ATF has recognized the concealed weapons permits in State A and State B as valid alternatives to a NICS check. Can a resident of State A use a concealed weapons permit issued by State A to purchase a long gun in State B without undergoing a NICS check? https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/nati...ck-system-nics

Old 11-22-2021, 02:07 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Agreed. Can I send you my wife's email so you can tell her about this? I'm tired of getting new ties at Christmas every year.
Ha!

Another gun or guitar is always a good gift choice for me......I always have to buy them myself though.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I've had Fire insurance on my house for 45 years and it hasn't burned down yet, but it's still comforting to know that I've got it if the need arises.
That same logic applies to wearing a seat belt while in a motor vehicle. Or a life preserver while out boating. Great point!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies