Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 10:35 AM

27,093 posts, read 13,357,524 times

Advertisements

A British politician has suggested that women playing traditional male roles is robbing boys of decent role models, and instead male role models are increasingly gangsters or unpleasant characters.

The new Doctor Who is to be a woman, and there are still rumours regarding James Bond, whilst super heroes are increasingly women.

So are boys going to grow up with role models from The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Peaky Blinders or from Rappers and the idiotic behaviour of some sports stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

A Tory MP has linked young men turning to crime to women playing traditionally male roles in TV and film.

Nick Fletcher said "female replacements" in shows like Doctor Who were robbing boys of good role models.

The only characters they had to look up to were gangsters the Krays and Tommy Shelby from Peaky Blinders, he said.

"Is there any wonder we are seeing so many young men committing crime?," he told MPs taking part in a debate on International Men's Day.

His comments were met with surprise by Labour Party chair Anneliese Dodds, who said she thought she had "misheard" him.

The reason boys turned to a life of crime was "far more complex" than "who should be the next 007", she added.

But later, Mr Fletcher tweeted a statement, saying his "rather nuanced point" that there were "increasingly fewer male role models for young boys" had been "misconstrued".

Female Doctor Who robs boys of role models, claims Tory MP - BBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 10:37 AM

21,100 posts, read 19,646,067 times
Well, they could always become transgender. That seems to be the fad.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:50 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,289,206 times
Oh please. This has been going on for decades, ever since the 1970's.

In America you'd be hard pressed to name a television commercial in the last 30+ years that features both men and woman where the man is strong and competent. The men are portrayed as juvenile, foolish, incompetent, even stupid. The women are presented as wonders who are wise, do everything right, mature, and tolerant of their bumbling male partners.

There has been a war on boys and men since the 1970's and it has been written about as such. A current male doesn't reach the same level of maturity and independence that an 18 year old did in 1940 until he is into his mid 20's now.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:05 AM

8,152 posts, read 6,900,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

In America you'd be hard pressed to name a television commercial in the last 30+ years that features both men and woman where the man is strong and competent. The men are portrayed as juvenile, foolish, incompetent, even stupid. The women are presented as wonders who are wise, do everything right, mature, and tolerant of their bumbling male partners.

There has been a war on boys and men since the 1970's and it has been written about as such. A current male doesn't reach the same level of maturity and independence that an 18 year old did in 1940 until he is into his mid 20's now.
True. It kind of started out as just catering to females who were the main target of the ads. Some kind of weird passive-aggressive b.s. to make them feel superior, in order to sell them stupid crap they don't need in the first place. Now it's morphed into utter madness. One has to ask...why? Why devalue men and their strength and the wonderful things that THEY have contributed and continue to contribute to this world? One wonders....

Old 11-25-2021, 11:15 AM

2,367 posts, read 906,086 times
Women "robbing" boys? Sounds like women are being blamed. But actually women are the ones who really need good men!

Old 11-25-2021, 12:41 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,781,327 times
Boys role models are the men they interact with IRL. If they’re being robbed, those are the people doing it.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:44 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,781,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Who believes commercials are real life? Nobody. There are plenty of strong male roles in movies (basically every Marvel movie ever made) and on TV (plenty of males in roles as doctors, lawyers, firefighters etc). If you believe commercials actually impact boys, they have plenty of other make believe TV and Movies to watch to counter the effect.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:09 PM

7,283 posts, read 3,472,514 times
Charlie Puth and John Legend are the Beta Male role models just perfect for our Jaime Gumb aspiring boys

Old 11-25-2021, 01:56 PM

50,184 posts, read 46,887,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Who believes commercials are real life? Nobody. There are plenty of strong male roles in movies (basically every Marvel movie ever made) and on TV (plenty of males in roles as doctors, lawyers, firefighters etc). If you believe commercials actually impact boys, they have plenty of other make believe TV and Movies to watch to counter the effect.
Speaking of, every commercial now has to have the token gay couple, mixed race couple and plenty of minorities. I'm a minority and just think this woke garbage is just that, garbage. If I was a company looking to sell to my biggest demographic, that is who I'd target. Not what the woke have bent us down to.

Old 11-25-2021, 02:18 PM

4,638 posts, read 1,938,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Speaking of, every commercial now has to have the token gay couple, mixed race couple and plenty of minorities. I'm a minority and just think this woke garbage is just that, garbage. If I was a company looking to sell to my biggest demographic, that is who I'd target. Not what the woke have bent us down to.
Not a minority but i have always felt that if i was a minority i would find this type of thing a bit insulting. It is basically saying that white people, especially guys, will buy a product regardless of who is portrayed in the ad but that minorities will be more influenced into buying a product if the product being sold is portrayed used by a minority group of some type. At least this appears to be the Corporate thinking behind such ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies