Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 10:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Deflect? Or expand the scope of this discussion beyond just "Buttigieg is a leftist"? The impact of the construction of freeways in urban areas is worth having. Too bad this one immediately devolved into a lot of "leftist this" "leftist that" blather.
Huh? This thread is precisely about Buttigieg and his Leftist narrative of roads and race. If you don’t like the topic, go talk to Buttigieg. He’s the one pushing it. If you want to expand the scope, you can go start another thread in the urban planning subforum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 10:47 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Huh? This thread is precisely about Buttigieg and his Leftist narrative of roads and race. If you want to expand the scope, you can go start another thread in the urban planning subforum.
Okay. Buttigieg's a leftist. What's left to say?

Old 11-26-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ANY highway/expressway/parkway will have some negative impacts on a few people

just like highspeed rail, if it ever happens, will have negative impacts
Exactly. If you live immediately by it, it will probably be negative like air quality, noise, traffic, etc. but they also have positives too like access to highways, better transit and easier travel.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Okay. Buttigieg's a leftist. What's left to say?
You seem to conveniently leave out his whole narrative about roads and race. You jumped on that bandwagon until you were proven wrong and now you want to change the topic. Typical.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:09 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I am not reading any of your possibly Leftist slanted links. I live in this area and know the history of the Cross Bronx. It had a devastating impact on the neighborhoods immediately surrounding it. It basically cut off neighborhoods from each other.

As with everything, there are good and bad. As a whole, the Cross Bronx was not all negative as it did allow for better movement of people and goods through the Bronx and NYC. Without highways, NYC surely would not have been able to grow to be as successful as it has. You have to take the bad with the good sometimes.

Regardless, you are only trying to deflect from the topic, which is that the Democrats claim that highways like the Cross Bronx was due to racism when in fact it was not.

Translation: If I deny, deflect, and bury my head in the sand, then I don't have to.....in my own mind..... expose myself to being wrong.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Moses could easily have lessened the damage to some of the neighborhoods his freeways passed through by slightly altering the routes. Like running the Gowanus Expressway in Sunset Park, Brooklyn up 2nd Avenue instead of the commercial heart of the neighborhood 3rd Avenue. Likewise a slight alteration to the Cross-Bronx in East Tremont would have spared many residences and buildings and would have lessened the blight that followed in its wake. But Moses would always reject and ignore any community concerns about the effect of his projects no matter how rational and reasonable those concerns were.
Robert Moses did not care about race...any race... he wanted to build roads that would be economical yet productive

for example the SOB Seaford Oyster bay expressway, was SUPPOSED to go through Oyster Bay, and then across the sound (with a bridge) to Bridgeport, Connecticut ……. the NIMBY's of oyster bay stopped him, and the result was Long Island was cut off from a natural way to New England

the Cross-Bronx while not very pretty (feels like you are driving in a trench). is a god send to travel...and is the ONLY route from the GWB to the Throgs neck/whitestone (which is the northern route to get to Long island... the Cross-Bronx is part of I-95 (you know the federal highway that runs from Maine to Miami

oh and BTW Moses didn’t even build the Cross-Bronx. It wasn’t his idea, and he had no special sorcerer’s ability to force politicians to carry out his evil plans.
He was just delivering what every governor, mayor and borough president had wanted since the 1920s: more roads. The conventional wisdom was that massive highways across dense neighborhoods were a fine idea.....and... The people Moses displaced for the ’50s project were white and middle class.

oh and btw what the race baiters want ..to "cap the cross Bronx" will cost more than they think, by 100x ...the infrastructure bill includes just $7.5 billion for these type of projects across the whole country...meanwhile the cost would be in the range of 20 billion to "cap" the C-B

First, New York (City) is unlikely to shut down the highway, used by 200,000 cars and trucks each day, during construction. Politicians loathe such inconveniences.

Second, any deck longer than 1,000 feet needs ventilation shafts and structural support. That means taking more land alongside, or narrowing the roadway.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Translation: If I deny, deflect, and bury my head in the sand, then I don't have to.....in my own mind..... expose myself to being wrong.
No. More like: I know when propaganda when I see it and not fall for it.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Robert Moses did not care about race...any race... he wanted to build roads that would be economical yet productive

for example the SOB Seaford Oyster bay expressway, was SUPPOSED to go through Oyster Bay, and then across the sound (with a bridge) to Bridgeport, Connecticut ……. the NIMBY's of oyster bay stopped him, and the result was Long Island was cut off from a natural way to New England

the Cross-Bronx while not very pretty (feels like you are driving in a trench). is a god send to travel...and is the ONLY route from the GWB to the Throgs neck/whitestone (which is the northern route to get to Long island... the Cross-Bronx is part of I-95 (you know the federal highway that runs from Maine to Miami

oh and BTW Moses didn’t even build the Cross-Bronx. It wasn’t his idea, and he had no special sorcerer’s ability to force politicians to carry out his evil plans.
He was just delivering what every governor, mayor and borough president had wanted since the 1920s: more roads. The conventional wisdom was that massive highways across dense neighborhoods were a fine idea.....and... The people Moses displaced for the ’50s project were white and middle class.

oh and btw what the race baiters want ..to "cap the cross Bronx" will cost more than they think, by 100x ...the infrastructure bill includes just $7.5 billion for these type of projects across the whole country...meanwhile the cost would be in the range of 20 billion to "cap" the C-B

First, New York (City) is unlikely to shut down the highway, used by 200,000 cars and trucks each day, during construction. Politicians loathe such inconveniences.

Second, any deck longer than 1,000 feet needs ventilation shafts and structural support. That means taking more land alongside, or narrowing the roadway.
Exactly. I am in northern New Jersey. I need to travel regularly to Queens and Long Island for my work. If it wasn’t for the Cross Bronx, there would not be any feasible alternative without having to go through the traffic nightmare that is Manhattan, going from stop light to stop light.

I am among millions that travel the Cross Bronx. Can you imagine all those people driving through neighborhood streets in the Bronx just to get across NYC? Can you imagine the hit to commerce in this whole NYC area if there was no Cross Bronx?

Robert Moses for all his faults literally brought NYC into the 20th century.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:36 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Actually I did.
Then you wouldn't still be thinking they made low bridges to be racist.

1) The parkway had buses already illegal to be on it.

2) There are many overpass bridges, over 100, and it would be dramatically expensive to make them all higher for something that was illegal to take on the parkway anyways.

3) The buses when the parkway was made went to white majority neighborhoods, so it would have primarily impacted whites getting to the beach by bus down the parkway. This makes it a moot point about racist bridges.

4) There were other public transportation to that beach including from minority neighborhoods including by rail.

5) Historians that look into it say there is no evidence it was made to be racist against blacks and Puerto Ricans getting to the beach. Those historians have citations.

All Buttigieg has is woke people without citations.

Wake up. Break free from the cult.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:55 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:

This is an interesting article.

THE MENACE OF THE CROSS BRONX EXPRESSWAY
https://blogs.riverdale.edu/urbanstu...nx-expressway/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies